News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

St. Andrews Beach (images)
« on: July 31, 2005, 09:04:59 PM »
Looks like they have some images up on the St. Andrew's Beach website.  Here is the Gunmatta 18.

back nine

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jonathan Cummings

Re:St. Andrews Beach (images)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 09:10:13 PM »
Look's simply wonderful.  Can't wait to play it.

Rich Goodale - what do you think first hand??

JC

John Kirk

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 11:08:11 PM »
Nice land, nice sand.

Some pictures remind me of the golden, rolling, oak dotted hills of central California.

James Bennett

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 11:10:41 PM »
John Kirk

not surprising - the climate is very similar.  Except they will be eucalypts and the like, not oaks.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Pete Shaw

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 01:33:47 AM »
Love to be able to play it but all approaches so far have required me to go through a multi-stage Real Estate Sales Pitch.   Don't people understand that the course will sell itself if given the opportunity.
!

Any ideas on how to play it without stumping up 50 grand? ???

Mark_F

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 02:31:45 AM »
Michael,

Aside from a handful of these images, which are, I believe, the work of Larry Lambrecht, the photographs are not as good as the previous images that have been posted on the club's website.

These images are also fairly old, as the course doesn't really look anything like this now.  

I'm not sure when the book is due out, or how many there are, but David Scaletti took a number of snaps for a 12 page article in Paul Daley's Golf Arch vol. 3 which are undoubtedly much more poetic.

The Fingal gets started soon - hopefully I can grab some images and document the holes appearing on that land - assuming I survive Tom Doak's wrath, that is. :-\

Sean Walsh

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 05:43:03 AM »
As I understand it Paul's book is either currently on the Melbourne Docks or will be soon.  

I'd say 2 weeks.  I'm sure Paul will give a more accurate due date if he sees this.

Look forward to the snaps Mark.  

Mark_F

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 06:29:58 AM »
Sean,

Hopefully it's here NOW.

Won't the dredging hold it up if it's still at sea?? :P

Although I'm sure widening the bay is a good thing, given that all the good folks here must be dying to get a copy from Paul, and current ships can't fit through...

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 10:15:16 AM »
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/gunnamattaferguson.html

More nice photos, and a whole bunch of good prose. :)

Hope I get there someday.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

ForkaB

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 12:24:57 PM »
Look's simply wonderful.  Can't wait to play it.

Rich Goodale - what do you think first hand??

JC

Jonathan

I'll tell you when I travel the 10,000 miles from Fife to Australia! :)

Rich

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 10:23:22 PM »
I'll tell you when I travel the 10,000 miles from Fife to Australia!

;D Ha! Busted!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back