News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Schulte

Entirely Synthetic Course
« on: December 06, 2003, 05:11:35 PM »

Below is an article as published in "Colorado AvidGolfer Magazine" reporting that the first all synthetic 18 hole course is in the works.

Is this the way of the future?  Any predictions on the financial feasibility of this concept?

"Artificial Intelligence"
Dan Bjorkman of Mancos makes history with Echo Basin, the world's first all-synthetic 18-hole layout

BY DAVID R. HOLLAND

After three years of drought in Colorado, many believed this would be a summer dominated by water restrictions and brown fairways scarred with bare spots. But Dan Bjorkman, owner of Echo Basin Ranch, a dude ranch just north of Mancos in southwestern Colorado, is building a golf course that will be the greenest in Colorado—guaranteed. Echo Basin Ranch and Golf Club will be the world’s first all synthetic eighteen-hole golf course, and nine holes should be ready for play this summer.

Bjorkman dreamed of building a golf course ever since he purchased the 510-acre property six years ago. His initial vision included summer days with the wives riding horses and the guys playing golf. But every time he mentioned building a regulation-length golf course, critics would challenge his dream. They’d remind him that his parcel of land just didn’t have access to sufficient water for fulfilling his needs—anywhere from 500,000 to a million gallons every time he turned on the irrigation system. Then last summer, during one of the worst Colorado droughts in more than a century, Bjorkman’s dream just about dried up.

That’s when his nephew, Matt Rauh V, a former superintendent at Kissing Camels Golf Club in Colorado Springs, became the Western Slope dealer for TourTurf by FieldTurf, and he planted a new vision in his uncle’s dream. “Matt said I should put a TourTurf putting green in my backyard,” Bjorkman recalls. “That’s when I said, ‘To heck with my back yard; let’s do the entire golf course.’”

Once the idea started moving, Bjorkman realized there would be other benefits as well, including much less money needed for maintenance. He wouldn’t need to have it mowed, apply many pesticides or irrigate it. In short, a crew of two could handle the maintenance. Their jobs would involve raking the bunkers, brushing the synthetic blades, rolling areas like greens to push down the blades, and replacing the “Nike Grind,” the mixture of recycled ground-up tennis shoe rubber and silica sand used as infill beneath the synthetic grass. It’s these materials that combine with the turf blades to allow the surface to respond to golf shots much like real grass. There’d be no need to cut new holes every day. Pre-cut holes would be positioned all over the greens. The holes not being used would be plugged.

And according to Joe Niebur, whose Niebur Golf Inc. of Colorado Springs Bjorkman selected as general contractor for the project, there’s another bonus: “We are always telling folks outside Colorado how we can have a foot of snow one day and 60 degrees the next,” says Niebur. “All you have to do with this turf is remove the snow and you can be back playing almost immediately. And just think about those golf courses situated high in the mountains. Keystone sometimes has only 30 frost-free days a year—if they can make a turf that holds up to the elements, it will add days to play golf in similar climates.” Hard-core golfers, however, ask about performance. Will TourTurf respond like natural grass, or will it perform like hitting off those driving-range mats?

“We already have the putting green installed,” Bjorkman says. “And I’ve been hitting off a corner of it. It plays just like grass—the difference to a pro golfer will be very minimal. When you hit a clean shot, it displaces some of the Nike Grind and silica sand and the golf ball flies like on real grass and bites. If you hit a fat shot, the ball reacts the same—it might be a pop-up and it won’t fly as far. The only thing that might be a little different is a little club drag after you hit down on it. On grass a divot flies; here no turf will fly.”

What about bounce? “A ball flying into a natural-grass green on average bounces five or six feet after hitting,” says Bjorkman. “But it is about half that on this surface, and TourTurf actually bites a little better. It’s the Nike Grind and silica sand that support the grass fibers and cause softer reception to the turf.”

THE LAYOUT

Rauh, who is in a master’s program for landscape architecture at the University of Colorado at Denver, is Echo Basin’s architect. He says it will be a target-style layout through ponderosa pines and gambel oaks, with views of the San Juan Mountains, including Star Mountain, Hesperus Peak, Shark’s Tooth and Mesa Verde. The par-72, 7,200- to 7,300-yard layout starts at an elevation of 7,200 and climbs to 8,100 feet.

