News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A_Clay_Man

Huge winner to Big Loser at Poor Man's Pebble
« on: September 08, 2005, 09:24:23 AM »
While those in the media are indifferent to a travisty, the wheels at my old home course, Pacific Grove, are still turning away from decency, and the spirit of the game.

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/montereyherald/news/local/12589871.htm

This line is most telling.
The new plan also limits play on Saturday for certain card holders

These certain cardholders, (non-resident 8 O'clockers) have been the target of management for many years. It seems to be human nature (at least in California) whenever there's a good thing, someone, somewhere will try to ruin it.
That someone is Mike Leach. The lone impetus behiind the boondoggle that is the new 10 million $ clubhouse. And thats not figuring the cost of removing the old clubhouse, that's riddled with asbestos.

PG, when I was there, was in a saving mode. They were able to save somewhere between 760k and a Mil a year. Now with the burdens of this unwanted, unneeded new clubhouse, this author predicts The Pacific Grove Municipal Golf Links will not be profitable again,  for a very very long time.

P.s.
If anyone ever hears that it was the golfers who wanted the change, know, you are being lied to.

rjsimper

Re:Huge winner to Big Loser at Poor Man's Pebble
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 08:09:01 PM »
Unneeded new clubhouse - that's for sure...seems like they would have done just fine to keep as-is.

Though I can't believe how cheaply the residents play!  I mean, at 38 bucks I felt fine paying value-wise...let alone 6 bucks a round or what have you...

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 09:12:20 PM »
Adam-

I'm no expert in clubhouse construction, but $10,000,000
sounds like a heck of a lot for a club with the word "municipal" in its name.

I just spent the last 15 minutes on their website. Wish they had more pictures of the course, and less of the clubhouse
construction project. I hope the club can remain economically viable, although, if they were  saving $760k-$1m annually (2003 revenue listed as $1.5 m+-)  as you mentioned,  I would think they could remain viable.

Hope it all works out!

Ps-the pictures on your course review are impressive.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 10:00:13 PM by Craig_Rokke »

rjsimper

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 12:21:47 AM »
Adam - your picture of 12 on your review, the headline picture, what time of day was it taken?

I wonder if people who take golf course pictures as a habit know what are the best tee times in order to hit the picturesque holes at the right time for light conditions (Magic Hour, aside)

Mike Benham

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 12:30:53 AM »
More Pacific Grove Photos ... a foggy day

Here is the clubhouse under construction back in August ... and this structure doesn't contain the Pro Shop.  It is a separate structure to the left of this photo (right of the first tee for those in the know ...

« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 12:31:07 AM by Mike Benham »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 03:44:18 PM »
Adam,
I read an article that said construction costs for the
new clubhouse, pro shop, etc. were going to be 3 mil. Where's the other 7 mil being spent?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 03:45:14 PM by jim_kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mike Benham

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 04:02:31 PM »
During my visit, the other interesting visual was the local carpenters union was picketing the job site as the contractor was a non-union shop.

James Bennett

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 07:55:33 PM »
Mike Benham

I visited your web-site for the pictures of Pacific Grove on a foggy day (I have seen the course a few times but not played it).  It brought back fond memories of the area.

I also diverted across from that site to the pictures of the Olympic Club Lake Course, and saw some wonderful pictures there.  Thank-you.  I was particularly interested in the views from the 2nd tee.  I assume the area had been filled with pines before, but now views through to San Francisco and the Bay are apparent, panoramic  and breathtaking.  Was the area filled with pines before?  If so, are there any pictures of the area before the removal?  I believe it could be one of the best 'before and after' photos of the vista benefits from thinning (?removing) some trees.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 10:28:03 PM »
James:

Those trees aren't just being thinned, they're dying.  So are the ones on the other side of the valley at SFGC, or you wouldn't have been able to see in.

James Bennett

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 11:12:35 PM »
James:

Those trees aren't just being thinned, they're dying.  So are the ones on the other side of the valley at SFGC, or you wouldn't have been able to see in.

