News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Hurricane golf on the Gulf Coast
« on: December 26, 2005, 04:24:53 PM »
Several of you have asked at one time or another over the last few months how the area courses came though the storms. The SE Louisiana and Mississippi Gulf courses are covered in www.teetogreenmagazine.com.  It is still a real tough world for those folks. Please do not think the Feds are really doing much if anything except blowing money through a few select companies, most of which you will recognize from Iraq stories. All have my prayers and help.

Bill_McBride

Re:Hurricane golf on the Gulf Coast
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 07:37:42 PM »
Actually, it's been even worse for golf courses than for businesses in general, as they have been specifically exempted from access to FEMA renovation $$$.   :-\

Adam_Messix

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 08:26:03 PM »
I've had the chance to visit New Orleans about three weeks ago and it is difficult to describe the size and scale of the destruction that occurred due to the flooding.  There was an area we drove through of St. Bernard parish that WAS an area of strip malls and burger joints that you see in any major American city.  Now, it's a ghost town...the buildings and large parking lots are empty and only a minimal amount of traffic and the stop lights have no power.  

As far as the golf courses go, New Orleans Country Club reopened during my visit and was in surprisingly good condition.  Most of the little hollows in the fairway where water stayed the longest are black and grassless, but most of the course had bermuda and the all but four of the greens were good, but understandably slow.  There wasn't that much tree damage either, although the signature tree by the clubhouse lost a large limb.  I did not get to stop by Metairie but was staying with a member who had played there and he said the course suffered more damage, but was open due to a major overseeding of the course.  

According to a local golf publication, it may have been Tee to Green but I don't remember, many courses in the area have reopened.  We visited English Turn and it was in great condition.  Eastover, a Joe Lee 36 hole facility, is still closed and looked like it was hurt really bad.  

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 10:53:33 PM »
Adam, I heard Metairie did get hit a little worse than NOCC. All in all, please remember except for St Bernard and Plaquimines, the Mississippi coast got the real hurricane damage. New Orleans ills came primarily from the floods which as one knows is Corp of Engineers, Dept of Defense issue.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 10:54:06 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Adam_Messix

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 04:55:40 PM »
Tiger_B--

I totally understand where you are coming from, I just didn't see any of the Mississippi Gulf Coast to comment.  From those I have talked to who have seen it say that there are areas that are totally destroyed.  It's a sad story and I hope the people down there can get their lives together as soon as possible.  

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 06:02:06 PM »
Adam, soon may be 5 plus years away. Nothing is happening in a hurry. There are huge areas without infrastructure of any kind. There is no rebuild plan or even a plan for a rebuild plan. lol It is hard to believe this could happen in America. Of course, it has been 1.5 years since our developement in Navarre Beach, Florida was open to anyone other than owners. It will be this summer before the outside public can come in. It is all our money that is paying for  cleanup and rebuild for you can be sure there has been no fed assistance nor have any insurance companies settled up. We are a small beach community out of the publics eye. You can bet the Miss Gulf Coast and New Orleans are in for a long slow crawl back to anything resembling a normal life. I just hope the throw the bastards out movement makes it all the way to Washington. lol

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 07:29:50 PM »
"Bastards?"  What bastards?

::) ??? :P
« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 07:30:13 PM by Bill_McBride »

Robert_Ball

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 10:59:07 PM »
Adam, I heard Metairie did get hit a little worse than NOCC.
That's disappointing, Tiger. I've played MCC once and it was very enjoyable and the staff was one of the friendliest I've ever come across. Please share any details you might get.

I'm sure NO's golf will eventually rebound from this.  I only hope Woods & Mickelson do the right thing and play the Zurich in April...Does anyone know if they've committed?

-Robert

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 11:41:28 PM »
Bill the "bastards" would be the elected officials.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back