News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Klein

New book on bunkers
« on: January 20, 2006, 06:10:43 PM »
Just arrived today via parcel post:

Bunkers, Pits & Other Hazards:
A Guide to the Design, Maintenance & Preservation of Golf's Essential Elements

John Wiley & Sons, 2006
by Forrest L. Richardson and Mark K. Fine
308 pages
$85

Volume looks fascinating. Best part, besides the analysis, are the analytical b&w schematics/cross sections of major holes and major hazards. Photography is a bit small and disappointing, but overall a wonderful looking text. A full review to follow, but obviously this is a major addition to the architecture literature.

Congratulations, guys.

Tom Huckaby

Re:New book on bunkers
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 06:13:24 PM »
Hi Brad:

Understandable as you aren't exactly a regular here, but this book has been mentioned many times already.  Of course it doesn't hurt repeating, as apparently Forrest and Mark deserve every bit of praise we can give them and of course could use the additional publicity, but I just wanted you to know this before anyone else gave you a hard time.

;D

What's up with the high price tag on that book though?  Man Forrest and Mark, I love you guys, really, but that is a lot of dough to shell out - it exceeds the "wife won't notice" level by too far of a margin for me to make the plunge.

BTW Brad, your name came up in another thread - the one about play one hole at NGLA - I started out questioning you (in playful good spirit - hope you see it that way), ended up praising you, re your take on Pasa.  Blame shivas.

;D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 06:15:06 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Brad Klein

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 06:21:01 PM »
What can I say? I'm slower opening up GCA threads than opening up my mail.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 06:24:11 PM »
No hassles Brad.

BTW, is the book HUGE or something?  Why the high price tag?

TH

Brad Klein

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 06:32:31 PM »
Book is not huge. Standard format size, and a majority of B&W image, which are too small. The full page color photos are helpful, though. Overall, a wonderful text. The price is due to a small market and very high production, promotion and distribution costs. The market for these things is miniscule. That's because people don't read any more, not even GCAers, it seems

By the way, Tom, you have me worried. You don't read GW. You don't read these books. And I dare say you don't read your own thread correctly. Your reference to me and Pasatiempo was on the "does anybody hate NGLA?" thread, not the "which hole at NGLA would you play?" one.

What is the world coming to?

Mark_Fine

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 06:37:49 PM »
Brad,
Thanks for the post.  We would have liked some of the photos to be larger as well but had some "limitations" to deal with which goes with publishing a book.  We look forward to your full review.  

Tom,
I felt the same way about the price tag when I heard what Wiley was going to charge, but we didn't have any say about it.  They set the number.  I really wanted it to be much lower but Ran's comment about the high price were very interesting.  He told me that when he saw the price, he was thrilled!  He said that if Wiley set the price that high, they must really like it and feel it is worth the $$'s.  We'll see what happens.  It's still cheaper than most rounds of golf these days  ;)

Mark  

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 06:43:07 PM »
It's a normal world when I am imprecise.

;D ;D

But notice I didn't say I didn't READ GW, I said I didn't subscribe and never will.  I am a big fan of your website.  Spending money on stuff I can get for free is not one of my strengths.

;D

As for the high cost of the book - hey don't shoot me, I am a very faithful golf book consumer.  I paid very good money for a little tome known as Rough Meditations and haven't done so yet for another book by that same hack  ;) about Ross, but that's only because as a Californian who has played so few Ross courses, the guy just doesn't interest me that much.  But I expect I'll shell out some dough for that book also some day.

It's just this: I understand the realities, believe me.  I know there's no way this book can be produced cheaply, nor should it.  But when you get up to $85 for a book, well... it's sad, but you tend to lose even a devoted fan like me.  That sucks.  But I guess that's the publishing world, no?

TH
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 06:46:18 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 06:45:47 PM »
Hi Mark:

Thanks for the post.  I remain very intrigued by your book, and for all my whining, hell I'm sure I will buy it sooner or later.  It's just that as in so many other matters, I guess I am the anti-Ran... when I saw the price tag I thought "holy shit my wife is gonna kill me" more than I though "gee it must be good."  I guess it's because I've also played way too many golf courses with high price tags that also suck.  Price doesn't equate to quality for me.

But maybe it does for books?

I have no doubt your book is worth the money.  I mainly just wanted to know why it has to cost so much.

TH

Brad Klein

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 07:05:12 PM »
Another aspect of the high cover prices is that because of amazon.com, Barnes & Noble and Borders, all listed hardcover prices are effectively reduced by 30% anyway in most major retail outlets, so the publisher gets less than you might think (and so do Forrest and Mark). But that's the economics today.

By the way, not all Wiley books are that expensive. For example, there's an expanded paperback edition of a minor classic coming out in March 2006 for only $16.95. More later.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 07:17:31 PM »
Tom,
Again, all I can do is appologize for the price.  As Brad said, if more people bought golf books, maybe the price would be lower.  There is a limited audience and the volume is low compared to the price to produce it.    

This book is geared toward Superintendents, Grounds Committees and those who are involved in some manner with the care and improvement of golf courses.  That audience is pretty small but most of those people will see justification in spending a few bucks (I hope) to buy the book.  It is unique and if Forrest and I charged by the hour, it would be a lot more than $80  ;)

By the way, if we waived our 50 cent royalty per book or whatever it is, it still wouldn't have much impact on lowering the price  :(

Brad,
Again, I agree with you on some of the smaller images.  We probably included too many.  I think there are over 250 images in the book.  But we figured guys like Tom who can't (I mean who doesn't like to read)  ;D  would still buy it so they can look at all the pictures.
Mark
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 07:18:40 PM by Mark_Fine »

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 01:13:46 PM »
I have always been bothered by the high cost of some of these architectural titles. But, as Brad points out, the market is small and the cost to produce the books is high...at least on a per-book basis.

Since Mark and I will be offering the books at some of our seminars, please let us know if you are in need of a copy. We will make arrangements to get you one at the seminar price. Best to call or e-mail either of us about specifics.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 09:17:10 AM »
Got mine in the mail yesterday.  A quick skim through looked promising.  Many familiar names in the acknowledgements section, for sure.  A bit of a shock when I noticed a familiar figurine-in-a-bunker pic on page 15 and then the color version on the 2nd page of the Color Plates section.  Good thing the figurine is small, an otherwise great pic would be ruined by his ugly mug.   :P

Mark_Fine

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006, 11:19:56 AM »
Scott,
Glad you got the book.  Hope you enjoy it.  I'll be anxious to hear your thoughts.  That is one amazing bunker.
Mark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back