News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Golden

The Emperor Strikes Back!!!!!
« on: April 15, 2005, 05:44:32 PM »
For all of us who have been Tommy's friend over the past ten years, watched him go through a very difficult time in his life, and then, a year ago, come to grips with all of it and take positive steps to make true lifestyle changes this will be a post that will make you feel really good.

Tommy and I played Rec Park in Long Beach today.  We played the ball down, match play (Tommy got 4 a side), no concessions, no mulligans, just real golf.  We were playing for a valuable prize which can't be mentioned on GCA.  Here's a summary of the match:

#1 (short par 4):  Tommy middle of fairway, 80 yards from green, Mike in right rough, 30 yards from green, Tommy makes par, Mike bogie, Tommy 1 up

#2:  (short uphill par 4):  Tommy middle of fairway, 110 yards from green, Mike in fairway, 80 yards from green, Tommy makes bogie, Mike par, match even

#3:  (downhill par 4):  Tommy fairway, Mike in right rough, Tommy makes an up and down par, Mike makes bogie from front of green, Tommy 1 up

#4: (uphill par 4):  Tommy and Mike in fairway, both make bogie, Tommy 2 up (gets stroke)

#5:  (uphill par 3):  Tommy makes par from off green, Mike bogies after 3 putt, Tommy 3 up

#6: (long par 4, terrific golf hole):  Tommy makes bogie, Mike makes par by one putting from 15 feet, Tommy 3 up

#7:  (dogleg right par 4, excellent golf hole):  Tommy makes double bogie, Mike pars, Tommy 2 up

#8:  (dogleg left par 4):  Tommy makes bogie, Mike just misses birdie, Tommy still 2 up (stroke hole)

#9:  (uphill par 5):  Tommy and Mike both make par, Tommy still 2 up

#10:  (dogleg right par 4, wonderful golf hole):  Tommy double bogies, Mike pars, Tommy 1 up

#11:  (dogleg right par 4, reverse Redan green, Tommy's personal favorite):  Tommy double bogies, Mike pars, Match square

#12:   (short par 3):  Tommy on green, Mike stiffs an 8 iron to 4', Tommy par, Mike birdie, Mike 1 up

#13:  (short par 4):  Tommy and Mike both miss birdie putts, Mike 1 up

#14:  (dogleg left par 5):  Tommy routine par, Mike up and down par, Match square (Tommy strokes)

#15:  (short, tight par 4):  Tommy great up and down par, Mike in trouble and makes bogie, Tommy 1 up

#16:  (uphill, blind par 3):  Tommy pushes tee shot, Mike's 8 iron looks like it's stiff-we walk up to the green and Tommy is just off the green pin high, Mike behind green.  Mike chips to 4', Tommy make BIRDIE!!! and goes Dormie

#17:  (good par 5):  Tommy gets in trouble off tee, winds up in front of the green in 5 and almost sinks the chip shot for double bogie,  Mike leaves birdie putt just short, Tommy now 1 up

#18:  (great finishing hole, dogleg right par 4, 395 yards,  fairway slope like Olympic Lake #17, uphill approach shot to shallow green)  Tommy strokes here-Tommy down middle, Mike hits it on right side and gets the world's luckiest bounce down to the 100 yard stake.  Tommy hits second shot in deep front bunker, Mike hits 9 iron to about 30 feet, pin high.  Tommy hits wonderful bunker shot to about 8', Mike leaves birdie putt just below hole, Tommy 2 putts and wins 1 UP.

So there you have it, Tommy played a complete, competitive match and beat me 1 up.  If you notice, I played the last 13 holes even par and picked up only 2 holes, and, when it counted most, Tommy went 1 under par for 5 holes to turn a 1 hole deficit into a 2 hole lead.  

A little over a year ago, Tommy and I played together and he was barely able to play a few holes out of the entire golf course.  Today he played 18 holes and looked like someone I wouldn't want to give 8 strokes to on a regular basis unless I was in a charitable mood.

I can't tell you how proud I am today to be Tommy's friend. :)

ed_getka

Re:The Emperor Strikes Back!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 05:56:28 PM »
Very cool! Keep up the great work Tommy, and I hope to see you the next time I get down to Rustic.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mike Benham

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 06:00:31 PM »
Mike was playing for the South at KP IV so that makes Tommy a member of the North (for 1 match anyway ;) ... (go with me on this  one Tommy, it's not like I am making you wear the black and orange of the SF Giants  ;D ), so by my scoring, Tommy's victory gives 1 point to the North, breaking the tie, and the KING'S PUTTER heads noth ...  Great playing Tommy, that's why we had you batting clean-up !!!
"... and I liked the guy ..."

