News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Sweet

Re:If you let fairways go dormant, what do you save?
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2006, 10:25:35 AM »
"I'm trying to formulate the ideal business model for this region. What model would work best, and what maintenance approach will that require?"

The ideal business model should consider what your customers want. After all, isn't that the model that will work best?

Once you determine that, the maintenance approach will follow.

Firm and fast, kind of brown or yellowing, might be the ideal when you talk about "playability", but will people play on brown?  

So, I think if you are going down this road you have to be up front from the get go. State very clearly what you are doing and why its important. State the positives, which might be the "playability" of the course....the reduced need for nitrogen ferts. and excessive water....the savings that could be passed along to the membership/greens fee payers.

A couple of years ago the Super. at The Old Works told everyone that over the years the condition/playability of the course had gotten away from what Jack Nicklaus had intended. He had ment for the Old Works to play firm and fast. That would mean some yellowing when it got dry and hot. He told everyone not to freak out, but rather to give it a chance. And that is what he "let happen". I played it once in late September after an exceptionally wet month and the super appologized for the course being so soft. He said come back next August and play it when it is really rolling good.  He made it clear that firm and fast was his goal and that might mean brown and yellowing turf. You have to tell people this level of playability/conditioning is right and then let them find the positive when they play.

LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back