From disease, saline water tables, senesence (old age) or something else?  Any plans for replanting (my little joke, I hope)? ;)
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 11:48:56 PM »
James:

Sort of a different situation...Olympic removed all the euchalyptus and thinned out the remaining cypress and pines.  Driven by desire for better turf conditions, wider angles of play, more wind, and safety (fear of falling trees/limbs).  Wholesale clearing on holes 1-8 and parts of the back nine. Not the same problem as the pines at SF which are dead or dying.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Mike Benham

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 12:29:11 AM »
James:

Sort of a different situation...Olympic removed all the euchalyptus and thinned out the remaining cypress and pines.  Driven by desire for better turf conditions, wider angles of play, more wind, and safety (fear of falling trees/limbs).  Wholesale clearing on holes 1-8 and parts of the back nine. Not the same problem as the pines at SF which are dead or dying.

I believe that the plan for tree removal at the O Club was prepared a few years back (6-8 years) and has just recently been implemented.  The premise for the removal and cleaning of the trees was that they were all of approximately the same age and were then expected to all die within the same short time frame.

For the area behind the 2nd tee, when I first saw it cleared out I was amazed that there was so much land.  I remember it as shrubs and brush with Eucs, but I could be wrong.  The way it is now, it would be perfect for Corporate tents for the AmEx at Harding ;).

James Bennett

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 01:41:23 AM »
Thanks Mike Benham and Kevin Reilly

My club has tree problems with non-indigenous gums (eucalypts) but particularly with overplanted cypresses and plantation-style plantings of pinus radiata.  And with falling limbs (generally from exotic gums).  We get shade problems from the exotic gums and the evergreens (pines/cypresses) although most of the severe issues near greens have been rectified.

I love that photo from the 2nd tee.  Thats the one that caught my eye.  Thanks again

James Bennett

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2005, 01:44:00 AM »
James:

I believe that the plan for tree removal at the O Club was prepared a few years back (6-8 years) and has just recently been implemented.  The premise for the removal and cleaning of the trees was that they were all of approximately the same age and were then expected to all die within the same short time frame.

For the area behind the 2nd tee, when I first saw it cleared out I was amazed that there was so much land.  I remember it as shrubs and brush with Eucs, but I could be wrong.  The way it is now, it would be perfect for Corporate tents for the AmEx at Harding ;).

I wonder what the view would be like with much of the eucalypts to the right of the next fairway were 'thinned'. Or replanted with a species about half the height and with less dense foliage? Spectacular views of the Bay I expect?  Would the members be in favour?

James B
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 01:45:16 AM by James Bennett »

Mike Benham

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 02:16:12 AM »
I wonder what the view would be like with much of the eucalypts to the right of the next fairway were 'thinned'. Or replanted with a species about half the height and with less dense foliage? Spectacular views of the Bay I expect?  Would the members be in favour?

James B

James -

Unfortunately, the spectacular view would be the backside of the Lakewood Apartments, the body of water partially visable is Lake Merced, and Harding Park Golf Course

Click on this Google Map, click on satellite view and you will see the O Club in the bottom center, San Francisco Golf Club in the lower right corner and Harding Park undergoing its remodel a few years ago.

O Club Lake, Harding Park and SFGC Satellite view

James Bennett

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2005, 03:37:21 AM »

James -

Unfortunately, the spectacular view would be the backside of the Lakewood Apartments, the body of water partially visable is Lake Merced, and Harding Park Golf Course

Mike

I didn't/couldn't get to Google, but I saw the view you were referring to from the preceding photo at your website (the one from the first hole rough looking across the second fairway).  The area hidden behind the gums in your photo doesn't seem to be as visually striking as the area exposed.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2005, 07:56:40 PM »
Sorry guys, Been away to the Sand Hills region. Thanks for keeping this afloat, IMO, it's a major story that needs to be told, truthfully.
 Here's some more,

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/montereyherald/news/local/12641443.htm

BTW, be careful how you read the above article, one the persons quoted, is IMO, known for deception and has a major agenda.

Jim- I believe the picture you asked about wa taken by Neil Reagan(sp?) Not sure of the t.o.d.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 07:59:52 PM by Adam Clayman »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back