News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Re:Golf Books for Christmas
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2005, 05:41:57 PM »
Gents, I tinkered with is some more, adjusting the suburb and took out dashes in the phone number.  It seems to have gone through.  Thanks for the help.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2005, 05:56:32 PM »
Rdecker,
Do you already have the Daley books?   ;D

If you've been good, you could always ask for this one... T&L Golf listed the price at $5,400

http://www.booksinspired.com/home.html

P.S.
I also highly recommend Rhic's excellent work on Dornoch and the British Golf Links book.  
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 05:58:34 PM by Mike_Nuzzo »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Gerry B

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2005, 11:43:54 PM »
i would add:

daniel wexler's missing links and lost links are great books

Golf magaxines -the  500 greatest holes is a nice coffee table book -and a great resource for debate

if you call the following clubs -  merion, pine valley and fishers island - i would recommend their books

ForkaB

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2005, 04:24:24 AM »
I am also looking forward to Rich G's book, someday. I just need to figure out how to get it.

Hi George

"Experience Royal Dornoch" is available for delivery to the States from the publisher (www.optimizegolf.com), the RDGC Pro (www.royaldornochproshop.com) or me (r.goodale@btopenworld.com).  A US-printed and distributed version is unlikely until late next year.

While I'm self-promoting, don't forget that "Experience The Old Course: St. Andrews Links" will be coming out soon (it's in final proofing/editing)!  It will be available from me, OptimizeGolf and the St Andrews Links Trust.

Mark, Sean and Mike

Thanks for the kudos.

Rich

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2005, 06:08:31 AM »
I would heartily recommend Rich's "Experience Royal Dornoch" and Iain M. Lowe's "Scottish Golf Links ". As Sean stated he latter is a bit short on text but that's because Lowe is a photographer not a writer - the bits by Kyle Phillips give a good GCA insight into specific holes at the top courses. I got an autographed copy from the pro shop at Royal Aberdeen in September at no extra cost. They may be able to help if you contsact them directly.

I also have The Scottish Golf Book by Malcolm Campbell. More text, more courses covered as it does not concrentrate solely on links courses. Photography better in the Lowe book.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

RDecker

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2005, 08:02:06 AM »
Mike N.
I was leafing thru T&L at the gym this morning and saw that article about the $5,400 book and figured it was a typo.  For that amount it should come with an old Scotsman who pours you a glass of single malt and reads you passages from it.

fred ruttenberg

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2005, 05:21:35 PM »
William Flynn bu Tom Paul and Wayne Morrison. I understand it won't be published unti 2015 but Tom and Wayne are taking advance orders. Be first on the list.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2005, 04:16:36 PM »
By all means try the Rich Goodale book on Dornoch. Extremely well written and the photos / angles taken really add much to the qualities of the course.

Couple of others to recommend -- the Al Barkow book on Sam Snead. Very well done approach of the West Virginian that is both fair and honest.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2005, 12:53:40 PM »
This might illuminate some discussions on here. Just out in UK, January in US.  Might be worth an interview?

Willie Park Junior: The Man Who Took Golf to the World
Walter Stephen
Book Description
The story of a two-time winner of the Open, designer of 160 Golf Courses and author of the first book on golf written by a golf professional.
In the 19th century Musselburgh was a hotbed of golfing genius and the local links produced five Open Champions. One of these was Willie Park Junior. More than a good golfer, he redefined the image of the golf professional and took the game from being an esoteric pastime to its present status as a world game.

As well as winning the Open in 1887 and 1889, Willie played challenge and demonstration matches at home, in Europe and in North America. His workshops turned out golf balls and clubs to his own design and he had retail outlets in Edinburgh, Manchester, London, New York and Montreal. He designed and laid out over 100 golf courses in the British Isles and Western Europe. When he published The Game of Golf in 1896 it was the first book on the game written by a professional.
World War I killed off Willie’s activities at home, so he moved across the Atlantic. Concentrating on course design he engineered over 40 courses in the US and 20 in Canada.
Willie Park was the epitome of Scottish Victorian enterprise. Though not alone, he was the most active of missionaries, taking the skills and equipment of a local game to what were then the two major continents.

From the Inside Flap
In the 19th century, Musselburgh, Scotland was a hotbed of golfing genius. The local links produced five Open Champions, and of these golfing greats, Willie Park Junior was undoubtedly more than just a good golfer. Park redefined the image of the golf professional and took the game from being an esoteric pastime, practised in a few favoured localities, to its present status as a worldwide game.

A two-time winner of the Open, Park also played challenge and demonstration matches at home and abroad. Ever the entrepreneur, his workshops turned out golf balls and clubs to his own design, with retail outlets in Edinburgh, Manchester, London, New York and Montreal, and Park was the first golf professional to write a manual – The Game of Golf – which appeared in 1896. His career in golf course design took him from Britain to Western Europe and then North America; in total Park lay out over 160 courses worldwide, over 40 of these in the United States and more than 20 in Canada, many of which are still in use today.
After a century of improved golf technology – better clubs, a larger ball, and more tailored course layouts – what legacy has Willie Park Junior left to the modern golfer? Walter Stephen tours us round some of Park’s best-loved courses to see how they have stood the tests of time and tee-off.
About the Author
Walter Stephen worked by night as a baker in Musselburgh and during the day would often play over the Musselburgh Old Course. Now, as a GMA (Golfer of Modest Attainment) he tries to get round as many of Willie Park’s courses as he can, telling all who will listen what a marvellous legacy we share today. Walter previously edited Think Global, Act Local: The Life and Legacy of Patrick Geddes (2004) with Luath Press.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 06:07:09 PM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

ForkaB

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2005, 01:06:36 PM »
This sounds very interesting, Tony.  Where can you get the book?

Cheers and thanks in advance

Rich

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2005, 02:44:35 PM »
Blurb off amazon.co.uk went to U.S. one first by mistake and they have to wait!
Let's make GCA grate again!

wsmorrison

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2005, 05:58:19 PM »
"William Flynn bu Tom Paul and Wayne Morrison. I understand it won't be published unti 2015 but Tom and Wayne are taking advance orders. Be first on the list."

Fred,

It is 99% complete.  Waiting for a rewrite of my work on Pocantico Hills by the man that knows it better than anyone and a very short section on CC Harrisburg.  Should be completed by Christmas.  Give the editor some time to take an axe to it and layout photos and drawings and let's hope its on shelves by next Christmas.

The Willie Park, Jr. book looks very interesting.  Let's see if they mention Philmont North as a WP, Jr and not the South.  We are convinced at this point that Flynn had nothing to do with the original design of the North.  Some subsequent redesign as yet unknown is likely but that's it.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 06:00:22 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Brock Peyer

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2005, 07:05:30 PM »
I like both of Stan Byrdy's books.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2005, 07:59:01 PM »
I didn't even see this thread.  Some good books mentioned to think about.  My thanks to Peter for mentioning ours on hazards.  It is out and I'm excited about it and I know Forrest is as well.  We just heard that the NGCOA will be handing out an excerpt from our chapter on restorations -- role of the architect, what to expect, etc at the 2006 Golf Industry Show in Atlanta this coming February.  Last year's show was great and I expect this years will be as well.  The "building of the green" was quite impressive.  
Mark  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back