News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam_F_Collins

Frozen Sod
« on: September 13, 2005, 06:30:20 PM »
Our club recently did some regrassing of tees using turf that came in shipped frozen - is this common?

Craig Sweet

Re:Frozen Sod
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 06:41:51 PM »
That is bizzare! Are the local sod farms out of sod?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Sean Leary

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 08:17:20 PM »
It's Canada, so it probably was sent fresh and arrived frozen.  What else did you expect  ;D

paul cowley

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 08:29:03 PM »
...no, like fish, it was probably 'fresh' frozen.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

paul cowley

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 08:30:48 PM »
Adam...I didn't know there were sod farms in Labrador...eh?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 08:32:17 PM by paul cowley »

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 09:13:55 PM »
Ahh, it's exactly this type of stereotyping that keeps us free of a stampede of Americans seeking salvation up here.

Sorry I asked.

Oh and yeah, it's FREEZING up here - Brrrrrrr. Oh and there's no TV, and everyone lives in igloos... yeah that's the ticket, Igloos. And when we play golf, we have to watch out for the ... the.... the SEALS, yeah yeah... that's it and um... we have to play orange balls so we can find them in the snow...

Got to put another bit of whale blubber in the oil lamp...

Sean McCue

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 09:51:22 PM »
Adam,

It is pretty common these days to have sod grown from non local growers due to type of grass varietys the customer is looking for.  In particular Ready Play Bentgrass is only grown by a couple of growers and it is shipped from great distances some times. The sod has to be refigerated to keep is viable and fresh for the installation. Ready Play Bentgrass is sod that is grown on plastic with a 1/2" of sand that acts as the growing medium.    
Be sure to visit my blog at www.cccpgcm.blogspot.com and follow me on twitter @skmqu

paul cowley

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 09:51:34 PM »
OK Adam....the only realistic way sod would come frozen was that after it was cut and for some  climatic reason it became frozen and then shipped....there is no reason that I know of that a grower would freeze sod for shipment...anywhere , anytime.....it doesn't seperate or lay well so I am assuming your sod did not come from below the Mason Dixon line [Marylandish for you] ;)

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 10:07:20 PM »
Okay, so maybe the guy that told me this was full of Bull Musk Oxen crap...

Could well be.

James Bennett

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 10:29:27 PM »
Adam

my course acquired Windsor green couch sod (a new hybrid bermuda) for use as fairway sprigging material on 5 new holes in 1993 from Perth (Western Australia, not Scotland ;D), which is over 2000 miles away from Adelaide across the Nullabour (desert).  Transport was in the middle of summer, so maximum temperatures were 110+ farenheit (obvioulsy not perth, Scotland) for the semi-trailer transport.  I believe refrigerated transport was used for obvious reasons, but I don't know how cold the thermostat setting was.  The turf survived the transport.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back