News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

redanman

Kevin Stadler - what would you do?
« on: February 12, 2006, 11:51:42 AM »
If you were he, winning at Perth, the JWC, would you continue on the Euro Tour or the Nationwide Tour?

Also to those in WA or who have been there, what opinions do you offer about the community of the Vines?  It seems from the aerials and the website that the homes are adjacent to the course yet nowhere to be seen.  There is a community built around the golf courses which at least on TV looks invisible. True?

VINES Website

Dave Bourgeois

Re:Kevin Stadler - what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 12:05:25 PM »
Is it easier to get exempt on the PGA tour by being tops on the Nationwide or highly ranked on the Euro?  

If it were me I think I'd learn more on the Euro tour.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 02:09:00 PM »

I think it would be a great life experience to play on the European tour for one year. Also, I can't imagine his golfing career will be any worse for it. Assuming he has no young children, I would go fot it. - Dan
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

redanman

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 03:17:09 PM »
I didn't post it, but I think playing a year on the Euro Tour would be much better for one's game and one's growth as a person.

Does a Euro Tour win exempt you into the Open Championship?

Eric Franzen

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 03:31:19 PM »
I didn't post it, but I think playing a year on the Euro Tour would be much better for one's game and one's growth as a person.

Does a Euro Tour win exempt you into the Open Championship?

No, it doesn't.

Or well, if you win Smurfit, Scottish Open or Open de France you are exempt in category 8.

Some of the other categories that are directly related to ET are 4 (first 20 of ET Order of Merit year before) and 6 - top 3 in ET Order of Merit after BMW Championship.

http://www.opengolf.com/players/qualifications_category.sps
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 03:34:58 PM by Eric Franzen »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 03:43:54 PM »
Playing well on the Euro Tour could elevate his world ranking for eligibility into the World Championship events and the majors but would have no effect on his PGA Tour eligibility. Returning to the Nationwide Tour and winning 3 times this year or finishing in top 20 money leaders at end of year gives him the coveted PGA card. I don't think he cares a hoot about the quality of courses he plays.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 03:46:06 PM »
I think he would be better off from a professional standpoint playing on the Nationwide Tour. He will see courses that more closely approximate what he will later experience on the PGA Tour (assuming he makes it). He will also in all likelihood get greater exposure to American fans, making him more appealing to US sponsors—where the real money is.

peter_p

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 04:56:57 PM »
     Pretty sure he now has a two year exemption on the European Tour. Playing there would certainly elevate his world-wide rankings.
     Having said that, I'd stay on the Nationwide Tour if he hopes to return to the PGA tour. It is certainly less expensive
than globe trotting.

rgkeller

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 05:20:50 PM »
Nationwide Tour in an attempt to get back to PGA Tour.

He now has the ET to fall back to.

Jesse Jones

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 05:23:54 PM »
He's gotta play the Nationwide Tour. One, I'd think he'd like to be closer to the US to take advantage of any sponsors exemptions for PGA Tour events.
Secondly, he should be even better on the Nationwide Tour. He knows the tracks, the competition and the schedule better than on the European Tour.
Finally, he can't use Dad's comps at Smith and Wollesnky's..  
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 05:24:44 PM by Jesse Jones »

James Bennett

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 05:32:06 PM »
I hope he's playing on the nationwide Tour, in Adelaide at Royal Adelaide this week (the Jacob's Creek).  It's the richest Nationwide Tour, and winning that event just about guarantees a ticket to the US Tour the following year (Stephen Bowditch won last year - he can really play and shoot low when he gets going).  Not sure if it is US$1M in total prize-money, or OZ$1M (ie US$0.75M).  Perth was about 3 times the prize money.

James B

Edit - I just saw in the local Adelaide paper that Kevin is staying on to play the jacobs Creek this week at RA, and the following week in NZ (also a nationwide tour event).  In fact, he was surprised to have won this week, as he only took up a sponsors exemption to get used to 'down under' time and weather, so improving his prospects for success on the Nationwide Tour (remember, the Perth event was the bigger tournament prizemoney wise).  

The next two weeks are the primary focus of his visit down under, to improve his chance of return to the PGA Tour through the Nationwide qualifying option.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 09:54:05 PM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

redanman

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 10:25:19 AM »
K Stadler's trip to WA was to acclimate himself to the time change et.al. and it proved profitable with his "unexpected" win.  His original idea was to play in the NW Tour event at Jacob's Creek at RA and merely sought an advantage by arriving a week early.

I would think that he can get some pretty good sponsor's exemptions on the PGATour®.  

If it's about the money as some have posed, I would think he's now exposed himself to some guaranteed appearance money not just on the Euro Tour, but elsewhere in the world.

I still think it's an interesting box that he's opened by his win yesterday (With a brilliant exclamatory shot to finish to boot.)

David_Elvins

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 10:42:23 AM »
I think he can probably afford to play some Nationwide and some Euro tour events, depending how he goes the next two weeks.  Two good finshes in Adelaide and New Zealand would just about secure his spot for next year and allow him to play more Euro events.

Bill V,

Re the housing.  From what I saw, nothing special.  The housing that is set back from the golf course is purely residential suburban stuff (apart from the fact that it isnt in a suburb but in the middle of nowhere) whilst the townhouses and units that overlooked the 16th and 18th holes looked pretty bad.  The other reason you couldnt see houses is that they havent sold/built all the houses yet.  However I am not an expert on residential golf estates.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 10:46:44 AM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back