News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

The Peper Links Article / Scotland v Ireland
« on: November 03, 2004, 11:02:59 AM »
I have to say I rather enjoyed the article written by former Golf Magazine editor George Peper in the November / December issue of Links Magazine.

Usually, the primary focus of Links magazine is to be nothing more than high-end glossy spread selling big time real estate to deep pocket folks intent on second, third, or even fourth homes somewhere in the Sunbelt.

Although much of the material may be old hat to many experienced travelers here on GCA I found it refreshing that a major publication would have the author provide a clear and distinct opinion. Too many of today's top pubs are nothing more than advertorials or even worse yet -- simply pushing their own products (e.g. golf schools and the like) for purchase.

The editorial / analysis side is usually the first thing to be muzzled.

I have had the pleasure in traveling to Ireland and Scotland and concur with Peper's comments regarding the top tier courses and what country has the deeper "bench" of courses.

I would only hope more of the magazines would start to take a position that says something rather than tap dance around with all these "boy, is it wonderful type gibberish" articles that often masquerade as course analysis.

Jack_Marr

Re:The Peper Links Article / Scotland v Ireland
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 12:18:27 PM »
Very good article. I don't know which place is better for golf, but it would be no shame finishing second to Scotland.
John Marr(inan)

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 02:21:29 PM »
Matt-

If you wade thru all the promotional stuff in LINKS magazine, there are usually at least 2 or 3 worthwhile articles in every issue. The columns by George Peper, Nick Faldo and Ben Wright are usually worth reading and 'the Classic Courses of GB&I' is a feature I look forward to in each issue. The golf course photos are usually very good.  I even like the new golf equipment column.  

DT  

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 04:17:21 PM »
David:

I agree -- there are at times some interesting things within Links. I only wish in their profile on Rye they would have included some additional photos that coincide with the narrative.

But, let's be a bit fair -- the overwhelming bulk of the magazine is simply an overdose of advertorial. The Peper article is really one of the few features I've seen in the pub recently that takes a clear stand on an issue many people have likely discussed.

It would be most interesting to see if future articles of this type would be included that highlight American courses with some no holds barred analysis. However, I wonder if Links will do that given the nature of its "pro"-motional connections to real estate driven clubs throughout the USA.

Andy Hughes

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 04:26:16 PM »
Matt
No doubt, you are correct on the sheer colume of advertising in Links. But I find it to be the greatest bargain in golf (until a round at Tobacco Road drops to $12 ). I don't recall the price, but didn't I pay something silly like $7/year?  For one or two articles I enjoy, several great photos and a write-up on some classic every month, that's pretty good.
Andy
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 04:34:11 PM »
Andy:

I often view Links like some of the magazines my wife
reads -- you know, the Vogues of this world. Plenty of "easy" reading -- lots of unique and fun photos -- just little substance and depth.

Links is primarily there to advance the agenda of those advertising in the publication. There's nothing wrong with that but if anyone seriously believes you're going to get some real hard core analysis and commentary I have some quality land to sell in the Jersey meadowlands. ;D

Mark_F

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 01:22:10 AM »
Matt Ward,

Let's be fair, most of the golf magazines are filler material these days.  I think Golf Digest is the worst of the lot - does it ever have any features, or only columnists?  

And how does Dan "I'm incapable of writing a sentence without mentioning Ben Hogan in one" Jenkins still manage to get a byline?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back