News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Darren_Kilfara

Some buddies of mine and I are planning a trip to Scottsdale next spring - I haven't been able to convince them to see Apache Stronghold (conditioning and driving distance weigh heavily in their minds), but I have won what I think is an important victory in centering our trip around Talking Stick in lieu of something more expensive and less, well, good. Anyway, everyone will be heading home on Sunday afternoon, and we're looking for a getaway round on Sunday morning which isn't too expensive and is convenient both for Scottsdale and the airport, and I'm thinking the TPC Desert Course might fit the bill, although I know virtually nothing about it. Any thoughts about what we might find there? I'm not after an amazing architectural experience, but if the course is decent, well maintained and good value for money, that's all we're really looking for. Thanks...

Cheers,
Darren

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:Opinions on TPC Scottsdale-Desert (i.e. not the Stadium Course)?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 08:54:06 PM »
Darren

The TPC Desert is one of the few courses that I haven't played in PHX. I do know that it is one of the few courses in Scottsdale where walking is possible. Another reasonable fee course to consider a little bit nearer to the airport is ASU's Karsten Course. This is not an architectural masterpiece by Pete Dye but was created from nothing land(similar to Rawls at Texas Tech by Doak) so it's a good course to see from that point of view. Longbow in Mesa by Ken Kavanaugh is also close to the airport and has recieved decent reviews since its reopening.

Steve
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Andy Troeger

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 09:55:48 PM »
Darren,
   I think that the Desert course might fit what you are looking for for the last round. I played it a few years ago when out in Mesa/Scottsdale, and remember it is a fun little course (the longest tee markers are supposed to be about 6400, but the day we played they weren't out, so it was maybe 5800). It is well maintained and I think you can walk it for a pretty reasonable rate by AZ standards. It's nothing overly special by any means, but it is fairly well maintained and lets you try to score well. The length is probably the biggest drawback if you like more than a drive/wedge type of course however I seem to remember there was some interesting holes, its not just blast away then pitch and putt. You could probably find a better course, but it is a pretty good deal (or was a few years ago at least!).

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 09:58:44 PM »
TPC Desert would be a good "getaway" round of golf.  It's fun, if not an architectural "tour de force".  Another thought would be Papago - Phoenix muni (Billy Bell I believe), very solid and close to the airport.  Of the two, I'd play Papago.  Personally, I'd skip ASU Karsten.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 10:56:08 PM »
Papago would be a good choice if you can get a tee time and if the conditions have improved from a few years ago.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 09:26:20 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. We all played the ASU Karsten course 10 years ago, and I'd probably get lynched if I suggested we go back! (Very difficult, very visually unappealing course.) Any course with possible conditioning issues would raise a red flag for our group, so Papago is probably a non-starter as well...sounds like TPC Desert is still the leading contender.

Cheers,
Darren

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 09:34:04 AM »
wasn't the ASU course a Doak 0? :o
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 09:40:51 AM »
Darren

Another course to consider would be Vistal in South PHX. The website is modest( www.vistalgolfclub.com ) but you can read Ron Whitten's review in his review library at golfdigest.com
It's very reasonable and near the airport.
As I mentioned before, Longbow in Mesa might be worth a shot- www.longbowgolf.com

Steve
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 09:42:16 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 09:52:50 AM »
wasn't the ASU course a Doak 0? :o

It certainly was, Paul - and that was our sense as well. Probably a perfect course for a good college golf team to practice on, but very little merit for casual play.

Cheers,
Darren

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 10:49:26 AM »

The Desert Course is quite fun and reasonable golf, just keep expectations low and you won't be disappointed.

I'll put a second in for Longbow, a Ken Kavanuagh course in Mesa.  The course is very good and reasonably priced for the area (around 55.00).

If you've played ASU Karsten once, you've played it enough. :)

David Druzisky

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 11:26:22 AM »
TPC Desert would best fit your bill per your requirements.  Can be busy then.  Not much that time of year of value in that area from the airport through Scottsdale.  As an architect living in the area I struggle to find anything inspiring to play that time of year beyond the select few.  The city of Phx has a gem with Papago, but unfortunately it is tired from all the heavy use though the years and lack of re-investment.  Looking forward to the new C&C course at WeKoPa??  It will be big$$ as well.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 04:47:54 PM »
The Desert Course is always a great course to bring the average green fee rate (AGFR) in check when visiting Scottsdale. The course is very walkable and generally maintained in good condition. The course was built as part of the deal between the City of Scottsdale and the PGA Tour when the Tour developed the TPC Course. The City negotiated an affordable course for residents to play in exchange for the land.

Tom Renli

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 06:46:55 PM »
I would agree with the majority of the comments posted.  The Desert Course is: a good value, good location, you can walk, generally good condition, short par 70, streches to 6,400 yards, nothing special from a design perspective.  Their rounds have been down the last couple years, therefore they are overseeding the fairways this winter for the first time since at least 1992.  I play there in the winter, please email me if you have more specific questions or need other logistics.

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 07:25:12 PM »
If conditions were comparable, Papago is a much better golf course.  It's setting is terrific, terrain is interesting, and for your purposes it is closer to the airport.  It can get busy and play can get slow.  It is a diamond in the rough - but even "rough" it is a pleasure to play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back