News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jimmy Muratt

Re:recommended: Kinloch
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2005, 10:15:57 AM »
A few comments.....

From the first time that I played Kinloch, the thing that left a lasting impression and drew me back were the decisions that you are faced with on nearly every shot.  It's the type of course where you really must play the hole backwards from the green to the tee.  Some of the decisions and options are more subtle than others, but they are still there.  In my view, to join a private golf club, the club must possess a course that is as fun and challenging the 100th time playing as it is the 1st.  This is a course that will keep you entertained and your mind occupied.

There actually are quite a few strong uphill holes and a few others employ slightly downhill tee shots and then uphill approach shots.  It definitely doesn't have the feel that you are blasting away from elevated tees all day.  There are many tee shots and approach shots as well where the landing area or green surface isn't even in view.  A few of the better approach shots such as #6, 9, 12, and 16 all play uphill and hide the surface.

As far as the bunkering goes, I think it suits the course just fine.  I also enjoy a rugged, hairy edged bunker as well, but it just wouldn't suit Kinloch.  The bunkering is extremely well placed and not overdone.  Just as it's great to see a course that does a great job with the rugged style of bunkering, so is it good to see the manicured look as well, if it's done well, that's the important thing.  Too much emphasis is placed on the length of grass surrounding the bunkers, if it's good......it's good.  Variety.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 10:16:58 AM by Jimmy Muratt »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back