News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Lapper

Have we really solved this?
« on: February 14, 2006, 10:16:34 AM »
Reprinted & cut (w/permission) from today's Bloomberg.com:

Lower day-to-day maintenance costs mean cheaper fees for golfers --average spending per player at Pacific Golf's courses fell to 10,439 yen in September, from 11,798 yen a year earlier -- and more revenue as Pacific Golf can book additional tee times.

Greenkeepers in Japan typically use too much water on the greens and fairways, especially in summer, Lenihan said. That lets fungus grow on the grass, which then has to be controlled with expensive chemicals. The solution is less water.

``It's simple science,'' he said. ``We solved that problem in the U.S. 20 years ago.''

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000101&sid=ars0NgUG9uq4&refer=japan

Obviously they have "found" this an answer over in Japan, but have we in North America really figured this out yet?

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Patrick_Mucci

Re:Have we really solved this?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 10:25:05 AM »
Steve,

The solution has been figured out.

It's the application or implementation that's been hindered by cultural perspectives.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 10:36:36 AM »
Pat,

While it is tough to generalize for either you or me, I believe that GCSAA stats show that US supers have reduced water and chemical inputs substantially over the last decade.  I call it the silent revoution that no one seems to talk about, but it is happening more here than generally supposed by the general public, methinks.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 12:39:27 PM »
"I call it the silent revoution that no one seems to talk about, but it is happening more here than generally supposed by the general public, methinks."

Jeff:

You may be right that it's the "silent" revolution over here and that's nice to hear but methinks that revolution should continue but that it should get really LOUD!!!   ;)

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 01:02:08 PM »
TEPaul,

It is a shame that the GCSAA (who I think should take the lead on this) doesn't promote this idea more often.  I hear it when raising a defense of a new course.

For that matter, one of the things I took from the recent Golf Industry Show is just how defensive we are about the game.

Slow play?  Where would you rather be than on the golf course?  Isn't the point to get away?

Golf Courses Bad for environment?  See above, and where are there any more beautiful places, especially near big cities?

Elitist Game?  Not really, just check out all those public courses and Senior communities all over Florida.  Lots of people play golf for less than $20 a shot.

You get the idea....given how great golf courses are, we should be celebrating their very existence - in all forms from affordable muni to ocean front resort - rather than kind of feebly defend them as we have been doing.

Just my $0.02.....
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back