News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

San Antonio Courses
« on: January 12, 2005, 12:15:23 PM »
This was my review in 2003 after two trips to San Antonio for a friend that was considering travelling there.  I thought I would post it for what it is worth.  The prices are probably out of date.

For me the two pleasant surprises were Pecan Valley which I liked more than I expected but I have heard has not been kept in good shape since that time and the Bandit, which I really enjoyed.  The negative surprise was the Quarry, which I particularly thought was a let down given that I really enjoy the Harvester by Keith Foster in Iowa.

High Priced:

The Quarry ($125) - Great condition, front nine is mediocre, the back nine has some cool holes.  I thought it was overpriced for the course.  A friend loves the course and says we erred by not playing the back tees (6700 - back tees, 6100 - white tees)

Las Cantera ($140) - They have two courses - we played the Palmer couse which I enjoyed.  It is hilly and difficult.  The greens were extremely sloped, hard and fast.  The Palmer course is the better of the two.  

Pecan Valley ($115 first round, $15 - second round) - My favorite course out there.  You can get a lower price by waiting to make a tee time.  It is a difficult, Midwestern style course with small raised greens.  It hosted the PGA in the 60's and the US Publinx a couple of years ago.  There are placques all over the course indicating where historical events occurred such as Arnold Palmer getting it out of the trees to win the Texas Open one year.

Hyatt Hill Country Resort course.  (APPROX. $120) It was in pretty good shape with nice greens.  I wouldn't spend a ton to play the course but would play it at a twilight rate.  It was a nice place to stay but probably 45 minutes from downtown.

Lower Priced:

If you are able to travel outside of town, you can save significant money and play some very good courses.  We played two, and I would recommend them both:

The Golf Club of Texas - ($50 first round, lower for 2nd round). Relatively basic course about 45 minutes out of town.  Fast, bent greens and in decent shape.  The back nine goes through some scrub brush and contains more interesting holes.

The Bandit ($40) - Great course North of the city and definitely the best bargain of the courses we played.  It will be a part of a housing development but there aren't many homes on the course yet.  It would be my first choice taking money into account.

Historical Value

Brackenridge Park ($20)

We didn't play this but I wish we would have.  It was designed by AW Tillinghast and Ben Hogan played his first professional tournament here.  By all accounts it is pretty ragged now, but, given the price and the history, I would have liked to have seen it.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 10:28:43 AM by Jason Topp »

Bill_McBride

Re:San Antonio Courses
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 05:08:59 PM »
Jason, when I played The Bandit (which I also liked, mostly good holes on slightly uninteresting terrain), there was a par 3 which was named "Redan" on the card.  Don't know if you noticed this but I couldn't see anything even remotely Redan-ish about that hole!  No right to left slope, no front bunker, no rear bunker with fall away green!  Wonder what the marketing geniuses at The Bandit were thinking?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 05:28:02 PM »
I tend to agree with you conclusions. I liked both courses at La Canterra.

Steve Lang

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 05:57:57 PM »
 8)

Los Colinas in Iriving area..

All those prices seem higher than what I remember 2 years ago..

La Cantera is home of Texas Open, Weiskopf/Morrish course.. it has shotmaking and wide open holes galore, but for pure fun I like the Palmer Course for more exagerated challenges..

Pecan Valley (original J. Press Maxwell design, restored by Bob Cupp and $5.5 MM) can stress you out if you can't control your shots or hit it long.. it was 1968 PGA , 2001 AmPublinx..

The Bandit is good warmup or cooldown course..

Canyon Springs in SA and Tapatio Springs in Boerne can be fun also, but I haven't seen them since 2000..
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 05:59:22 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tom Renli

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 10:54:46 PM »
What is the conditioning like at Pecan Valley?  I have heard it was really bad at one point.  The green fee seems to have risen very fast - related to improved conditioning?  Other reasons?

Mike Hendren

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 11:47:23 PM »
Is Souchak's 27 on the back-nine of Brackenridge Park in the 1955 Texas Open still the tour record.?  Out in 33 for a 60.  

"The point is no doubt self-evident:  you cannot handle a circuit course any better than Mike Souchak did that morning, but circuit golf has become a different kind of game than golf used to be.  Essentially it is, as it has often been described, a game of three clubs - the driver, the wedge, and the putter."

-Herbert Warren Wind
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

texsport

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 10:18:12 AM »
Steve
       I've always felt that La Cantera was a strange mix of very easy and very difficult holes. I like the Palmer course a lot better as well.

John

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 10:55:51 AM »
The newish Fazio course called Briggs Ranch, is one to add to the list.
My friend Bill Rogers, of British Open fame is co owner..a typical Fazio course, fun to play..some good some poor holes, but overalll a good golfing experience.
I am not a huge Fazio fan, but not one of those Fazio bashers either..I just like golf courses that I enjoy playing, and I enjoyed Briggs Ranch more than Dallas National, which has had some good reviews on this site.
Very private in theory, but if anybody is going down there, let me know and I can take care of a starting time.
The finest practice facility I have ever seen...and I love to practice!!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back