News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Another New Book Is Out
« on: February 09, 2006, 01:41:18 PM »
Cornish & Hurdzan's Golf Course Design to hit the streets any day if not already.  It promises to be another bible.  

"This beautifully presented and illustrated book commences by providing an outline of its history, highlighting the realtionship between design and literary authorship."

"The authors emphasize the rapid evolution of the profession and the art form of the last two decades which is reflected in the world's 30,000 to 35,000 golf courses."

Part I  The Architecture of Golf Courses-a Chronology
Part II  The Literature of Golf Course Design]
Part III  The Bibliography
Part IV  Arangements of Large Collections
Part V  Resources

If this book is half as good as The Golf Course, this is destined to be a classic.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Marty Bonnar

Re:Another New Book Is Out
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 02:59:44 PM »
ANOTHER Book titled 'Golf Course Design' by Cornish?

Shome Mishtake Shurely?

Has the man run out of of imaginative titles for books on golf course design? Why, there must be many:
Course Design for Golf
Design for Golf Courses
Golf Design for Courses
Course Golf Design

FBD.

PS Sean, got my first Jack fiver yesterday. Still on the lookout for one for you...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 03:00:50 PM by Martin Bonnar »
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 04:53:38 PM »
I bought 20 Jack fivers at the Open and they have been very popular gifts here at home.  Sorry Sean, but my inventory is exhausted.

Jack really milked that one, didn't he?  I was standing outside the really big beer tent when he posed for 10 minutes atop the Swilcan burn bridge.  You could see it all (for a long time!) on the big screen TV.  There wasn't a dry eye in the place but I think because the Scots were chugging their beers too fast!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 08:13:50 AM »
Some other classics you may have missed are now available at a discount from www.anyonefor tee.com. I don't know I've coped without them.

AnyoneForTee has acquired a large collection of 'remaindered' golf books at very special prices for its readers. Don't miss this opportunity to add to your golfing library with these titles from many of the game's most famous practitioners! All books are new, in perfect condition, and it's strictly first come, first served! Email us your orders to bookbargains@anyonefortee.com.
Seve's Car Park Compendium, by Severiano Ballesteros: a witty and candid account of Seve's Houdini-like ability to escape from the most unlikely places. Contains vital tips from the Master on the car park recovery (pitching wedge from tarmac or earth, but sand wedge from gravel), plus a section on car park etiquette (how to apologise for smashing a windscreen). A must for any wild driver! 178pp, numerous illustrations, was £14.95, AFT's price only £3.99!

Managing the Press, by Colin Montgomerie and Nick Faldo: remember Nick in 1992 thanking the press 'from the heart of my bottom'? Or Monty turning on the charm when asked yet again how it feels never to have won a major? You too can develop the icy stare and the cutting remark if you follow the advice of these two maestros of the media. Paperback, 130pp, was £6.99, AFT's price only £1.99!

Speed up your play, with Bernhard Langer, Niclas Fasth and Padraig Harrington: this tuned-up trio show you how to zip round the course in a shade under five hours, without detriment to your game! The chapters on Club Selection, Practice Swings and Reading the Greens are alone worth twice the cover price! Don't miss this opportunity to win more friends at your club! 166pp, was £14.95, AFT's price only £4.99!

The Importance of a Good Grip, by Sergio Garcia (in 5 volumes): Sergio takes you through every aspect of the grip, and the regrip, and the re-regrip, etc... Whether you're 'Vardon', 'Interlocking' or 'Baseball', you cannot afford to be without this ultimate treatise on getting your grip right. 654pp, richly illustrated, published at £44.95, AFT's price only £9.99!

The 5th putt - the easiest shot in golf, by Phil Mickelson: 'Lefty' shows you how to look every inch the professional as you five putt for the third time in your round! If you're a 'yipper', this is the book for you! 145pp, was £19.95, AFT's price only£5.99!

Think before you hit!, by Jean Van de Velde: the ever-popular Frenchman describes his views on course management and strategy, with numerous real-life examples. The section on holes with water in play (wittily entitled 'Eau la la') is surely destined to become a classic of golf instruction. 212pp, published at £22.00, AFT's price only £6.99!

