News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul_Turner

Re:Haagsche GC (pics)
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2005, 04:37:47 PM »
The last few, with the amazing 14th and 15th. (These pics are Frank's)

12th

14th

14 and 15

« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 04:40:08 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Stuart Hallett

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2005, 04:47:22 PM »
Tom,

I just wonder if the use of pesticides had been more reasonable, then maybe a total ban wouldn not have been necessary. I personally blame intensive agriculture and the domestic use of products by uncompetent individuals (proven to be the biggest polluters).

When you think that a golf course of say, 60 to 80 hectares has approx. 1.5 hectares of greens and maybe 1 hectare of tees. The small percentage of sprayed areas is peanuts for a problem that is all too often associated with golf.

Unfortunately, some golf clubs insist on green, striped surfaces, including fairways (another 10 to 15 hectares). If all these areas are over watered and over fed, then the amount of pesticides needed is multiplied. Was this the case on these Dutch courses, I don't know ?

Here in France, it was recently agreed that water restrictions will not effect the controlled watering of greens. I would like to see a similar policy for pesticides.

If we want good slick greens then water and some pesticides are essential.

NAF

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2005, 08:31:04 PM »
Paul or Paulina-

I'm just having a GO at you because I want you to give Simpson his due vis a vis what we saw your beloved HS Colt do on this trip..

Out of the 9 courses we saw, Spa would be #5 for me...

Mortfontaine
St. Germain  ( I just think it is so cunning given terrain!)
Kennemer
Hague
Zoute/Spa
De Pan
Eindhoven
Toxandria

Paul_Turner

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2005, 10:53:48 PM »
Noeletta

Just fed up with arguing about architects on GCA...I haven't mentioned names.  Just the course.  We're on roughly the same page although I'd have Zoute much higher.  And I think Pan edges Spa.

St Germain was the biggest surprise, eh?

Fontainebleau is the big miss for us, I reckon.  Remember Stuart thought it to be the match of Morfontaine!  From photos it looks pretty fine.

An eclectic for the trip (all courses must be included, balance not considered).  Try one that doesn't include any of these holes.

1 Kennemer
2 Morfontaine
3 Eindhoven
4  Toxandria
5 Zoute
6 Pan
7 St Germain
8 Morfontaine
9 Kennemer
10 St Germain
11 Pan
13 Zoute
14 Haagsche
15 Haagsche
16 Morfontaine
17 Spa
18 Eindhoven  
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 10:57:03 PM by Paul_Turner »

T_MacWood

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2005, 10:56:53 PM »
Paul
Is the history of Haagsche well documented? I have an old score card circa 1936...is that Abercomby or Colt? What became of the Abercromby course?

Paul_Turner

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2005, 11:10:28 PM »
Tom

No, poorly documented as far as I can tell.  Unlike Kennemer which has tons of stuff from HC.  I've found some stuff in magazines, and I think Alison was heavily involved (possibly all his).   The clubhouse went up in flames last year I think, but I'm not sure there was ever any archived material there- nothing in the club history

Haagsche is much later than the other dutch courses.  I think it may be 1938..don't have my notes to hand.  I suspect that you have Aber's course card.  The Alison/Colt course was also called Wildhoeve and is in those old rankings you found.  

Actually looking at those rankings:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/opinionmacwood6.html

With Alison and Simpson conveniently on the panel,  Noel and I played 5 of them on this trip!  I think only Morfontaine makes the list now.

The original course Aber was built somewhere beginning with the letter "C" (I can't remember).

NAF

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2005, 07:53:16 AM »
PAUL- My thoughts

1 Kennemer- (AWESOME STARTING HOLE! What movement in the fairway)
2 Morfontaine (GREAT PAR 3, #17 at New Zealand is similar)
3 Eindhoven
4  Toxandria
5 Zoute-great dg left short par 5..bunker schemes
6 Pan
7 St Germain- one of Colt's best par 3s no one has heard of.
8 Morfontaine- all Europe par 4 with the blind drive and bowl green!
9 Kennemer- Ruined by the stupid driving range.
10 St Germain- Terrific volcano esque green but tough not to give props to #10 at Kennemer, another favorite
11 Pan
13 Zoute-great dg left
14 Haagsche-All world
15 Haagsche-Definitely All world
16 Morfontaine- epic
17 Spa- Awesome short par 4..
18 Eindhoven-Terrific use of bunker/knob to make hole semi blind if you wander too far right..  

A pretty good compendium amigo..

I hate that we missed Fontainbleau.  It eats away at me..Given Stuart's assessment I need to get back to the City of Lights.. But I'm not going to attempt to drive in PARIS!

Can you please post our Mortfontaine pix next or St. Germain.. Give me something to ogle over.. I have yet to download my pix as I lost the software to put it on my new laptop!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2005, 04:24:40 AM »
Great to see - look forward to more.

Royal Waterloo should not be considered.  It's dull.  Royal Belgique is far more interesting, and I'd suggest that anyone playing Spa should make time also to play Sart-Tilman (nearby at Liege).  

Sorry you couldn't make it to Hilversum - it's most enjoyable.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back