“This might sound a little crazy, but we want it to look as natural as possible even though the focus is on synthetic turf,” says Rauh. “It’s going to look intimidating, but won’t play as difficult as it appears. Where the turf ends, we will have waste bunkers in low areas, wild grasses along the fairway borders and pine straw spread through the ponderosas.”

The layout will have several water features, including a creek that meanders through the property and a couple of small ponds—one surrounding a par-three green on three sides. The course will employ a sub-irrigation system for the native grasses, as well as portable irrigation.

Each hole will feature four small tee boxes (they’ll have wooden tees just like on real grass), and there will be an equal number of dogleg right and left holes. “The par threes will vary in length from 100 to 230 yards, and there will be a drivable par-four, risk-reward hole,” Rauh says. “The par fives range from 510 to 630 yards.”

Rauh, who was working as assistant superintendent at The Rim Golf Club in Payson, Ariz., when he got the call his uncle had purchased the land, says he knows every square foot of the Echo Basin property. He finished his layout design soon after the purchase.

“It was at The Rim that I developed an interest in course design,” Rauh says. “I was there from beginning of construction to completion and did much the same at another property across the street named Chaparral Pines.”

LOGISTICS, SPECIFICATIONS,
AND DRAWBACKS

How do you handle 1.4 million square feet of TourTurf, 12 million pounds of silica sand, 800,000 pounds of Nike Grind, 12,000 tons of base material and 25,000 tons of choke stone? Truck loads will come in stages. TourTurf will be rolled out just like carpet hole-by-hole. Silica sand will be stored in silos.

TourTurf costs between $8 and $12 per square foot installed, which includes laying carpet rolls of synthetic grass over the infill and a foundation of geotextile, choke stone, open-graded stone and, at the bottom layer, soil. Bjorkman doesn’t confirm what the total cost will be, but agrees an estimate between $9 million and $14 million is correct.

Drawbacks of past synthetic-turf projects have included turf-fading in intense sunlight, smokers throwing cigarettes on the turf, gophers tunneling under it, weeds coming up through the seams, and fill material being washed away by strong rains or flooding.

According to TourTurf, the unique polyethylene/ polypropylene blend fibers contain UV protection in every blade and are guaranteed not to fade for fifteen years. Smoking will only be allowed in the golf carts. Seams can be ripped up in case of burrowing animals and repairs made under specific spots. The choke stone shouldn’t allow weeds to come up. And before delivery the Nike Grind rubber and sand has been subjected to a cryogenic process freezing it to 300 below zero, making it heavier than water; particles sink rather than get washed away. In addition, each particle of rubber and silica sand is spherical in design to throw off moisture and create a permeable infill structure. In case of forest fire, the turf will melt without any toxic fumes.

With college and professional football and baseball fields converting from artificial turf to natural grass, Dan Bjorkman’s gamble may seem a bit counterintuitive. But considering the environmental challenges of maintaining golf courses in our part of the world—and considering the technological advances made in artificial turf manufacturing—what’s going on in the mountains west of Durango could signal the future of golf.

David R. Holland is a Colorado AvidGolfer
contributing editor

http://www.coloradoavidgolfer.com/avidGolfer/site/feature.aspx?iFeatureID=306

« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 05:35:17 PM by M_Schulte »

Jim_Kennedy

Re:Entirely Synthetic Course
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003, 05:24:56 PM »
M_Schulte,
One good feature, the turf costs are a depreciable and deductible asset.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Andy Hodson

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2003, 05:36:10 PM »
I heard about this course a  couple of weeks ago when I jokingly said to a friend of mine that millions could be made with a synthetic practice tee (since it seems all practice tees become very sandy over time; not to mention divot filled). Someone nearby overheard and mentioned this particular course.

My feeling is the turf needs to play very, very similar to regular turfgrass for this to work (Obviously). And, as these things tend to do, the pioneer in this probably won't fair as well, if at all,  as those following in the footsteps.

But think of what happens if it does work. (Could be an entire thread of its own.) Higher start up costs that would be recouped through much, much lower maintenance costs. "Perfect" conditions all the time. No punching of the greens. No frost delays.

No superintendents.

I'm not ready for this to succeed. I need the smell of freshly mown grass on a summer's morning.

But I do think a mint could be made on synthetic practice tees.