Favourite Fairway Fashion Tips, with Laura Davies and Fanny Sunesson: two of the great characters in golf reveal the fashion secrets which have taken them to the top of their respective professions. We particularly enjoyed the 'How short the shorts?' and 'Bad hair day?' chapters, which deal with these sensitive subjects with candour and good humour. Many excellent never-before-published photos, 171pp, was £18.95, AFT's price only £5.99!

Keep Fit for Golf!, by Craig Stadler: 'the Walrus' lets us in on the dietary and workout regimens which have brought him success on both the PGA and Champions Tours. You too can look like Craig by following his simple advice! (Includes a special appendix by Craig's son Kevin for the younger golfer.) Lavishly illustrated, 140pp, was £14.95, AFT's price slimmed right down to £4.95!

How to handle pressure, by Greg Norman (with a foreword by Thomas Bjorn): If you've ever felt the sweaty palms, the dry mouth and the shaking legs, don't worry! Greg and Thomas have known it a hundred times worse, and tell you how they deal with it. Greg is 'Master-ful' and Thomas is refreshingly 'Open', as they take the fear out of choking. You need never feel embarassed by your inadequacy again! 185pp, first published at £24.95, AFT's very special price only £2.99!

Tough shots made easy! - assorted pamphlets from the Duffers Golf Club teaching staff: including such perennial favourites as 'The High Cut Shot for Shankers', 'Three Feet Downhill Left To Right And This For The Half for Yippers' and 'OB All Down The Right And Wind In Your Face for Chronic Slicers'. Were £4.95 each, now a snip from AFT at only 99p!!  
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 08:17:09 AM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 08:47:32 AM »
Tony -- as a big golf book collector, I always thought I kept abreast of the latest publications ....

how could I have missed these??

I'll be ordering all today! ;)

thanks so much! ;D

pt

P.S.  I heard Tiger will be adding a chapter in the next edition of Seve's book called "How to deal with Huge Boulders and Other Obstacles after a Wild Drive"...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 10:20:23 AM »
Paul AS A FELLOW BIBLIOPHILE CAN I RECCOMMEND YOU SEARCH HARD AND LONG FOR THESE FORGOTTEN CLASSICS. wITHOUT THEM NO MAN CAN CLAIM HIS COLECTION IS COMPLETE.

“Sunningdale, a field guide to the construction” G Crump

“Yoga for Golfers; how to be fit for your next big match”  Seve Ballesteros

“Keeping it brief. TXTNG 4 BGNRS”.  TEP.

“A stroke of Genius, a celebration of the CONGU system.” T Huckaby.

“The Chinese influence in Arts and Crafts” Mao Tse Tung

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 10:27:14 AM »
“A stroke of Genius, a celebration of the CONGU system.” T Huckaby.

I have never been more honored.  
 ;D ;D ;D

OK, so I need to add another....

"I'm OK, you're full of crap:  tactical debating techniques" - P. Mucci.

;D ;D

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 10:48:01 AM »
thanks so much Tony and Tom ;D....wow, I've really missed quite a few haven't I ??

I wonder if there are any others that I've missed???
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 12:53:53 PM »
Do you have a copy of 'A modest book about golf' by Dr A MacKenzie?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 12:59:10 PM »
Tony,

I've been told that the illustrations in some copies of Favourite Fairway Fashion Tips are badly reproduced.  Could you, please, post a few samples of the illustrations in your sale copies so that we may judge for ourselves whether the price is justified?

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 04:33:22 PM »

I don't think you can fault the reproduction.

Mark if you will return my

"Great Extractors, a pictorial History" by Bill Coore
I've finished

"What's all the fuss, a new look at Royal Dornohc?" by Goodale.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 04:47:34 PM by Tony Muldoon »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 11:41:38 PM »
Sean, I can't find anyplace that carries the book.  I even went on Grant books.  Ideas?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

T_MacWood

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006, 09:09:48 AM »
Are you certain this is a new book. Cornish and Muir Graves have a book titled 'Golf Course Design'. Cornish has another book called 'Eighteen Stakes on a Sunday Afternoon' or something like that. The description of the 'new' book sounds like "Eighteen...". Both books are a few years old.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back