News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

wsmorrison

Re:USGA Archives On Line!
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2006, 07:38:50 AM »
Tom,

Flynn had the patent and it was sold through Flynn and Peters.  Peters was a drycleaner in Ardmore, originally from MA like Flynn.  I was keeping that a secret from the site until the book came out.  Oh well, it doesn't matter as the story should be in next month's Fore, the Merion newsletter.

John Yerger III was instrumental in the discovery of the Flynn patent.

Winged Foot had the baskets for a short time.  There's one upstairs in the archives that Neal Regan was kind enough to show me.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 07:40:05 AM by Wayne Morrison »

peter_p

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2006, 11:48:54 AM »
me bad

Steve Curry

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2006, 01:42:40 PM »
Good Stuff.

I saw this posted yesterday and then it disappeared?

Steve

Jason Topp

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2006, 05:12:06 PM »
The May 1933 Golf Illustrated has a couple of interesting articles:

One is by Tillinghast describing how Pine Valley was built.  

Another is by Mackenzie describing talking about ways to reduce expenses in order to cut the price of golf in half.

I can't figure out how to post a link but found it by searching for Pasatiempo which resulted in only 4 hits.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2006, 02:52:30 AM »
Have finally given this a look and it appears to be the greatest thing since the mulligan.
But...
For those of us with dial-up, is there, as the AAF has, a shortcut to particular items within a magazine? First thing I clicked on was a 5 MB PDF that my computer said would take over 2 hours to download the whole thing.
Help!
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2006, 07:42:41 AM »
Anyone got any tips for getting the best out of this.

E.G. a search for Prince's GC reveals an article from Golf Illustrated  Feb 1932.  It takes minutes to load. Pictures look enticing, but I can't read the text nor copy and save.

Help required for a technophobe.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2006, 08:02:31 AM »
Tony

I have done a search as well.  I can't even get it to load.  Doesn't clicking the article name load the article?

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Eric Franzen

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2006, 08:30:54 AM »
The search results links to information that is presented as pdf-files. These files are quite large and will take quite a while to download and display if you are using a dial-up connection.

You can right click on the linked search results and choose "save target as..." to save the file on your local hd.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2006, 11:22:44 AM »
Thanks Eric but it keeps timing out before completing.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 11:22:57 AM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2006, 12:20:21 PM »
Tony, if you want to run with the big dogs, you better get broadband.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 12:20:40 PM by Ralph_Livingston »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

TEPaul

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2006, 08:22:25 PM »
Is there an economical way the USGA website could make this digitalized archived material such as old periodicals (Golf Illustrated and American Golfer) available to the majority of computers in a more easily downloadable way?

Doug Siebert

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2006, 01:09:11 AM »
This is about as easy as it is ever going to get, since it doesn't look like the quality of the scanned material is high enough for OCR software to translate the pictures into text.

You've got connections with those guys, you could suggest that it would make the materials more accessible to researchers if they let you order the entire collection burned onto DVDs.  At say a couple pages per megabyte for typical scanned PDF files that would be 10,000 pages per DVD.  How much material do they have?
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Eric Franzen

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2006, 02:57:05 AM »
I am involved in a similar project and think that there could be ways to convert the archive material into searchable XML-data - with the layout intact.

IM if contacts are needed.

A DVD could be one way to finance part of the expenses. The New Yorker have succesfully converted their archive (over 4 000 issues ) into a stand alone DVD called "The complete New Yorker" - http://tinyurl.com/oobu7
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 02:57:49 AM by Eric Franzen »

Sean_A

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2006, 03:07:55 AM »
Tony, if you want to run with the big dogs, you better get broadband.

Ralph

I have broadband and a patience threshold theory.  If a Guinness can be poured before a file can be downloaded then the file ain't worth waiting for.

Ciao

Sean  
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 03:08:52 AM by Sean Arble »

ForkaB

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2006, 03:28:24 AM »
Sean

To test, I just downloaded a 1932 Golf Illustrated issue (with an article on Princes) in about 15 seconds.  Either your "broadband" is much skinnier than advertised, or you are an exceedingly fast pourer of Guinness. :)

Tony

If you can't read the articles, just zoom in on them (at the top of the Adobe tool box).

Mark_Guiniven

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2006, 04:02:21 AM »

You can cut and paste the text in the GI's so they must be OCR'ed.

Never like to be picky when it's a free service. I'm looking forward to the British Golf Illustrateds going up I know. But I don't see any reason (other than time and money) why they couldn't have just listed all the articles like they do with the green section record and allow people to download each article separately in pdf.

At the moment you're downloading 12 to 20MB for maybe only one or two articles you want. Unless of course it's important to you to know what the world's best telephone was in May 1933 or whether 'Luckies' were toasted or not. I'll tell you, they were, and no one knew what lung cancer was either.

Sean_A

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2006, 05:17:14 AM »
Sean

To test, I just downloaded a 1932 Golf Illustrated issue (with an article on Princes) in about 15 seconds.  Either your "broadband" is much skinnier than advertised, or you are an exceedingly fast pourer of Guinness. :)

Tony

If you can't read the articles, just zoom in on them (at the top of the Adobe tool box).

Rich

I tried again just now and the article downloaded in less than Guinness top up time.  The internet is a wierd and wonderful thing.

Ciao

Sean

Richard Muldoon

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2006, 05:28:10 AM »
Sean,
Guinness at 10.15 in the morning.
Is the thought of the impending round of golf with Tony driving you to drink?  :)

Sean_A

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2006, 05:34:29 AM »
Sean,
Guinness at 10.15 in the morning.
Is the thought of the impending round of golf with Tony driving you to drink?  :)

Richard

Guinness is good for you!  I took that to mean at anytime.  Speaking of round.  The weather is looking quite chilly for the week.  I hope we don't run into frost problems.

Ciao

Sean

Richard Muldoon

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2006, 06:01:02 AM »
Sean,
the weather forecast looks much the same as last weekend. My course wasn't frozen, but I sure was.
I don't know how Pennard plays in those conditions, but NE or SW winds are just about the toughest conditions you can get at my course.

TEPaul

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2006, 07:39:48 AM »
DougS:

It's not a matter of having connections. The USGA is doing their homework---eg they read this thread. Only problem is today they may have hangovers from pouring too much Guiness yesterday.  ;)

To be safe though IM me your technical suggestions.

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2006, 09:26:17 AM »
Bryan,

That hole still very much exists. It's the 3rd Hole at Cobb's Creek (Olde).

Kyle,

I am having a hard time reconciling the image in the picture with the current hole.  Did they divert the creek so that it no longer runs behind the green?  Is the photo taken from the current fairway?  It doesn't seem like the current fairway has that much elevation.

Geoff

Sean_A

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2006, 01:03:55 PM »
Sean,
the weather forecast looks much the same as last weekend. My course wasn't frozen, but I sure was.
I don't know how Pennard plays in those conditions, but NE or SW winds are just about the toughest conditions you can get at my course.

Richard

Like most seaside courses, the wind often reverses during the day.  I can't say what is usual wind at Pennard.  I can say that when I have been there the wind is often coming from the north in the afternoon, especially in winter.  It will be cold even with only a one club wind.  

Is there something I don't know about yer brother?  I felt no trepidation until you posted!  

Tom P.

I have already stated that Guinness is good for you.  I know this because I have read their advertising.  The Irish may be forgetful, but they are not deceitful.  The USGA hangovers must be due to a bad barrel.

Ciao

Sean

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back