News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gene Greco

Kauri Cliffs on Golf Channel right now!
« on: February 10, 2006, 08:34:08 PM »
A glimpse of New Zealand for those who haven't been, including myself.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Michael Robin

Re:Kauri Cliffs on Golf Channel right now!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 08:55:37 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up. Holes to watch for: 4,5,7,8,11,12,13,14,15,16,17. Haere ra.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 09:10:18 PM by Michael Robin »

wsmorrison

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 08:57:36 PM »
Thanks, Gene.  I got the DVR going.  I'll watch it tomorrow and see the snow pile up  :P  Have a great weekend.

redanman

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 10:08:28 AM »
If you missed it, that particular SWWG gets shown a lot, at least once a month.

Beautiful spot on my list of places to visit in NZ.  I hear the accommodations are really top notch.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 12:48:12 PM »
Guys,

Having played Kauri Cliffs, it is indeed magnificant and has glorious views (and very nice accomodations). Howeve, like Old Head, it's not a golf course that maintains a consistent selection of great holes or very good architecture. Many of the holes are tamed down and the inland holes 1-4 aren't particularly noteworthy. Many of the cliffside holes 14-18 are visually stunning, but sequentially similar in feel and play.

I suspect that in a comparison, Cape Kidnappers (I've not played there....yet ;) ) blows it away. I've heard that Julian Robertson, the owner of both, felt similarly after the completion of KC and once he laid his eyes on the CK terrain, decided it would serve to correct any previous shortcomings. I have a good friend (who is a member of Sand Hills) playing both in the next weeks and I eagerly await his judgement.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 01:02:23 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Michael Robin

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 02:57:45 PM »
Bill - The accommodations are spectacular, and the Robertsons are great hosts.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back