News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

GA State Parks Courses
« on: November 18, 2004, 10:02:08 PM »
Who has played any or all of these?  I would love to hear some feedback on them as I have contemplated many of them often, but until yesterday had not actually made it to any of them.

As I was driving down I85 yesterday PM, I couldnt resist the gorgeous afternoon and stopped out to Highlands Walk @ Victoria Bryant S.P. Dennis Griffiths added 9 more holes (18 total now) and redid it in 2002 (or thereabouts)  It was a pleasent course that had some different holes, and some good ones too.  The conditions were firm and fast and you could (and should) play some run up shots onto some of the greens.  Nothing to go too far out of your way for, but fortunately if you are heading up I85 from ATL it isnt that far out of your way

However what prompted me to post this thread is that after my round as I was killing some time on the phone and driving, I drove out to the GA S.P.'s newest facility Arrowhead Point @ Richard B. Russell S.P. (Near Elberton, GA)  Now this place is a little off the beaten path, but is an absolutely spectacular piece of property and routing.  As only a S.P. can afford to do they routed no fewer than 7-8 holes around or immediately on/over the lake (Lake Richard B Russell)  Which I heard is a Corp of Engineers lake and from what I saw didnt have a house anywhere in sight it was pristine and spectacular.

Anyone else been there yet, it opened in July I think.

I have a couple pics and will hopefully post a couple when I finally get my laptop back.  Monday I hope.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 10:21:48 PM by Daryl K. Boe »
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Michael Whitaker

Re:GA State Parks Courses
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 11:09:34 PM »
Daryl - I played Arrowhead Point in the Richard B Russell State Park last weekend. It is an outstanding course. The front nine is fairly pedestrian, but the back comes alive with numerous holes on the lake. Several play out one side of a narrow point and back the other side... you are literally surrounded by water for four or five holes. It is one of the most stunning places I have ever seen. There is no development on Lake Russell, so the shoreline is pristine and about as beautiful as it gets.

How much did all this beauty cost on a Saturday morning? $42.

No one seemed to know who designed the course. They thought it might be someone who used to work with Seay/Palmer. Did you get any details?

Also, they have about twenty or so cabins available for rent. All overlook the lake, sleep four with two bedrooms and two baths... very nice. Cost? $95 per night! We are thinking about planning a long weekend trip to RBR - staying in the cabins, alternating between Arrowhead Point and Cateechee (which is about 12 miles away)... grilling steaks one night, eating at Cateechee the next. Now, that's what I'm talking about!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 11:47:50 PM »
Wow that sounds great, I didnt know about the cabins, etc.  

Yes I was told that it was one of the guys that used to be with Palmers group.  I wrote it down but it is in the car, I think the name was Bob Walker.

I didnt have enought daylight to play, but just took a cart and rode all 18.  I was quite impressed. And as you said $47 peak price on weekend you cant beat it.

Why no development on RBR allowed?  Keowee is a Corp of Engineers lake with a Nuc plant as well, and it is loaded with houses.  Is it just RBR's seclusion?  I imagine it has to not be allowed at all or there would be some houses somewhere.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 12:21:53 AM »
Daryl - They have a 200 YARD setback from the shoreline that is inforced by the Corp of Engineers. I was told that numerous developers are trying to get the restrictions changed so they can cash in. I hope it never changes.

You are correct about Bob Walker. I just found the RBR website and it lists him as the architect.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Keith Williams

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 10:40:40 AM »
Turboe,

From what I have heard, the Ga. state park system has a couple of very good courses on their hands.  Not only have I heard good things about the new RBR, but I have also heard that Lake Blackshear and Laura S. Walker are great courses and that George T. Bagby is even better and truly qualifies as a hidden gem.  The prices are great, but the only drawback is their distance from metropolitan areas.

Keith.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 10:42:27 AM »
I've heard good things about the course; in general, the state park courses are just a great value, and I'm looking forward to playing the Elberton course.

Ga. Veterans in Cordele (near Callaway Gardens) is another Denis Griffith design, and very good.  The course at Little Ocmulgee in McRae is a lot of fun as well.

Don't forget Jekyll Island in the mix of GA state park courses.  Tremendous value for the golf dollar.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back