News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Glenn Spencer

Tennessee Bent vs. Ohio Bent
« on: February 09, 2006, 01:59:34 PM »
I noticed at the Honors Course that the greens seemed harder to the foot, but held better than the courses in Ohio, which seem softer, but don't seem to be as receptive. I was wondering if anyone had some comments and also, where is the line drawn between bent and bermuda? Is it somewhere in Kentucky, is it imaginary? I understand that it can be implemented with a great deal of cost, like at ANGC, but where is the point, where it doesn't cost as much?

A.G._Crockett

Re:Tennessee Bent vs. Ohio Bent
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 02:04:20 PM »
In GA, the fall line around Macon would be a rough approximation of where bermuda greens would outnumber bent, but that is rough.  There are courses with bent in FL and on the GA coast, and courses with bermuda on the south end of metro Atlanta.

I'd be surprised if you found bermuda greens in KY or anywhere north of Atlanta, other than coastal regions.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Lawrence Largent

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 02:21:28 PM »
There is a course in Chattanooga, Bear Trace at Harrison bay  has Champion Bermuda and a number of courses in Memphis that have it also. Its very hard to compare the greens at the Honors Course to any other greens in america not to say there better but for tournaments David Stone is a Genius at getting tournament ready greens.

Lawrence

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 02:26:33 PM »
Thank you Lawrence, I felt like I was witness to something special at The Honors, but I did not know what the cause was, now I do. Can one compare The Honors greens to Augusta's with the proper amount of rain?

Jerry Lemons

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 07:26:19 PM »
I noticed at the Honors Course that the greens seemed harder to the foot, but held better than the courses in Ohio, which seem softer, but don't seem to be as receptive. I was wondering if anyone had some comments

Glenn the sand has a lot to do with firmness as well as the management. How often greens are topdressed, the age of the greens and the amount of irrigation will effect firmness. Some Supts like Dave Stone keep them dry as possible for a healthier turf.

between bent and Bermuda? Is it somewhere in Kentucky, is it imaginary? I understand that it can be implemented with a great deal of cost, like at ANGC, but where is the point, where it doesn't cost as much?

Your are right Kentucky is the magical land of both bentgrass and bermudagrass greens, though must in KY are Bent. I course in Paducah has Champion berm Greens. In Tennessee most too are bent but champion bermudagrass has made a big mark on course in TN such as TPC @ Memphis and Brentwood in Nashville. I think the verdict on winter hardiness is till out on this and the other ultradwaft grasses. We have not seen a hard winter since 97.

I understand that it can be implemented with a great deal of cost, like at ANGC, but where is the point, where it doesn't cost as much?
Bentgrass cost $12 per pound for seed and take 2 lbs per 1000 sf on greens
Champion cost as much as  about 20 times as much to plant.
Its very hard to compare the greens at the Honors Course to any other greens in America not to say there better but for tournaments David Stone is a Genius at getting tournament ready greens.

Agree he does a great job year round! one of the sharpest Supt in the biz!

Can one compare The Honors greens to Augusta's with the proper amount of rain?
Rainfall in both areas is similar The Honors greens are Penncross bent and AN is a new A2/A4 /Pennlinks Bent, best I recall(all which are newer grassed with finer denser blades that make a better putting surface. Both location are difficult to keep bent alive 12 months a year but remember AN shuts down in June-Oct and put shade cloth and big fans on their greens in the summer.
Times flys and your the pilot !

Lawrence Largent

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 08:47:58 PM »
I have a few friends who are members at the Honors Course and I was playing with them one day they asked Mr. Stone how often do you water the greens? He laughed and said I don't, God waters them.

Lawrence
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 09:15:53 AM by Lawrence Largent »

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 08:57:44 PM »
Thank you Jerry that was an awesome explanation! Good story Lawrence, it felt like God was doing the only watering.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back