News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

British Courses 44
« on: November 06, 2004, 12:19:36 PM »
Ganton

Is this Britain's finest inland course?  Let's just say that it is the only inland course to have hosted the Amateur Championship, which it has done on three occasions.  It has also hosted the Ryder Cup, Curtis Cup and Walker Cup and a host of other championships for men and women.  You'll find it on the A64 about 12 miles inland of Scarborough in the gentle agricultural lands of the Vale of Pickering.  Many thousands of years ago this was an inlet of the sea which explains the unexpected sandy subsoil with its uncanny ability to support the growth of something very close to linksland turf and its associated rough grasses and gorse in profusion.

The club was founded in 1891 and since then an extraordinary assortment of architects has worked on the course.  Tom Chisholm of St Andrews and R. Bird the club's first professional laid out the original course.  Subsequent alterations were made by Harry Vardon (Club Professional 1896-1903), Ted Ray, JH Taylor, James Braid, Harry Colt, Alister Mackenzie, C.K. Cotton and Frank Pennink.  I've been told that others too have worked there, making a dozen or even a baker's dozen of designers.  For such events as the Walker Cup the course plays to 6884 yards with a par of 71.  Members play it at 6734 yards with a par of 73.  This is accounted for by the 6th, a 449-yard par 5 for the members but a 470-yard par 4 for the big guys.  Similarly, the 17th is a 252-yard par 4 for the members as against the championship rating of 248 yards par 3.  I'll quote the members' yardages.

I have been lucky enough to have played here many times.  It has always been a joy, on and off the course.  The staff are wonderfully friendly and helpful and the members welcome you to their course with justified pride in it but also pleasure that you are able to share the experience with them.  Most of the photos date from 2001 but some were taken back in the early 80s.

As usual, to avoid having to type the whole thing again, I'll split it into a number of separate postings.

1st, 373 yards par 4.  A lovely introduction, sweeping gently uphill where the fairway bends slightly right and runs down to the green, calling for a running pitch.  There was an appreciative cheer from the British spectators at the Walker Cup when one of the Americans played a true seaside pitch-and-run here last summer.

3rd, 334 yards par 4.  One of my favourite short par 4s.  There's a monster bunker crossing the fairway on the diagonal 231 yards out and another trench on the right 43 yards from the green, where I am standing.  My son has driven the greenside bunker, the blighter! (From the yellow tee, it must be said, 287 yards).

3rd.  The tee is back in the trees more or less directly behind the flag and there's a substantial carry over gorse.

4th, 406 yards par 4.  The 4th was one of Colt's creations, a glorious hole played to a descending fairway which narrows where a ditch cuts in from the right where that thorn tree stands.  The fairway then rises significantly to a green on high ground with a big bunker running almost the length of the putting surface on the right.

5th, 157 yards par 3.  The gorse has been cut back and lowered a bit since first I played here and you can see rather more of the hazards around the little circular green, a big bunker front left, a little one through the back and a huge one encircling (semicircling?) the whole of the right side of the putting surface.

5th.  This pond should be no part of play on the 5th.  You drive over it from the 6th tee.  Again it shouldn't enter play, but just the fact that it is there....

6th, 449 yards par 5.  One of my favourite holes on the course, this is actually wide open but the gap in the trees behind the green gives the impression of playing down a tunnel.  In a sense you are because the fairway is not wide, the rough on the left is paricularly ferocious and there are bunkers all over the place.  

6th, looking back down the fairway from the 7th tee.

6th, similar view.  Just look at that rough!

More to follow....

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:British Courses 44
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 12:40:28 PM »
Ganton Part 2

7th, 435 yards par 4.  Another first-rate hole with a complicated drive past a bunker on the left and four on the right just where the fairway begins to swing to the right about 230 yards out.  The green is slightly raised.  There's a sandy cavern 56 yards short of the green in the middle of the fairway, bunkers narrowing the entrance to the green on both sides, and a cavernous pit further to the left.

7th.  Giles holed this for a five (he was in the rough well short in two on the previous picture).  It kick-started his round and he went round in a gross 81 which was not bad as his handicap was 10 at the time.  The other golfer in the photograph was an executive of Microsoft having a golfing holiday in the UK.  The Caddy-Master asked us if we'd mind his joining us.  Of course we didn't - until he turned up with a Caddy.  'He must be good,' we thought.  He was probably on his 13th ball by this point in the round!  Our fears did not last.  He was very pleasant company, however.

