News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Mollica

TWP as a GCA Featured Interview ??
« on: December 22, 2002, 08:23:18 PM »

Good morning everyone.

I’m relatively new to the GCA site, and have taken great delight in recent months, in scrolling back through the past pages / discussions on courses, and all the other golf issues.

With specific reference to other members here in Melbourne, Australia, it has been great to read all of your comments on Moonah Links, TWP, Ranfurlie, the Open / green speeds at Vic, and loads of other topics.

With regard to TWP specifically, the general sentiment among many seems to be fairly critical, with particular focus being their recently designed courses, especially those on the Mornington Peninsula.

As a member at The National, I’m familiar with many of the arguments, and of the short-comings of The National Ocean course.  I’ve recently been to Moonah Links, in part just to play, but also to see what everyone is talking about.  It’s hard to make an informed comment when not having played a course at least once....

Personally, I’d be very interested to see Peter Thomson, Mike Wolveridge or Ross Perrett (Thommo in particular), as a featured interview here on GCA.  Seeing many of us have been vocal, following recent play on a number of their courses, I feel it would be an interesting exercise to see what they have to say, what makes them tick, what courses inspire them, what they have to say of some of their work, and so on.

What do others think about Thomson, Woolveridge and / or Perrett as a feature interview here on GCA ?

Matthew
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Gary Smith (Guest)

Re: TWP as a GCA Featured Interview ??
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2002, 08:34:57 PM »
Thomson would be an excellent interview, and I mentioned his name on a similiar thread about potential interviewees over a year ago.

Any man who advocates throwing away bunker rakes, and making bunkers a penalty instead of a refuge, certainly understands things, IMO.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2002, 06:06:31 AM »

Gary,

I agree with your sentiments that Peter Thomson is on the money when he suggests that doing away with bunker rakes is a good thing. I mean, are they hazards or not ?

It's just one of many things he might address during an interview. I imagine that he would have some thought-provoking things, and some controversial things to say on course design.

The opportunity to hear from someone who won a fifth british open, beating a field boasting Player, Palmer, Trevino, Watson and Nicklaus has always gotta be good from a historical perspecive (even if most of us don't like much of his recent design work...)

Matthew
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2002, 06:48:49 AM »
It would be OF COURSE a great treat to do a Feature Interview with Thomson - do you have any contact details? Talk about a man who played with an appreciation of the ground game - I'm not exactly sure if their designs reflect that same appreciation but let's ask the man himself!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2002, 09:54:45 AM »
Ran:

For those of the forum who do not know of Peter Thomson's record, I thought the thread below might be of help.

http://www.thebraidsociety.com/private/pages/Thomsonorat.html  

Hayden Somerville

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2003, 06:13:34 PM »
Ran,

Have you had any luck here?

The website of TWP (his architecture firm)  is  

http://www.twp.com.au

and the contact email addresses are listed there. I certainly think he would make a great subject.

Danny Goss

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2003, 06:57:11 PM »
He would make a very interesting interview.

Peter Thomson has a very thoughtful article in today's Melbourne Age regarding the Els win this week and also the technology issues in golf today. Many on this site will be in full agreement with him.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/01/14/1042520614917.html

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back