News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Liberty National
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2013, 11:36:59 PM »
For someone from flyover country there are not 100 courses in America more interesting.  

Tom Yost

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2013, 12:02:24 AM »
If Trump owned this place, he would have them turn that statue around.

David Panzarasa

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2013, 12:24:47 AM »
no matter if the course is "good or bad"..

Liberty is "looking" great on TV. I have never seen more blue skies, greener grass, and what seems to be the perfect weather. The TV camera's are making this look like Bermuda or the Hamptons. I cant imagine the PGA Tour or Liberty National dreaming they would get this type of weather and beyond high color resolution on TV this week.

Is it just me,  or does it seem to be more "eye popping" on TV this week then usual? Eye popping in terms of colors, and clarity and such?

Jud_T

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2013, 01:08:01 AM »
For someone from flyover country there are not 100 courses in America more interesting.  

Well let's see.  As someone from flyover country who has yet to play it I'd say just within a few hours drive I'm more interested in playing CC Fairfield, Tamarack, Yale, Fishers, Century, Engineers, Fresh Meadow, Garden City, Maidstone, NGLA, North Shore, Piping Rock, Quaker Ridge, Paramount, Hackensack, St. George's, Shinny, Westhampton, Southampton, East Hampton, Whippoorwill, Bayonne, Friar's Head, Hidden Creek, Winged Foot (x2), Atlantic City CC, Canoe Brook, The Creek, Essex County, Forsgate, Hollywood, Mountain Ridge, Pine Valley, Plainfield, Ridgewood, Somerset Hills, The Knoll, Aronimink, Gulph Mills, Huntington Valley, Lancaster, Manufacturers, Merion, Philly CC, Philly Cricket, Rolling Green, Stonewall (x2), Saucon Valley and Lehigh.  But that's just off the top of my head...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JR Potts

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2013, 01:23:17 AM »

Liberty is "looking" great on TV. I have never seen more blue skies, greener grass, and what seems to be the perfect weather. The TV camera's are making this look like Bermuda or the Hamptons. I cant imagine the PGA Tour or Liberty National dreaming they would get this type of weather and beyond high color resolution on TV this week.

Is it just me,  or does it seem to be more "eye popping" on TV this week then usual? Eye popping in terms of colors, and clarity and such?

Agreed 100%.  It looks video game good.  Some of the views and colors are so dramatic and unique, that it feels like it's manufactured.  It's the Truman Show of golf...almost too perfect looking.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2013, 09:00:53 AM »

Well let's see.  As someone from flyover country who has yet to play it I'd say just within a few hours drive I'm more interested in playing CC Fairfield, Tamarack, Yale, Fishers, Century, Engineers, Fresh Meadow, Garden City, Maidstone, NGLA, North Shore, Piping Rock, Quaker Ridge, Paramount, Hackensack, St. George's, Shinny, Westhampton, Southampton, East Hampton, Whippoorwill, Bayonne, Friar's Head, Hidden Creek, Winged Foot (x2), Atlantic City CC, Canoe Brook, The Creek, Essex County, Forsgate, Hollywood, Mountain Ridge, Pine Valley, Plainfield, Ridgewood, Somerset Hills, The Knoll, Aronimink, Gulph Mills, Huntington Valley, Lancaster, Manufacturers, Merion, Philly CC, Philly Cricket, Rolling Green, Stonewall (x2), Saucon Valley and Lehigh.  But that's just off the top of my head...

You forgot Cobb's Creek. The only thing your list supports is Fazio's contention that he would build a couple hundred top 100 courses. Liberty National is going to rock it today like few other courses ever will.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2013, 10:25:51 AM »
Is Liberty National good for the game? I was thinking that earlier this morning and anytime you can switch a landfill to a course that looks great with beautiful views, its great. And is going to make people want to play it.

Couple it with articles like this:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323980604579030813844524056.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet

Now if it was public or even a semi-reasonable members course it would be even better.

BHoover

« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2013, 02:40:41 PM »
I haven't been watching much this weekend, but can someone tell me why LN gets such a bad rap from GCAers and Tour pros? I just don't see what's so bad about it. Can anyone convince me otherwise?

Tim Pitner

« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2013, 03:33:24 PM »

It reminds me of some of the courses the European Tour plays in Dubai or elsewhere in the Middle East--carpets of green laid on the terrain with a lot of artificial mounding.  I don't see the appeal.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2013, 12:20:59 AM »

I haven't been watching much this weekend, but can someone tell me why LN gets such a bad rap from GCAers and Tour pros? I just don't see what's so bad about it. Can anyone convince me otherwise?

Sure, play there and you'll convince yourself

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2013, 02:33:45 AM »

Agreed 100%.  It looks video game good.  Some of the views and colors are so dramatic and unique, that it feels like it's manufactured.  It's the Truman Show of golf...almost too perfect looking.

Credit CBS for that. The network, as it does every week, plays with the shading so it gets the dark blue sky and bright green grass the same as a landscape photographer. Or me with the right lens filter and Photoshop, for that matter. Then play with the right angle and you can get the New York skyline or the Statue of Liberty in plenty of shots, but not see the rest of Jersey City. But not even CBS, which can make mud disappear at Augusta National, can get rid of the world's biggest driving range fence.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

John Percival

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2013, 06:02:37 PM »
LN and Bayonne are great contrasts. LN is flat and vanilla with great views (and a few noteworthy holes). But overall, without 'juice'. B is VERY edgy and probably has too much movement. Not to mention the containers and cranes.

If the two had a child, would probably be awesome.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back