News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Seeing Tom Paul live--an experience!
« on: August 29, 2005, 08:30:32 AM »
   After the PGA I posted about seeing Tiger live. Last Friday we had a consulting architect out to our course.We are located about 15 minutes from Merion.

As we stood in the left rough of our #5 hole discussing widening the fairway here comes Wayne Morrison with Mark Rowlinson in one "buggy" and Mr. Tom Paul in another.

One of  of our four or five members present said "This is a problem!" I said "It could be fun."

It took Tom about 35 seconds to ask his first question. It went something like this ."What are the strategic benefits to moving the fairway left?" He then engaged the architect and all comers in a lively exchange.

As we moved to the #7 hole, I approached him and said "Speak when you are spoken to." I knew that was impossible for him but I just wanted to set him off a little.

As we moved to the landing area of the hole the "widening"  of the left fairway discussion continued along with the question of evergreen removal on the right. The phrase "ideal maintenance meld" had its first utterance.

We did not discus the MorrPaul bunker as a group.

On to #8 tee and  Tom is now "warmed up". We discussed the view from the proposed new tee, widening the fairway to the right, the "beautiful diagonal" of the creek,etc.

I ,for one, was having a blast. I'm not too sure how some of our members felt about this interloper. At the end ,the architect, Tom, me, and one of the members had lunch. This member  is willing to hear input from anywhere if it can help our course. He certainly seemed to appreciate Tom.

Maybe someday Tom Paul will drop into your club and lend his advice--whether you want it or not ;D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 01:19:42 PM by mayday_malone »
AKA Mayday

wsmorrison

Re:Seeing Tom Paul live--an experience!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 09:56:30 AM »
We didn't discuss the MorrPaul bunker because it is happening and there's nothing to discuss!

The changes being discussed and approved represent vast improvements while for the most part going back to the original design intent.  The course will once again be as great as can be.

18 as a par 5 is a joke!  We'll have to get Mark Rowlinson, Mike Cirba, Tom Paul, Ian Andrew, Kelly Blake Moran, Ron Forse, Jim Nagle, Colin Sheehan, Craig Disher, Noel Freeman, Ran Morrissett, Bobsy Crosby and a multitude of others to blow up the back tee--you know the one directly under a huge tree (the grass will probably die anyway).  Let the members play from the former back tee as a 5 and low handicappers play the current members tee as a par 4--you know just as the qualifiers played it and loved it to a man.  

Maybe if we all sat you down, played Beethoven's fifth in the background with your eyes propped open you and others might just learn the folly of the hole as a par 5  ;)  Mike you know some of these guys, call them and get with the program.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 01:26:58 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Craig Disher

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 10:46:12 AM »
As soon as an influential member hears a ball whizzing by his ear from the 5th tee nature will take its course.

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 11:35:14 AM »
Mayday:

Have you noticed all the blabbing I've been doing on here recently about the contributors on this website getting involved in restoration projects if they want to truly understand what's going on and if they want to be credibly critical after the fact of restoration projects?

Well, that visit to Rolling Green is a perfect example of that. I get involved in restoration projects when that's the last thing a committee wants me to do.

But don't fret, it'll pay dividends in the end. As the old muffler slogan says you can thank me now or thank me later.  ;)

Scott Witter

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 03:37:28 PM »
Mayday,

I have not met Mr. Paul in person, but the image in my mind and the legend which preceeds him through his valuable streaming input on this site has left me laughing beyond control for the past 5 minutes as I read through your post.

It is all so clear as Tom drove up and began to lick his lips.  You must have been dying during this "show".  Sorry most of us missed the real thing, but I believe I speak for most of us in saying the scene must have been absolutely priceless.

"On to #8 Tee Tom is now warmed up" holy crap is that funny.  I wonder what fee Tom charges to drive up to my club and begin offering his thoughts.  Do you think it needs to be an old classic, or does he speak openly wherever?

Just having some fun Tom!

mike_malone

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 03:41:01 PM »
 Scott,

I think Tom would pay you a fee! He lives to pontificate on this stuff ;D

AKA Mayday

Scott Witter

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 03:44:23 PM »
Mayday,

Honestly, I'm not sure who made me laugh harder or more, Tom Pauls' character, or your writing of the moment, which was quite good I might add.

I think your right about which way the fee would go...that's just good stuff!

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 05:11:45 PM »
Honestly Mayday, I'm a very quiet and well mannered man. I wouldn't have said anything at all on any hole but at the first hole I met you all that comment about making the hole easier just sparked something and I couldn't control myself.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back