News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Re:GCA Outing at Greywalls?
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2005, 11:35:40 AM »
Mike - There is still a very SLIGHT chance we can make this event, however, you should move my foursome to the "Improbable" list... the dates are conflicting with another event. If the conflict resoves itself we'll try to jump back in.

Thanks for the opportunity!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

PThomas

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2005, 12:34:02 PM »
I was told the "Logging Congress" is in town that weekend , and that it's a big thing, so hopefully the rest of you were quicker than me and got your rooms already...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

PThomas

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2005, 12:50:24 PM »
Shiv-- on page 1 of this thread Brian S says there's lots for the wife to do...but the lodging situation seems really bad....

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2005, 12:52:03 PM »
I won't be able to make it that weekend either.  We have a large corporate item that is going to happen that week so I won't be able to go out of town.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2005, 12:52:07 PM »
I'll see what I can find out about alternate lodging options.  There is plenty for the family to do: shopping, hiking, parks, a regional children's museum, and all the other attractions of a cozy northern town.  There are also a few other interesting towns within a short drive with their own respective attractions.

Feel free to contact me directly if you've got any more specific requests.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2005, 07:02:47 PM »
Lodging Update:

The Cedar Motor Inn (right on the main highway and only about five minutes away) currently has five rooms available for September 9th.  Three of them have queen size beds, the other two are mini-apartments.  All are well, well under $100.

Their number is (906) 228-2280.  I've never stayed there but it looks quite nice from the outside and I've heard rave reviews from travellers who've stayed there before.  It's all non-smoking as well.

I'm working on other options and will keep the group posted.  Again, any other questions please feel free to send my way.

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2005, 12:24:14 AM »
Mike DeVries,
Are you done with Meadow?

Lou,

Finishing up the long range restoration this year.  We only have the 13th green and bunker complexes on #13/#15 to complete this year and essentially we are complete, with only some additional tees and tree removal left to do in the coming years (these were put off for a variety of reasons, mainly time and $ at the time).

Mike

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2005, 12:28:00 AM »
Mike - There is still a very SLIGHT chance we can make this event, however, you should move my foursome to the "Improbable" list... the dates are conflicting with another event. If the conflict resoves itself we'll try to jump back in.

Thanks for the opportunity!

Michael,

There is another event?!?!??!?!  How can that be?!!??!?!

Hope it resolves itself in our favor!

Mike

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2005, 12:32:08 AM »
Lodging Update:

The Cedar Motor Inn (right on the main highway and only about five minutes away) currently has five rooms available for September 9th.  Three of them have queen size beds, the other two are mini-apartments.  All are well, well under $100.

Their number is (906) 228-2280.  I've never stayed there but it looks quite nice from the outside and I've heard rave reviews from travellers who've stayed there before.  It's all non-smoking as well.

I'm working on other options and will keep the group posted.  Again, any other questions please feel free to send my way.

Brian et al.,

See if the Cedar Motor Lodge (I think I stayed there with the family one time) could reserve those rooms for GCA people for that weekend.  Maybe they can be reserved in a "group" name and participants can call up to get a room?

Mike

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2005, 09:45:33 AM »
Update again: Cedar Motor Inn is full.  The person I spoke with this morning when trying to reserve the rest for GCA said whoever gave me positive information yesterday was wrong, but they'll still honor the one reservation they received in that time.  More to come...

Jim Franklin

« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2005, 10:17:36 AM »
I just got back from Marquette and if you can make it to Greywalls you should. The course was a blast to play. I felt like I was in Scotland with the mounds, a few blind shots, and firm and fast fairways. Great views of Lake Superior. Green sites were a treat to play and I can't wait to get back. I am sorry to miss the September 9 outing, but #3 is due August 30. I am good, but not that good ;).
Mr Hurricane

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2005, 01:31:49 PM »
OK, here is our update on the Greywalls Outing, courtesy of asst. pro Brian Sleeman's help.

LODGING:
   The Logging Congress has everything in the central U.P. booked on Friday night, but things open up on Sat. because the conference is over.

I propose we start the event at noon on Sat. the 10th.  This will give people time to drive/fly in from their respective location and get there for a lunch/overview of the event, followed by golf and dinner that night.  

Saturday, Sept. 10
    Noon -- lunch and preview
    Golf Greywalls
    6pm -- dinner and presentation

Sunday, Sept. 11
    morning -- golf Heritage Course (possible replay of Greywalls if club event is not full).
    afternoon -- play Greywalls again for those who would like.

Let me know if this is good for people.

Mike

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2005, 01:32:19 PM »
Here is the list of participants I have as confirmed:

Mike DeVries
Brian Sleeman
Mike McGuire
Dick Daley
Paul Thomas
Joe Hancock
Jeff Mingay
Brian Cenci +1
Jim Saffell +1
Kenn Hruska
Craig Moore
Chris Moore
Josh Smith
Robert Nelson
Jeff Goldman

Let me know of additions/deletions.

