News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Is a penal set up good for matchplay ?
« on: September 29, 2018, 05:42:05 AM »
I recall once asking the question what makes a good matchplay course and I don't think anyone really came up with a convincing answer. The question came back to me last night as I watched the RC highlights and it occurred to me the set up here of narrow fairways and thick rough might not be the best for matchplay, or at least exciting matchplay.

I can't recall a previous RC where one side/player has effectively lost the hole with it barely half played. There didn't seem to be much cut and thrust as one side made a brilliant recovery.

Thoughts ?

Niall

Steve Kline

Re: Is a penal set up good for matchplay ?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 06:22:30 AM »
I agree with you Niall. Briliant recoveries are essential to exciting matchplay. It's that back and forth in emotional swings during match play that make it riveting. Hacking out of thick rough does not qualify for that.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 08:31:49 AM »

Niall,

I think tough courses can make excellent matchplay courses but they need to offer 'playable' disaster. A good example from yesterday was Rory's recovery on 13? from the steep sideslope to the green. Very tough but playable where as water means instant unplayable and drop (yawn, yawn). I think that is why the TOC makes such a great matchplay course as it is very easily playable yet has the potential for some incredibly tough pin positions.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 08:41:55 AM »
I'm not convinced any particular type of course suits matchplay more or less. A huge aspect to matchplay, perhaps especially during matchplay, is contained in the area between the players ears.
atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back