News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Faldo on Ballyliffen
« on: November 05, 2004, 12:57:34 PM »
Story in the Derry Journal on Faldo's proposed changes at Ballyliffen. Here is the link:

www.derryjournal.com/story/5082

ForkaB

Re:Faldo on Ballyliffen
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 01:17:14 PM »
Thanks for that, David

I knew this was in the cards when I visited there in the Spring.  Improvements are needed as the OLld course lost a few holes and a lot of character when the Glashedy course was built.  The good news is that there is ample land to bring the Old course up to or above the (very high) standard that it was in when Faldo first visited there 11 years ago.  Also, I'm glad that Faldo will finally get a chance to show us afficionados/nitpickers that he really does "get it" (as we debated 3-4 years ago.....), and I'm very hopeful that he does.  As Ballyliffin is a regular vacation haunt for our family, I'm crossing my fingers that he can really "walk the talk" vis a vis linksland GCA!

Andy Hughes

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 01:43:36 PM »
Rich
Perhaps you know...I recall reading of an Irish island that Faldo bought that was chock full of linksland that he was going to turn into a golf course.  Has anything come of it, or is it too soon?
Andy
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

ForkaB

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 01:48:15 PM »
Andy

Last I heard (and only in the papers--I'm really not in the know) that project is still going forward, although there are some significant environmental objections.

Andy Hughes

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 02:12:50 PM »
Great, thanks Rich.
I am very curious to see how that turns out, as the pictures I had seen made the land look very impressive.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 02:29:22 PM »
This island is off the Mayo coast. I believe it's near Enniscrone. If it goes ahead, it will make the Northwest an even more attractive area for golf.

Here's an article about it:

Faldo’s plans for Bartragh Island gets a strong tourism boost

DESPITE concerns expressed by An Taisce and the Independent Farmers’ Federation Ireland-West Tourism has come out in favour of plans by international golfer, Nick Faldo to turn Bartragh Island in Killala Bay into "the best and most unique golf links in the world."
The Chairman of Ireland-West Tourism, Achill-based hotelier, Mr. Richie O’Hara, said that on his own behalf, that of his CEO, Mr. Brian Flynn and his board of directors, he wished to publicly declare support for the new golf links proposed by Mr. Faldo. Speaking to the Mayo News he said: "We, in Ireland-West Tourism, most warmly welcome the planning and development of any tourist product or facility which would be compatible with the National Development Plan and Mayo County Council’s County Development Plan and which would complement and enhance existing products and facilities in our region.

"We are concerned about public statements which decry Mr. Faldo’’s plans, statements and opinions that in our view are not fully informed and do not reflect the tourism business requirements of the region’. Earlier, Mr. Ian Lumley, heritage officer of An Taisce, said the proposed development could have a serious impact on the island’s status as an SPA, a Special Protection Area for birds. "To say the island is of ecological significance is something of an understatement. There is a serious question as to whether any development is appropriate for the island. We are already well served in terms of coastal links courses", he said.

Bartragh nestles in Killala Bay and is bordered by the world-famous Moy River. The island is regarded as one of the most unspoilt areas in the country and is made up of dunes, grazing land and extensive beaches. Environmentalists have also expressed concern that a golf course on the 357-acre island could spawn a range of ancillary developments, including a car park, a clubhouse and eventually a hotel development or a scheme of golf holiday homes. The Chairman of the Independent Farmers’ Feder-ation, Mr. Vincent Maloney, who resides in Enniscrone, across the bay from Bartragb, said the planned golf links for the island would have to be resisted with every possible commitment.

He was taken to task for his views by Ballina Cllr. Ernie Caffrey of Fine Gael who accused him of speaking for none of the farmers that he knew. Caffrey said he warmly welcomed the proposed development and was certain it would have many positive economic benefits for the North Mayo region. Mr. O’Hara of Ireland-West said it was ‘serious misin-formation’ for anybody to suggest that the region was well served in terms of coastal links golf courses. While some excellent links courses existed, golf remained an under-developed tourism product along the western seaboard.

"Ireland-West Tourism will continue to strongly support this and other proposals for the development of tourism facilities in County Mayo and in the rest of the Ireland-West region which conform with the NDP and local development plans. "Tourism is hugely important for out region and sustains many thousands of jobs, but if it is to maintain that position we must promote and support the development of more top class facilities which will further enhance our tourism product. Ireland-West is anxious to make these points, while being fully aware of the value of a pristine environment to Mayo and western tourism’ he said.

Golfer Faldo said he was fully aware of Bartragh’s ecological status and this would be taken fully into account in any development which he planned. His plans would only be finalised after the fullest consultation with Mayo County Council as the planning authority and local interest groups. The price he paid for Baruagh is not known, but the guide price quoted by Clonbur auctioneer, Helen Cassidy, was €3.5m. The island was last sold six years ago to a singer based in London’s West End who paid €300,000 for it.

John Marr(inan)

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 02:32:48 PM »
Andy-

I remember reading (maybe 6 months ago) about a dispute regarding the ownership of the island off the west coast of Ireland that Faldo wants to buy. Faldo has been negotiating to buy the island with one person or group of people, but others have claimed an ownership interest in the island and are trying to block a sale until the dispute is resolved. I have not read whether that dispute has yet been resolved.

DT

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 02:35:07 PM »
Jack Marr-

When was the article you just posted written? Do you know if the ownership status of the island has been resolved? Thanks.

DT

Andy Hughes

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2004, 02:38:57 PM »
David and Jack
Thanks for the info. Interesting stuff
(and favorite quote: "We are already well served in terms of coastal links courses"  How can they have enough?  ;))

(David, sorry for the diversion)

Bill Gayne

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2004, 02:43:54 PM »
From article above,

"Environmentalists have also expressed concern that a golf course on the 357-acre island could spawn a range of ancillary developments, including a car park, a clubhouse and eventually a hotel development or a scheme of golf holiday homes."

Seems like some environmental exaggeration. All of this in 357 acres? I understand the clubhouse and maintenance facilities and possibly a few other buildings. But a car park? It's an island so who's driving and where are they going on the 357 acres?

Eamon Lynch

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2004, 02:58:45 PM »
I understand the outstanding issues on the island course have largely been resolved. I asked Faldo about the project recently and he seems confident that a softly-softly approach will satisfy environmentalists and that major work will get underway sometime next year.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2004, 04:09:01 PM »
The article is from 2003. I think the ownership has been resolved, so just some environmental issues have to be debated. There doesn't seem to be much new news about it.
John Marr(inan)

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2004, 08:12:25 PM »
If you go to Faldo's website, I think that is nickfaldo,com, there is a story on the mystical island, including a video

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back