News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

I must have lost my mind!
« on: October 03, 2005, 10:33:42 PM »
I was in Minnesota this past weekend for my daughter's wedding.  While there I played golf with my son.  We played Lehman and Fought's windsong Farm.  It is new, flashy and 7400 yards long.  We played it at 6600 yards and was plenty of course for us.  By the tenth hole I couldn't wait for the round to be over.  The fairways were a mile wide and the greens could hold a football game. It wasn't that the course was bad, it was just boring.  

We also played my son's club, Southview CC.  It is certainly not a world beater, nor will it ever be confused as one of the best courses in the Twin Cities.  But is was fun.  The terrain was hilly, with many sidehill downhill lies, and the shots off the tee and the shots to the smallish sloping greens were interesting.

It seems the more golf courses I play the more confused I become about what is a good or bad course.  I may be losing touch with reality.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Brad Klein

Re:I must have lost my mind!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 10:37:18 PM »
I haven't seen Southview but otherwise I don't think you're far off or wrong at all. WF is big, very big.

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 01:22:52 AM »
I still am mixed in my thoughts on WF.  On one hand, I agree that it seems to be one long par four after another with very wide fairways that seem to provide little interest.  I found them more interesting the second time around because, despite their width, there is often an advantage to tempting the rough or bunkers in one direction or the other.

On the other hand, I think the green surrounds are quite interesting, the par threes are very good and the par fives generally are interesting.  It will be interesting to see how it is received 10 years from now.

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 12:56:35 PM »
I have only played it twice, so I am not ready to say it uses width without strategy.  It is entirely possible that there is strategy and I just have failed to recognize it.  I do know that my strategy was just to put it in play as far as I could hit it on most holes.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 01:32:08 PM »
We also played my son's club, Southview CC.  It is certainly not a world beater, nor will it ever be confused as one of the best courses in the Twin Cities.  But is was fun.  The terrain was hilly, with many sidehill downhill lies, and the shots off the tee and the shots to the smallish sloping greens were interesting.

It seems the more golf courses I play the more confused I become about what is a good or bad course.  I may be losing touch with reality.

I'd say your not nuts, you just can't believe that your own preferences are what defines better golf. Versus, all the marketing hype and opinons of others who cherrish a different style. Ya know, the high and straight down the middle shot after shot which yields a predictable consistent lie for your approach. YAWN

Undulating and unpredictable, thats what makes for great golf, so don't knock your son's course. It could certainly be the best in the Twin Cities, if you think it is, and, if it has those core principles you've described above.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back