News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Bob_Huntley

Morefar....
« on: April 27, 2005, 12:01:45 PM »
How good is Morefar and who has played it?

Bob

Scott_Burroughs

Re:Morefar....
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 12:22:20 PM »
Bob,

Similar question was asked in the other thread.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 12:27:56 PM »
Scott,

Yes, I saw that, but I think I was 15 seconds ahead of David.

Bob

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 12:41:24 PM »
Bob,
I've played it,but it was 10-11 years ago.
In an area populated with countless good or great courses,it certainly doesn't stand out.
Nice,but no architectural gem-and I'm not really into statues.
(but who knows maybe my tastes have changed since then)
I didn't realize access was such a big deal(although the article stated on an average day 20 foursomes play there daily so it's certainly highly accessible to some) ;I played it with a student of mine who had formerly been an assistant pro there.
Regards,

Jeff
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 12:48:24 PM »
Scott,

Yes, I saw that, but I think I was 15 seconds ahead of David.

Bob

Sorry, I saw his first, and didn't see yours.  In the other thread, I provided an aerial of the course.

I'd be interested in the origin of the name.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 12:49:01 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

Alex Chehansky

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 01:01:18 PM »
I think Morefar is a gem.  I played it in 2002 and it was a fantastic layout, with fast, firm greens and no piece of grass out of place.  It certainly is not going to be a top 50 course, but it is fun to play, in great shape, and always empty.

It was built by AIG corporation to host japanese clients.  It was called the AIG course or something like that and while the CEO Ace Greenburg was in the limos with the Japanese visitors, they would look at him and say "More Far to course?", hence the name Morefar.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 01:58:48 PM »
Alex,

Great story on the origin of the name!  Funny how these things happen...good thing they didn't reply with "Ah, so"...

Greg Holland

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 02:15:14 PM »
According to today's Wall Street Journal, AIG's founder, Cornelius Vander Starr, who founded AIG in Shanghai in 1919, "brought [back] with him a preoccupation with Asia that still pervades the company."  The Club logo is three Chinese characters that roughly translate to "faraway place."  "The most repeated story of how Morefar got its name was that Mr. Starr hired a number of Chinese workers to help with the estate and that when visitors from New York would be looking for it, they'd ask directions of one of these laborers and hear, 'More far, more far.'"

scott_wood

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 08:41:02 PM »
and teh story I was told was that itwas teh caddies who would say "more far, more far"......it's been many years, but the front nine is the original, approx 60-80 years old, when it was Mr Starr's residence, and teh 2nd nine, routed down by the lake was done by RTJ in teh early 60's..thus a very "schizoid" experience.....

blasbe1

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 07:25:35 PM »
I played it only once, it had one great short par three, the rest was unmemorable, not worth playing unless you're an AIG-phile.  Plus it had weird naked statues all over the place, nice for museums but the stupidest thing I've ever seen on a golf course.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 10:18:28 PM »
Uncle Bob,

I've been there a couple of times and by the second visit, I was aiming deliberately at the statues (even hit two). It is circus golf at it's finest, but it's most redeeming factor is that has served as Tom Fazio's guiding template for all of the Trump courses!

The resemblance is clear and unmistakable!! A "Trump de resistance!"

We remarked after stepping off the 18th, that "More Far" should have kept going until it reached somewhere else. :o :o
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 10:18:53 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back