DPL11

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2003, 06:05:37 PM »
Andy,

Synthetic practice tee materials have been available for quite some time. Some are better than others, but it just doesn't react like real turfgrass, obviously. Sand is usually incorporated into the surface, which over time can get as hard as concrete.

They keep getting better, but I don't think they will ever be widely accepted except as an extra tee to use during regular tee renovation.

DPL11

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2003, 08:23:39 PM »
The problem is one of deterioration of the materials.

We are working on a plan for a 2-acre practice area using artificial greens and fringes. Why? because the community has no golf maintenance in the vicinity and would have no hope of maintaining greens. We will have real grass to hit from, and sand. We know the failure scenario as there is a small "course" there currently and it is NOT maintained at all!

We are planning on an 8-year life span for the greens and fringes for our project...in the Arizona sun. So, in Colorado it COULD be better...but I doubt it. And would certainly not hinge success on anything longer than 10 years life. Perhaps they will have water by then?

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Matthew Schulte

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2003, 08:36:47 PM »
Forrest:

With the elevation in Durango at just over 6500 feet above sea level, the sun's intensity at that altitude would be at least as intense as that of Arizona.  I suspect their life expectancy projections are considerably less pragmatic than yours.

I also understand Arnold Palmer is building a course in Missouri (called Rock Top?) that will also partially employ artificial turf.

I guess for me, I am fine with it for driving ranges, people's backyard greens, hotels, business parks etc.  However, I am not yet convinced that it will play true enough for an authentic golf experience.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I guess I am also OK with the way the Scots use it to maintain heavy foot traffic areas.   ;D

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2003, 08:43:04 PM »
At $60 dollars a round, how many rounds will he have to do? With a 15 year color variable (and how the hell do they know that? A test? ::)) the future of golf maybe white fairways. ;D

If it were a little lower in elevation I think he'd have a chance for year round cash flow. But once the snow hits it will take more than two guys to shovel it. ;D

If anybody does check this out also go and play Conquistador in Cortez, (Press Max)The Hideout in Monticello (Forest) and a total unknown. A gentleman I met last year has built himself nine holes at his B&B, Cloud Nine, I have no idea what it looks like but in the spirit of some of the old timers, this guy just went out and built it without knowing boo about gca. I believe he had someone from Mccumbers firm look at it, anybody know who that is and what they thought?

I wish'em luck but without bounce and roll the game will be just a rehash of the principles that turned peoples brains into mush and didn't have them coming back. Ya know, the market.

Andy Hodson

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2003, 11:43:25 AM »
DP
I know of the synthetic practice tees of today (mats, lines, etc.). They tend to be a bit "bouncy" and not very "authentic". Rather they suffice, as you say, as alternative hitting areas when the real turfgrass gets a break.

But I also know that artificial turf for say, football fields, has come along way since Monsanto came out with Astroturf.

Any ideas if a synthetic turfgrass that better replicates real turfgrass is any closer to a reality? That's the version, if it will exist at all, that will revolutionize practice tees. My belief.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2003, 12:45:22 PM »
Wow! Kissing Camels GC(mentioned in tha article)-what a name!!! My previous favorite golf course name was Elephant Rocks in northern AZ. Or should this be a separate thread?

Steve
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

DPL11

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2003, 12:46:36 PM »
Andy,

No doubt, but I don't know if that day will ever come. ;)

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2003, 02:48:17 PM »
DPL11,

Why? I am curious. Don't you feel that turfgrass today is just as far a leap beyond the original swards of un-mowed fescues which constituted ancient layouts?

And — by the way — it must have been hell to grow up as "DPL11"...are you related to R2D2? — or C3PO?

www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

DPL11

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2003, 02:56:41 PM »
Forrest,

Aren't we talking about tee materials?

C3PO is my 2nd cousin twice removed. ;)

DPL11

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2003, 03:00:45 PM »
Well, the course in Colorado is 100% artificial. At our 2-acre design we are talking about green surfaces and perhaps fringes being artificial — all else is real turfgrass.