8th, 392 yards par 4.  This ought to be one of the easier holes on the course for even golfers of my limited ability should drive past the fairway bunkers (especially from the yellow tees).  Then it is plain sailing with a green perfectly open at the front, the bunkers either side quite widely set.  How often does a running pitch deviate to left or right, trickle into one of the bunkers and prove very difficult to get out!  

9th, 504 yards par 5.  Every time I visit Ganton I observe that the fairway is getting narrower and narrower.  It's not true, but that is the impression as you stand on the tee aiming at a fairway curving to the left with trees on both sides.  Assuming a successful drive, your second shot ends up about here, short of this bunker in my case but at a very awkward range for the good player.  

9th green.

11th, 417 yards par 4.  After the short and tricky 10th, played to a low green in a wooded corner, the 11th bursts out onto the heath again.  The drive must avoid two earnest bunkers on the right and there can be dreadful lies in the bumpy rough on that side, too.  A line of big bunkers crosses the fairway about 100 yards from the green (still affecting my second shot) but the real skill for the good player is landing short of this green and letting it run on without deviating into either of the wing bunkers.

More coming up....

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 01:01:36 PM »
Ganton Part 3

13th, 499 yards par 5.  This is an exercise in straightness.  The drive is made over acres of gorse to a fairway lined with bunkers, 13 of them down either side.  Watching here during the Walker Cup I saw most players easily in range of two shots (they played it at 524 yards) yet the approach proved tricky.  Many came up short despite the fact that the fairway is descending gently towards the green. Many trickled into the bunker front right of the green (some failing to get out at the first attempt).  Others rolled right to the back of the green.  I never saw anyone manage to leave their second shot within range of a likely eagle.  Again the green is wide open at the front, yet it contrives to deceive.

15th, 437 yards par 4.  Another memorable hole with a tough drive for the likes of me, threatened with a 50-yard coffin bunker in the middle of the fairway.  It should not be of consequence to a good player.  The main difficulty is getting on to the green with the second shot.  It appears to be wide open, but there are bunkers on either side and there's a slight rise up to the putting surface.  Anything approaching weakly is deflected to the side and into one or other bunker.  Giles made his 4!

15th.  You can just make out the way the green continues to rise in waves from front to back.  Crosshill putts can swing a long way.

16th, 448 yards par 4.  You can see the top of the gigantic bunker crossing the fairway.  It is probably no more than 175 yards out and should no longer be a factor in play.  More important is to keep well to the right of the trees on the left of the fairway which can cut out many a second shot.

16th.  FBD, please note that I threw the ball into this bunker for the purposes of a photo!

16th, from behind.  This is not a green to overshoot.

16th.  These bunkers are so typical of the many that litter the course, lurking to catch the shot that is almost good enough but not quite.

17th, 252 yards par 4.  A unique hole in my experience.  The drive is made over the entrance road, across nasty rough and two big bunkers if you intend to lay up on a little island of fairway before pitching up to the hill-top green.  If you are intent on driving the green (and you must if you play it as a par 3) then there are further bunkers, especially a couple of menacing ones short right of the putting surface.  The ground rises quite steeply to the green and any weak shot is repulsed.  There are some dreadful spots off this green if your approach is so repulsed.

No picture of 18, I'm afraid (and one or two others, to boot).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 01:12:07 PM by Mark_Rowlinson »

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 09:01:02 PM »
Mark-

I have not played either Ganton or Woodhall Spa. Have you played the latter? How do the two compare in your book? Has Woodhall Spa hosted any of the major British golf events that have been held at Ganton?

DT

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 10:35:24 AM »
David,

Yes, I have played both - Ganton rather more frequently than Woodhall Spa.  I have to say that my preference is for Ganton because its challenge seems fairly evenly distributed throughout the round.  For my taste Woodhall Spa loses something from about the 13th when the holes plunge into the trees.  That said, both are fascinating courses and the bunkers are a study in themselves.  Some at Woodhall Spa are deeper than at Ganton and many are flat bottomed trenches anything up to 10 feet below the putting surface.  Woodhall Spa is somewhat longer than Ganton and it certainly feels it on its longest par 4s.  However, there are a great many similarities - fairly level ground, fast running fairways, plentiful bunkers (some of them severe around the green), lots of heather, no extreme greens but lots of subtlety, beautifully kept, a warm welcome, and even for a hacker such as I am you do feel it is fair, that you stand a chance and that if you play properly you will get round without serious mishap.  But if you start spraying the ball about you will soon be in real trouble.  

Woodhall Spa has hosted a great many important tournaments at national level but hasn't quite risen to the heights of Ganton which has hosted three international team tournaments and three Amateur Championships.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 10:35:55 AM by Mark_Rowlinson »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back