News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re:Doak's test: 1-18, 18 different modern architects
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2006, 01:53:38 PM »
Bill...the severe peril on the second shot is exacly why I like that hole.  Even with a wedge in your hands (fat chance for me...least I ever had in was 8...and I punched 7 to be safe...), getting it close is tough and the severe false front makes you putt like your hitting an easter egg instead of a ball...a real knee knocker...
Knee knocker, schmee knocker. :) A hole shouldn't make one of these lists based on the green alone.  :P
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim Franklin

« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2006, 04:37:19 PM »
Garland, you are correct and that is why this certainly does not belong as one of Strantz' best and not the best #1 hole out there. If you use one of Strantz' #1s then you gotta go with Tobacco Road. That is where this discussion should head, if you use Strantz for #1, which #1 would you use. And it would not be #1 at RNK (unless that is the only Strantz you have played ;)).
Mr Hurricane

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2006, 04:47:34 PM »
The most severe false front I've ever seen is at the Cassique course at the Kiawah Club, hole number 9.

It's so extreme it looks like a mawkish parody of a false front as the green sits about as high as the 10th at Fishers Island, only with the "tongue" being all green surface.  The course was designed by Tom Watson and Charley Arrington and the story goes that when Watson played the ceremonial opening round there he hit a 2-iron approach from about 150 yards just to show that it would indeed function as a false front.  

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2006, 04:49:39 PM »
Interesting choices, Mr. Chalfant.  

Of course, you need to call the course in Bedminster by its proper name, or are you afraid to raise the ire of some GCA purists?  ;D

mark chalfant

« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2006, 05:07:38 PM »
Mike Cirba,  I confess that I temporarily forgot the name of
a certain course. I was slightly afraid that a few folks may have me shipped to Leavenworth or even to Guantonomo. Ironically, there were a few more beauties from that routing like 6,8,and 14 that seem quite worthy. Which holes caught your eye?   ...... I promise not to report you to the authorities !

mark chalfant

« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2006, 10:35:00 AM »
Jim Franklin: enjoyed your list. Im hoping to learn more about Bob Cupp and  Rick Smith . Could you describe the par five at Arcadia bluffs and the par 3 at Hawks Ridge. also what are some other standouts at Hawks Ridge? thanks

Jim Franklin

« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2006, 11:25:43 AM »
Hawk's Ridge is very nice. It is similar to Augusta in that the conditioning is impeccable. They have cups cut into the par 3 tees so you can putt on the tee if you ever have to wait. The 16th is a 216 yard par 3 that accepts a little cut better than a draw. I played the course in windy cool conditions.  

As for #11, it is a par 5 that is cut into a valley. the green is perched back against Lake Michigan. It was my favorite hole on Arcadia Bluffs. It starts with an elevated tee shot into the valley. I thought it was a pretty cool hole.

I will have to find my notes to give you better descriptions if you woud like.
Mr Hurricane

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2006, 12:10:18 PM »
Mike Cirba,  I confess that I temporarily forgot the name of
a certain course. I was slightly afraid that a few folks may have me shipped to Leavenworth or even to Guantonomo. Ironically, there were a few more beauties from that routing like 6,8,and 14 that seem quite worthy. Which holes caught your eye?   ...... I promise not to report you to the authorities !

Mark,

Far be it for you and I to praise this course and risk GCA blasphemy.  After all, we haven't seen very many courses between us and both the name of the course architect as well as the owner are strictly verbotten here.  ;)

I also loved the 3rd, 5th, 6th, 8th, 10th, 14th, 15th, 16 (heresy), and 18.  

14 might be the best Tom Fazio hole I've ever seen.  

Now, before the two of us are "trumped" here by the others, let's drift back into the shadows.  ;)  :D

redanman

« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2006, 01:15:37 PM »
mc and MC - consider yourselves noted! I can't remember what the hell you're talking about either!

But.....I've criticized FH, the real no-no on here, so I guess I am too am not just noted but on double secret probation.

BTW, I really like #14, and like #16, #5 and 6, 8 and #12 as well. Poor us.  :'(

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back