Mike

Updated at noon, July 29.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 12:04:02 PM by Mike_DeVries »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2005, 08:57:19 PM »
Mike - We definitely can't make it due to a local (SC) conflict. Please mark my foursome off the list.

Mike Whitaker
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 08:58:31 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2005, 12:26:50 PM »
Hi All,

I will be traveling for the next 3 weeks and not sure of my web availability, etc. so wanted to remind those who are coming to check on lodging availability for Sat. the 10th.

We will start at Noon on Sat. with lunch and a preview, followed by golf on Greywalls that afternoon, dinner and presentation that evening.  Sunday golf on the Heritage course will be available, with Greywalls accessibility subject to another event.

If anyone has any questions, they can contact Brian Sleeman at Greywalls 906-225-0721.

Looking forward to the event!

Mike DeVries

RJ_Daley

« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2005, 01:00:28 PM »
I just made the res. at the Econo Lodge.  They were the only ones with a 24 hour cancellation policy that I could find.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2005, 03:07:21 PM »
The Econo Lodge is literally two minutes from our pro shop, and isn't that bad a stay.  Plus you've got a nice family restaurant across the street.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2005, 03:28:11 PM »
sounds good Brian.  I intend to sleep, and if you all are lucky, shower there... ::) ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Sean_Tully

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2005, 02:13:00 AM »
Mike,

It wasn't too hard to make up my mind after talking to you the last time you were at Meadow.  Including myself and Josh Pettit we have four of us coming from Meadow. I'll see you on Monday, the dozer is waiting!!! Hope you had a good trip to England and that you took a lot of pictures!!

Also, to anyone that knows anything about Wawashkamo Golf Club on Mackinac Island. I'm thinking about stopping for some golf there if I can get it to fit into my schedule.  They have hickories available for rent and considering that the course dates back to 1898 it should be interesting.

A funny sidenote as to the origins of the name for the course found on their website...Built in 1898, the name Wawashkamo comes from a Chippewa phrase meaning "walk a crooked trail" and was given by a local chief after observing a group of golfers on the links.

Tully

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2005, 03:46:02 PM »

Mike DeVries
Brian Sleeman (MGC asst. pro)
Mike McGuire
Dick Daley
Paul Thomas
Joe & Trixie Hancock
Jeff Mingay
Brian Cenci +1
Jim Saffell +1
Kenn Hruska (MGC Green Chair)
Craig Moore
Chris Moore
Josh Smith
Robert Nelson
Sean Tully
Josh Pettit
Jon Kamps (MGC member)

Let me know of additions/deletions.

I am back in the States and looking forward to the event.  Above is the latest list of confirmed participants.  Please let me know if anyone else is interested.  

Also, a big round of applause to the foursome of architecture junkies from the Meadow Club staff who are travelling to the Midwest to play -- I think they will be a formidable team and are coming a long way, so we better buck up and make a good impression with some good golf from other areas of the country!

Again, golf after lunch and followed by dinner in the clubhouse, with opportunities for discussion and presentation.  Any requests or thoughts on topics are welcome.

Steak dinners work for everyone?  If not, let me know.

Mike
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 08:45:57 PM by Mike_DeVries »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2005, 04:07:01 PM »
I hope everyone has reservations for a place to crash by now.  Because of that lumberjack convention, as we noted above, there were no available rooms for Friday.  I plan to drive the 3.5 hours in the early morning Saturday and stay Sat-Sun nights.  I'm still working one of my local yokel golf buddies to come with me.  

Joe Hancock

« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2005, 07:46:38 PM »
Mike,

Despair will follow you all the rest of your days if you don't PROPERLY update the list of attendees.....and don't expect me to bail you out if she becomes an afterthought!!!!! ;D

p.s. She already wondered if she would be the only female. I assured her that she "probably" wasn't. :-X

We're both doomed anyway.

Joe

Mike: Thanks for the addition.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 08:48:24 PM by Joe Hancock »
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

PThomas

« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2005, 09:43:38 AM »
thought I'd bring this back up.....

looking forward to seeing y'all :)

pt

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2005, 10:21:30 AM »

Mike DeVries
Brian Sleeman (MGC asst. pro)
Mike McGuire
Paul Thomas
Joe & Trixie Hancock
Jeff Mingay (not positive)
Brian Cenci +1
Jim Saffell +1
Kenn Hruska (MGC Green Chair)
Craig Moore
Chris Moore
Josh Smith
Robert Nelson
Sean Tully
Josh Pettit
Jon Kamps (MGC member)

Okay, we have lost Mr. Daley  :'(  (and with him, a major source of good fun, so everybody will have to pick it up a little!).    :)

See you at noon at the pro shop.  If there are any additions, let me know.

Mike

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2005, 10:27:20 AM »
I was excited about getting back to Greywalls to play, but I can't make it either  :'(

Soon though...

Have fun everyone! I know you'll enjoy the experience, and the opportunity to chat with Mike.
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back