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 06:38:07 PM »
That's terrific news, so glad to hear it.  Keep up the great work, Tommy!

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 07:04:42 PM »
Mike,

I'd love to play Rec Park again......especially with Tommy!
Tim Weiman

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 07:07:44 PM »
We were playing for a valuable prize which can't be mentioned on GCA.  

Very coy.  I know Tommy has some big goals and this is just a small step.  Congratualtions.

Below is what they were playing for.

www.amytaylor.net

Mike_Golden

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 07:18:32 PM »
Tim,

We have an 8:15 tee time on Tuesday, April 19th and an opening for one or two more-you're welcome to join us...

Joel, actually, this is the prize:
http://www.laurenlegends.com/

she's local and affordable ;D

Mike B:  sorry, your logic wouldn't even work if you were OJ's defense team ;D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 07:19:48 PM by Mike_Golden »

Will E

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 11:38:22 PM »
I thought T gave up golf for a gig in the music business with Sting.
Fantastic news, I'm hoping that we can get him up to Michigan for some summer golf. We've got a match set up against Wigler and Eminem at Plum Hollow on Eight Mile.

blasbe1

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2005, 01:20:06 AM »
Good to hear that the West Coast is still kickin some East Coast ass (if I recall, Mike, you once married a good Jewish girl from the Five Towns).

All be well  :)

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2005, 01:24:31 AM »
Tommy, I had a nice visit with Geoff S tonight at Spanish Bay. He told me the good news of how well you are doing and the gambling  tough spot it puts him in. Congrats and stay the course for I am but one of many praying for your efforts daily.  

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2005, 03:06:00 AM »
Thanks to everyone for being behind a really fat guy! :)

Actually, I'm feeling really good about myself at this very moment and although I'm sort of pissed my good friend Mike Golden is setting sail for Pensacola next week, one thing I have learned is you don't hold people back from continuing their life's goals. Mike is going to be doing really great down there. Panhandle Bill, take care of my man down there!

John B,
We are just 24 pounds away from goal one! :)

Its great to have my life back, but I have just begun to climb this mountain.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2005, 03:10:16 AM »
Mike B,
I'm not saying nothing about baseball, and I'm just breathing and counting my steps S-L-O-W-L-Y ! ! ! ! ! !

T_MacWood

Tommy the Great
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2005, 09:48:14 AM »
Tommy is the comeback kid. He is also largely responsible for the mending of differences between TE and myself. I prefer Saint Tommy to Emperor Tommy.

Steady as she goes!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 09:48:44 AM by Tom MacWood »

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2005, 11:28:42 AM »
Mike,

Be careful of the Emperor. I played him in KP-Barona and he was 2-under par after five holes.

I'd made the mistake a few weeks before (also at Barona) of letting him use my Ping Driver. He started out on #4 by whistling it over the carry bunkers, turning the ball over so it would chase down the hill.

Next time I saw him, one of the club reps had given him an identical stick - 10 degrees, two degrees flat lie. He already played the identical irons I do - Ping Eye2 1982 with orange dot. . . . spooky.  

You have to remember that Tommy has super-sensitive hands. The first time we met (it has been a few years), we went out to hit some balls before teeing off.

He laid the sod over the first 4 swings and then literally flushed 20 straight 6-irons to the exact same spot on the range.

If he keeps losing weight, he is going to end up giving you (and me) strokes.

I'm proud as heck of him and love Tommy like a brother.

But I would not give him 4 a side and play for more than a nickel.       ;)

P.S. Speaking of Barona, had a round yesterday with Eckenrode. Geez, I wish I had his golf swing. . . . or anything that resembles one.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 11:31:09 AM by Gib Papazian »

Mike_Golden

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2005, 05:41:56 PM »
Gib,

We were playing for something so highly valued even the Hope Diamond wouldn't be a worthy substitute.  I did take him down to the last hole, though (of course, I was even over the final 13 holes ;D)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2005, 05:47:35 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for the great report.

Tommy,

I'm really proud of you, man.

ed_getka

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2005, 12:22:04 PM »
Tommy,
   Its Ace McBride now. 8)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2005, 12:32:26 PM »
Tommy, when you get to one of your goals (as I know you will) of playing and walking again, I would be very happy to loop for you in one of your epic match plays.  But, can I get 10% of the loot? ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back