News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Golf course as environmental success article!
« on: November 06, 2005, 10:28:13 AM »
This is a interesting article about the Three Crowns course in Casper, WY and how the course is being used to remediate a badly polluted oil refinery site.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1310AP_Refinery_Makeover.html

Evan Fleisher

Re:Golf course as environmental success article!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 09:05:21 AM »
Interesting read David...thanks for the link!

Just sent a copy to my wife, an environmental sociologist...I'm interested to see what she has to say after reading it.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 09:23:31 AM »
Yes, interesting.  I wish they would have mentioned in the article which golf course archie was involved.  There are a few gca firms that specialize in reclaiming sites like landfills, etc.

Still, it is a pity that it will only take 300 years to get the groundwater back to potable.  The article says the property is not suitable for habitats like housing, hotels, nursing homes, ect.  But, it seems to be OK for recreation including the golf course and a whitewater park and business park.  That still makes me wonder... how safe?  

It is scary to imagine all the sites like this one (worse in third world areas) built many years ago in an age where corporations had no conscience to restrain themselves from doing whatever it took to produce and didn't bother about what long term damage they were doing to environments and people.  

Well at least Casper is making an apparent good start...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 09:30:15 AM »
Attention Matt Ward for your next western trip:Looks like a pretty good golf course.

www.threecrownsgolfclub.com

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 09:42:15 AM »
Thanks for the link Steve.  Robert Trent Jones Jr., it is...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Steve Lang

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 01:19:22 PM »
 8)

There's a pool of oil beneath almost every old refinery in the USA.. good food for microbes if you add a little NPK in correct proportion.. 8)
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back