News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Successful Tree Removal Program Examples
« on: January 26, 2006, 04:27:42 PM »
I'm trying to create background for my role on a green commitee and would like to compile a list of well known courses with successful tree removal programs in order to support the notion that removing trees results in a more enjoyable and beautiful playing experience and better turf conditions.  Examples I can think of include:

Oakmont
NGLA
Shinnecock
Olympic
Minnikahda
Pine Valley(?)

What are other examples?  Is there a single example of a tree removal program that has not been well received?

Kyle Harris

Re:Successful Tree Removal Program Examples
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 04:28:41 PM »
Get ahold of Mayday and Wayne Morrison about what Rolling Green is doing right now.

There's a thread of pictures from a week or so ago (Martin Luther King Day).

Jonathan Davison

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 04:33:20 PM »
One from the Uk Walton Heath.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 04:48:29 PM »
Aronimink GC had a very successful tree removal and management program a couple years ago.  It truly has helped the greens, tees, and overall turf condition.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 05:02:47 PM »
Jason, Rone Forse and associate Jim Nagle had a very successful program with ~1000 trees removed at Lawsonia Links course.  There were some early concerns about a few specimen ornamentals being taken out, including my own reservation about two red maples behind the 6th green that had an historical sort of referencing point for when the flag was on the front upper or rear lower tier.  But, when all is said and done, the tree removal at Lawsonia really allowed the Langford masterpiece to shine.

Superintendent is Mike Berwick, but I don't have his #.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

wsmorrison

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 05:05:23 PM »
Speaking of Ron Forse and Jim Nagle, check out the before and after photos at Philadelphia Country Club.  Some photos were posted on GCA a year or so ago.  The 11th was a terrific example as you will see.  There are many more.  The restoration job at PCC is top tier.  Kudos also to Mike McNulty and staff for the wonderful job!  Your initial list is most impressive.

SL_Solow

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 05:22:46 PM »
Even Medinah has undrtaken a significant tree reduction program.  It is still tree lined and tight but large numbers were culled to allow air circulation and light as an aid to turf growth.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 05:56:40 PM »
Forse & Nagle also at LuLu and Manufacturer's
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 05:57:41 PM »
Jason,
  Define your terms of sucessful....in turms of turf conditions, returning the golf course to it's original splender, opening corridors.....That's what I'd say is sucessful, but I know that there are many members at Oakmont who were not thrilled about the tree removal program...a little late now! ;D

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC

Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 10:02:16 PM »
Can't overlook Bruce Hepner's work and counsul at Blue Mound CC either.  I don't know if George Bahto collaborated when putting together club history to demonstrate the old photos and look of the course before the agressive tree planting program of 50s.  But, very critical trees had to come out that encroached classic features such as the back kick plate edge of the exceptional redan hole found there.  I suspect that it was work selling the general membership of the merit and importance of de-treeing the place.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 10:17:28 PM »
Jason,

Check out Dunlop White III's two feature interviews on this site, where he states the case for tree management plans. I am sure if you contacted him, he could provide you with numerous examples of successful programs.

TK

Evan_Green

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 11:09:15 PM »
Just around the Bay Areas (other than Olympic)

SFGC

Cal Club

Harding Park

To some extent: Meadow Club

Ian Andrew

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 11:16:22 PM »
I'm pretty proud of what Greg Armstrong and I accomplished at the CC of Scranton. The entire place was tree lined and now were all the way back to the open vistas and views across the entire property. We're talking 1000's of trees to return how the course was planned.

the 11th before

the 11th after

looking up the 10th at the clubhouse - to what used to be completely tree lined holes

The old notes used to talk about seeing every hole from the clubhouse - now you can again
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 11:21:46 PM by Ian Andrew »

Jason Topp

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 02:26:07 PM »
Thanks everyone for the information.  I've pulled most of the material from this site that I am aware of on issues of the biggest concern to me:

1.  Tree Management
2.  Firm and Fast Conditions/Environmentally sensitive maintenence

There is a lot of good stuff on here.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back