News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Foley

Re:Geat short Par 5's and why.
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2005, 08:40:43 PM »
Here's a great short par 5 I bet only one other on the board here has played. It's #10 at Arrowhead a new public course outside Buffalo, NY designed by our one & only Scott Witter.

Par 5 504 yards. Small stream crosses the fairway at about 190 yards. A strand of trees guard the right side, perpendicular to the line of play. If you plan on hitting a big draw, the correct line is over thwe top of them. From the landing zone the fairway narrows (and a large bunker encroaches on the right hand side). A good drive leaves you 180-230 yards in on a diaganol to the green. If you decide to play up the fairway narrows and some wetlands begin to encroach.

The green is set up on a natural rise/small hill or mound. The green is plateau w/ a small section of fairway short w/ a narrow openeing in front to run the ball up onto. Any ball landing short will get kicked to the right into the native areas. Going for the green, you flirt w/ 3 (If I remeber correctly) bunkers which surround the left hand side and one back & right. The shot from the layup (or long approach) is over the native areas which are currently thinned out so recovery is possible, but very, very difficult. Any miss of the green will require great touch to keep the ball on the green.

A great hole on a solid, hidden gem here in Western NY (land of the great, inexpensive public access golf!!)  Anyone passing through should ceck it out. I'll write up more and start a seperate post on it shortly.
Integrity in the moment of choice

John Kirk

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2005, 02:28:09 AM »
For the modern stud player, Pumpkin Ridge #14 is a par 4, and played as a 4 in this year's club championship.

I'll nominate #16 at Stanford, an uphill 500 yard par 5 they can't lengthen.  A long uphill trek through the oak studded hills, it also features a deep gully (with rough length grass) short of the green.  Two power fades make the green.  Not too hard, but you can slice your drive out of bounds if you're careless.  Great golf hole.

Mark_F

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2005, 04:42:44 AM »
Sean,

Indeed I do.

In fact, what struck me about my most recent sojourn to the old dart was how many courses I played had a fine par five or two.

Even Porthcawl managed at least one.  ;)

Burnham, however, would be a much better course if they had blinds in the windows behind the first tee...

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2005, 05:07:48 AM »
Mark

You have a serious hangup with casual observers.  I never really thought about the big window.  I will be there on Wednesday.  If I give that window any thought I will be cursing you Tom Waits style.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Stuart Hallett

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2005, 08:21:12 AM »
Sean,

I went back to play Burnham & Berrow earlier this month and the 13th left me with some doubts over the risk and reward factor off the tee. The path or sandy ditch certainly serves the same function as a cross bunker, and is too be avoided at all costs. However the firm ground means the lay up is a small wood or long iron and the carry is too long for the majority of players.

I would much prefer if the banking that defines the sandy ditch was flattened on the left side with some sort of rustic grass coverage (like the 18th approach). This would reward a boldly struck draw on the right to left dogleg, or even better, a straight hit over the dunes. The public footpath could still be used and the ditch on the right would take care of most hit & walk golfers (which incidently is where my ball landed, shame on me).

I believe that this new opening of say 10yrds would give an extra option for many players off the tee and encourage more attempts to get on in two. If your drive is short of the path, then it is just suicidal to take on the green, especially if you know what awaits. The 2nd and 3rd shots are very unforgiving.

Having said that, it's a definitely a great Par 5 on a fantastic and technically demanding links.

Mark,
Be reassured, the angle of the 1st makes it very difficult to judge the tee shot from the central or right sided clubhouse windows (the most popular near the bar). However if the place is packed with members, and you happen to know some of them, then I agree with the blinds idea. Fortunately, that was one of the few good drives I hit all day.

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2005, 11:15:35 AM »
Stuart

You may have something there.  I wouldn't know until I hung about the path and watched loads of single figure players come through before being sure.  My reservation about a fairway through the path is that I don't think there is an advantage to be gained by going this way.  Attacking the green in two from the left is suicidal.  The line in is from the right.  However, there are two factors which I like about your idea.  1. In theory, I don't like full fairway width crossbunkers.  They do limit options (even if in this case I think the option is a poor one for the risk involved off the tee).  2. Perhaps creating a "false" line off the tee is quite clever.  Sometimes throwing red herrings out there is better for the course.  

I can remember being duped a few times by carrying a bunker only to find there was no advantage in doing so.  A classic example is #16 at Littlestone.  There is a bunker guarding the left corner (there is loads of dunesy rough doing the job already).  Attempting to carry this bunker is very difficult and it offers no advantage if successful.  However, the risk taken on is a possible lost ball.  This is not necessary at all because there is plenty of space out to the right and the angle of attack is better from the right.  Some people will be drawn to that left bunker like a moth to a flame.  

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back