But...I would not bet against a suitable artificial playing surface (tees, fairways and greens) within the next 10-years. They are nearly there with some products. Mankind is clever. Water is a resource that will "unravel" golf as we know it unless some more progress is made in turfgrass strains and — I hate to say it — the non-living "turfgrasses" as well.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2003, 03:01:20 PM by Forrest Richardson »
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

LKoonce

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2003, 04:33:06 PM »
Unless artificial turf technology is far more advanced than I've seen in evidence at various practice tees, an entirely artificial turf course ought to provide that "firm and fast" quality so often discussed here.   As would concrete.  :)

On a more serious note, I wonder if any study has been done on the effect of artificial turf on ball flight and on players' swings.  The physics of ball striking must change on harder surfaces (even on "naturally" denuded earth, such as hardpan), and I'd be interested to know how much the "give" of real earth and grass plays a part in ball flight.  I'd guess that at the very least there's a difference in the ball's spin off of artificial turf.  (If I'd paid more attention in my college physics classes, maybe I'd be able to figure it out myself).  

Also, I find that I alter my swing to "pick" the ball off of artificial turf, if for no other reason that if you hit down through the ball too much, your elbows pay for it (I know someone who has tendonitis from too much practice on artificial mats).  Unless newer versions of artificial turf provide much more give, I don't know that I'd want to play 18 holes on the stuff.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2003, 04:56:12 PM »
Lkoonce- Yes the advancements in fake turf have been remarkable. The secrets in the sand and the crushed limestone. Although there are quite a few methods. This one sounds a little too soft, not hard as you seem to think or as I'd like.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2003, 07:42:05 PM »
If you haven't been on one of the "fieldturf" football fields, do so if you get a chance.  It is so much better than the astroturf tees your average low rent driving range has they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same post.

I'd really like to play that course when it is done, just to see what it is like.  Maybe its great, maybe it sucks, but I'm sure it'll continue to improve and at some point it is probably something we need to get used to, especially in places like CO, CA and AZ where water could become a real problem if those areas continue to grow as fast as they have the past few decades.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

astavrides

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2005, 03:04:11 PM »
any news on this course?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2005, 03:10:56 PM »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

rgkeller

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2005, 10:18:51 PM »
They probably will overwater it.

Ben Voelker

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2005, 09:42:58 PM »
I have a question that someone who's in the matainence field might be able to answer.  I just graduated with a civil engineering degree, so know a little about environmental effects, but am certainly not an expert.

I would think this has to be one of the biggest, if not the biggest, outdoor use of field turf to this day.  With that being said, won't there be massive runoff problems?  Even if most of the rough is natural (is it?), the amount of ground surface that will be available on the site to help with water percolation will have been cut down rather substantially.  Will they be putting in some sort of gutter system similar to a roadway? :)  And if that's the case, will you get relief from these obstructions, similar to cart paths?  It seems like natural rough could just be downright mushy, especially after the big winter snows melt away in the spring.

I'm sure they've thought of this, but I'm curious as to how they're dealing with runoff, not only on their own site, but controlling the effect to the surrounding land.  It seems like it could be quite a difference without the installation of storm sewers or something similar, which would have to cost a fortune.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2005, 10:35:00 PM »
Typically, synthetic turf is installed over sand or gravel — the turf itself is very porous. I cannot speak to that being used in Colorado, but I assume it to be one of the many brands we have seen for artificial turfgrass.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Keith Williams

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2005, 10:42:39 PM »
Ben,

Welcome to the board; we need more civil engineers in here :)

Re the drainage issue, a couple of points pop into my mind here. 1)  Since there seems to be an irrigation supply issue in the area, I am under the impression that the climate for the course is rather dry and wouldn't necessitate a large drainage system.  2)  I would imagine that where drainage is necessary it would be easy to attempt to sheet flow the outside portions of the synthetic turf into the natural areas with the intent to avoid hot spot or point source outlets.  Sheeting a fair portion of the water off would probably suffice for infiltration purposes.  It would make sense to collect any interior drainage and outlet it off the sides of the corridors, daylighting it into natural draws or infiltration basins if necessary.

I would be interesting to see what they actually implement, though.

Keith.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2005, 10:44:17 PM »
 With that being said, won't there be massive runoff problems?  

Ben, While you could be correct, that there will be residual impact on neighboring or adjacent properties, there really is not too much to worry about. This is high desert, so if someone is the recipient of some extra free water, they won't be complaining. In other words, there just usn't enough to rainfall to worry about.

Now, Last I had heard this project was stalled. The owner took exception to the lack of uniformity, in the lies  ::) the artificial turf was offering.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back