News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy_Naccarato

Tom Doak's Stone Eagle Pics
« on: November 07, 2004, 11:22:25 PM »
Courtesy of Yancey Beamer who visited the site last Friday.

Brian Slawnick shaping out 17th green

Tom Doak & Eric Iverson looking at 15th green.

Tom Doak, Eric Iverson, Ted Lennon & Tom Cullinon

Doak selecting tee site for 1st tee.

#1 Tee to green. Par 4

#19 tee to green. 200 yards, Par 3

#18 Green to tee. 490 Yards, Par 4

#14 Center of fairway to green. Ravine divides fairway at 300 yards, 430 Yards, Par 4

Path to 13th tee

#12 Green 150 Yards, Par 3

#11 Green, looking uphill

#15 200 yards, Par 3

#11 400 Yards, Par 4

#17 510 Yards, Par 5 Green shaping--Brian Slawnik on dozer

#10 380 Yard, Par 4--Green at back fence

#9 Green site

#9 Back Tees--Green at the rear of the rock pile

#8 Green Detail

Dogleg-bunkers detail, Tom Doak & Eric Iverson

#6 Par 4, 330 yards

#8 Par 5, 520 Double dog leg

#3 Green, Tom Doak Inspects

« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 11:15:20 AM by Tommy_Naccarato »

Yancey_Beamer

Re:Tom Doak's Stone Eagle Pics
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 11:27:14 PM »
Thanks to Tommy for his contribution of supreme electronic genius.Hail to the emperor!
Yancey

Jack_Marr

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 03:10:32 AM »
Have you played it yet, Tommy? Can you ground your club anywhere?
John Marr(inan)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 09:03:09 AM »
Tommy:

Thanks for posting these, although you should correct the spelling of Brian Slawnik's name [there's no 'c'].

The photos are excellent in showing the starkness of the landscape, but I think it's pretty difficult to capture the scale of the place.  It's quite a site, and the progress so far is beyond my expectations ... we've built some of the "duller" holes first and they are sensational.

I'm headed back to Sebonack next week, and now I can forget about having to compare it to Shinnecock and National.  If it doesn't turn out as good as Stone Eagle, the client and co-designer aren't going to be too happy, but I'm sure it's going to be a fight to the finish.

Michael Moore

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 09:13:35 AM »
Where is Stone Eagle?
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 09:24:45 AM »
It's in Palm Desert, California ... on the right a mile or two outside town on Route 74, closer in [and higher up] than Bighorn.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 09:49:48 AM »
Thanks for sharing; it is pretty impressive to view that land a picture a golf course. I can't wait to see the finished product and compare to these photos.
Mr Hurricane

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 11:12:37 AM »
Jack,
The bunker off of the 8th tee, which is shown in the pictures is close enough for playing right now! (Well if I don't want to break a wrist, he'll have to put some sand in it!)

The hazard is HUGE. And its deep too!

I'm hoping for a Rennaissance Cup here. But given that its going to be extremely private, I'll just be glad to see the place as it evolves into a golf course. Its by far the most extreme site I have ever seen being constructed.

Tom, Yancey had it spelled right too! My mistake here, and I do in fact know how he spells his name!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 11:17:12 AM by Tommy_Naccarato »

McCloskey

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 03:40:18 PM »
"I'm headed back to Sebonack next week, and now I can forget about having to compare it to Shinnecock and National.  If it doesn't turn out as good as Stone Eagle, the client and co-designer aren't going to be too happy, but I'm sure it's going to be a fight to the finish."  

TD
The pictures of Stone Eagle looked very dramatic.   I was intrigued by your above statement.  I don't know that I fully comprehend what you were trying to say or not say about Seboneck, the client, or your co-designer.   Would you further elaborate for all of us that are interested in what is happening at Seboneck?  Thank you and best wishes on both new courses.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 04:03:53 PM »
The pictures remind me a great deal of the desert course I worked on in Henderson, NV....Dragon Ridge.

I do not envy those blokes out there who are going to build that sucker.  Those rocks are terrible.  Clearing is brutal.  Imagine trying to scoot a basketball along the ground from the seat of your big dozer.  This is what is required to clear the playing corridors in order to prep for turf.  

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Doug Siebert

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 05:08:38 PM »
Seeing pictures like that always amazes me.  I don't see golf holes there, I just see hills and rocks.

What would be really cool if you took GPS waypoints with all those pictures, so you could do some exact before and after pictures in a year!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2004, 05:20:29 PM »
Look harder ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2004, 08:18:35 PM »
Looks like a great site.

I hope those who have critized Black Mesa, Black Rock and Sanctuary will compare what Tom Doak does here, and perhaps, just perhaps, they will expand their horizons on just what is excellent architecture.

Perhaps Tom will do even better, and if he does, I will be the first to say so.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back