News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

T_MacWood

White Bear Yacht Club
« on: June 11, 2005, 12:09:57 AM »
What was Ross contribution to this golf course?

Brad Klein

Re:White Bear Yacht Club
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 12:23:05 AM »
Tom, read my book, I even included the map by the original landscape architect, Charles H. Ramsdell. Ross was there in 1912 to do the original nine and came back in 1915 to do another nine, mainly with additional new holes north of the crossing road. Any questions should be directed to the longtime club superintendent, John Steiner, who has direct knowledge of every feature of the original design.

By the way, it was common to have an outside engineer do the full rendition - certainly before Ross got his own staff enginer in Oct. 1920. Rhode Island CC has the same thing on display on its clubhouse - a full design drawing by an engineering firm that relied upon Ross' plans.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 12:27:31 AM by Brad Klein »

T_MacWood

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 12:31:32 AM »
Brad
What brought Ross to Minnesota in 1912?

Brad Klein

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 06:22:56 AM »
A train.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 07:16:18 AM »
Cute
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 07:23:21 AM »
Is this going to be another Grove Park Inn thread? ;)

What's going on here? MacWood, what are you trying to be---a total iconoclast? Don't you realize Donald Ross is a God, why do you want to go around destroying all these long lasting myths at various golf courses? Don't you understand the man has entered into some serious golf architectural mythology at this point? Are you trying to embarrass Ross experts Brad Klein and Michael J. Fay too? :)

This reminds me of something Ken Bakst said to me a couple of years ago. I was talking to him about trying to get my mind around William Flynn and Ken blurted out;

"Just make some interesting stuff up, everyone else does!"  ;)

John_Conley

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 11:54:49 PM »
Tom, if you haven't seen it... WBYC is terrific.  Donald Ross did a lot of work in Minnesota.  Parts or all of:
INTERLACHEN
WOODHILL
MINIKAHDA
WHITE BEAR
NORTHLAND

And while you are there, make the drive to go see Eau Claire CC, which you may recall earned the moniker "The Greatest Course You've Never Heard Of" from me.  It was designed by the brother of the Vardon grip guy.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 02:38:35 AM »
He also did some work at Minneapolis Golf Club, a layout originally designed by Willie Park Jr.

Brad Klein

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 05:32:25 AM »
Tom Vardon was golf pro at White Bear Yacht Club, 1916-1937.

T_MacWood

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2005, 10:24:15 AM »
John
I have no doubt White Bear is a wonderful golf course...my question was regarding what Ross contributed there. Of the courses you listed WBYC is the only course Ross did not list within his booklet. Why?

Tom Vardon also designed Spooner Lake in Wisconsin and Minot CC in N. Dakota, as well as a number of courses in Europe, including the original course at Boulogne (Wimereux) and St. Augustine's (Kent). Before moving WBYC he was at Onwentsia, I believe he was there when William Watson redesigned that course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back