News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Trenham

Re:Odd forms of GolfClubAtlas Generosity...
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2005, 10:56:33 PM »
Over the summer Ed Getka mentioned on here that he had found a copy of the Architects of Golf in a used book store at a very nice price and asked anyone interested to IM him.

Ed sold it to me for the same low price.  It made a great Christmas gift for my father this year.  See some years ago we went on our annual tour scouting out old courses and somewhere along the way (near CC of Troy) his copy of this book got wet and warped.  Neither of us knows how but I figure I am to blame as it was under my car seat.

We both had been looking for a suitable replacement since.  And now I have the warped copy.

Thanks Ed
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2005, 11:09:10 PM »
I have been sent pictures.

I have cooked dinner.

I have learned.......

Joe

I once HELPED you cook dinner!  8)
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Joe Hancock

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2005, 11:11:21 PM »
Evan,

It was a great time too.......I don't remember the menu, but I'm sure with us two at the helm, it HAD to be good!

We need to get together sometime.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2005, 11:14:45 PM »
It was some sort of dish wrapped in tin foil, and I think it involved chicken...and YES...we are due to get together again sometime soon!!!

Two years is too long!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Brian Phillips

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2005, 09:38:42 AM »
A man named TEP  ;D did wonderful things for me and my fellow architects on a trip over to the US.  The details do not need to be put on here but he was a pure gentleman and it is just a shame I have not been able to spend more time with the man.

I could have sat many evenings discussing architecture over a bottle of red with him.  His kindness and generosity was ridiculous.  One of the great weeks of my life.

Rich Goodale for organising the first Ryder Cup in Dornoch.  another great weekend that again will never be forgotten.  An unsung hero.

Brian.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Michael Moore

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2005, 11:10:36 AM »
Sweeney always treats his chauffeur to dinner.

Also, he only ever takes me to those places where cash is no good and you sign for stuff . . . they even itemized the hole-in-one tab so that I could weasel out if it on my own . . . perhaps this is a possible solution our current troubles . . .
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Lou_Duran

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2005, 11:14:43 AM »
Here I sit, teary-eyed.  And who ever said that Barney was an ogre?  He is just like Rush Limbaugh, a soft puff-ball.

Brian Gracely, please put me on the waiting list for the fourth spot.  You may wish to recall my generosity during our one and only match, at Rustic Canyon.  BTW, you have a very nice brother.  

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2005, 11:17:16 AM »
One of my buddies took me on his private jet to the Masters for 4 days, including a house and staff to cook meals.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

John_Cullum

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2005, 11:55:04 AM »
Cary

Just let me know if I can help you with access in St. Louis.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2005, 11:58:03 AM »
I've received a very nice item, such as the 100-year club history book of a well-known club, signed personally to me by the co-author, but there are other, smaller gestures, that are actually big gestures.

Such as two guys who either had to back out at the last minute of a round or was going to be late as something came up at work, and called a friend to play with me (one was until said guy could show up by hole #14).  One friend who met me was another GCAer who had recently joined the club.  Actually, that's four guys who did a nice gesture.

Then there's the guy who brought a few beers with him for post-round quaffs in the parking lot as he knew the place was "dry" (that narrows down where and whom I'm talking about!  ;)).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 11:59:00 AM by Scott_Burroughs »

George Pazin

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2005, 12:01:48 PM »
The amazing thing to me is how people on this site do things simply because we all share a similar passion.

For instance, Geoff Childs took the time to not only send me a copy of the Yale yardage guide, he actually wrote in notes about the course on it, things that were not readily apparent on paper.

I have also received many warm letters from contributors when I did the t shirt fundraiser thing. I've even received a Christmas card or two.

Redanman once said, "I've never met a stiff who was into architecture," or something to that effect. Very wise and true words.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

kgrace

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2005, 09:55:00 PM »
Joe P's Scotch was outstanding - Thanks Joe. It allowed me to sleep comfortably on my couch  - why sleep in the bed when you can sleep fully clothed on the couch?

Also, RE Blanks was a great host at Athens CC for our 4 some.

Kevin

Ken Fry

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2005, 10:37:19 PM »
Out of the blue I contacted someone working on a new course because I knew I'd be rolling through town.  He didn't know me from a hole in the wall but proceeded to give me a two hour tour of a beautiful work in progress.

Joe Hancock, I hope Mike DeVries didn't give you too hard of a time for chaufering me around for an afternoon and keeping you from your work!!

Ken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back