News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Something new for travellers at Wild Horse...O/T
« on: October 20, 2004, 11:08:09 AM »
First off, there is nothing new at Wild Horse.  It is still the same great course.  Oh, perhaps a badly needed rainy fall has the course playing at slightly less than the extreme firm and fast I have seen other fall seasons, there.  But, the fairways were as healthy as they could be, and the dwarf bluegrass is for my money the finest surface from which to strike your shots that I have found anywhere.  Wow, lofted approaches to the green actually left some 1/16 inch ball marks that actually required a slight repair ;) ;D   I can assure you all that most people would kill for the conditions I found this fall at Wild Horse, even for one week a year at most courses!

But, I found something else this trip that I highly recommend.  For us travellers that might sometimes yearn for a change of pace from the excellent beef one finds at Shores in Brady (10 miles), or the Depot in North Platte (35 miles)... there is now an excellent ITALIAN restaurant!!! :o ;D   It is "Bella Italia" in Cozad, (10miles east on hwy 30)  

The restaurant is run by an Egyptian master chef that trained in northern Italy and worked at a number of fine Italian restaurants in New York area.  The owner/chef and his dining room manager/head waitress-bartender are Mohamed and wife Becky Aboushady.  I think Becky has local ties in that region.

When I checked the place out last Friday, I was astounded at the extensive and authentic Italian cuisine menu.  One finds mostly northern Italian fare, with ample dishes from the south as well.  Great appetizers are offered too.  They could still use a better bread, and may have to make it themselves since such authentic hard crusted bread is not found in the area.  They even have a decent wine list, although I was well satisfied with a carafe of house wine.   Since I like the southern style, I had the "pasta puntanesca" which is a favorite of mine.  It was as good as I have had anywhere with great tomato product, capers, olives, hot pepper, and anchovie and well seasoned. Locals are all raving about various fish dishes sauteed in various sauces that Mohamed is preparing.  Robert Wayans the assistant at Wild Horse, who is from San Diego area and knows good fish, loves the tuna.

I was invited to the kitchen to watch Mohamed do his thing. He uses excellent product including my favorite tomato product as a base, "Alta Cucina".  He also gets fresh tomato for some salads and dishes from the giant hydroponic green houses located in Gothenburg, which are quite good all winter.  He also uses fresh basil, tyme and rosemary along with the dried oregano.

My family was for 50 years, and some still are, in the Italian restaurant biz.  I grew up around it.  I'm telling you, Mohamed is a talented chef and you shouldn't miss a chance to try his cuisine.  Unfortunately, for weekend travellers, they are not open Sunday night.  But, it is a heck of a Friday or Saturday night alternative.  Also, they have specials each day.  The prices are dirt cheap compared to what this level of cuisine would cost in a metropolitan area, just like the golf is affordably priced comparatively between the prairie and the big urban areas.

Bella Italia
114 W. 7th
Cozad, NE
308-784-3100

So there you have it... one more reason a trip to Wild Horse is one of the best values of a high quality experience you can find anywhere. 8)

If only Tommy would have been with me, we may still be there at Bella Italia playing the 37th hole of the day! :o :P  Did I tell you I am one happy and well fed little Italian-Irish golfer! ;D ;D ;D  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

THuckaby2

Re:Something new for travellers at Wild Horse...O/T
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 11:12:28 AM »
RJD:  I am a pasta puttanesca fiend. It saddens me that I see it so infrequently on the menus of Italian restaurants here in NorCal.  Oh, you can find it, but you really have to look.  I actually make a pretty mean version myself...

So of course now I know where to go if and when I get back to Nebraska.   ;D

Just wanted you to know there was another fan out there.  I also love the derivation of the name....

TH

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 11:19:59 AM »
Yeah, But did they have prairie oysters? :-*

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 11:30:47 AM »
Adam, no prairie oysters in sight.  But, I think Mohamed might have the Italian equivalent as a special sometime, Tripa... :P

Huck, my dream dinner would be a plate of "puntanesca" and a bottle of Vesuvio Rosso, shared with one Sophia Ciccalone, d' Napoli. 8) :-*
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

THuckaby2

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 11:34:50 AM »
Adam, no prairie oysters in sight.  But, I think Mohamed might have the Italian equivalent as a special sometime, Tripa... :P

Huck, my dream dinner would be a plate of "puntanesca" and a bottle of Vesuvio Rosso, shared with one Sophia Ciccalone, d' Napoli. 8) :-*

That is a damn fine dream dinner, I trust you.  I'm just gonna have to look up who the wine and woman are.

TH

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 11:36:19 AM »
The wine is generic referance to the home area.  The woman is anything but generic from the home area of Napoli.  I believe she has a stage name.... Loren or something like that... ;D

Peter Galea

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 12:03:10 PM »
"A woman's dress should be like barbed wire, it should not obstruct the view, but it should do it's job". - Sophia Loren
"chief sherpa"

THuckaby2

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 12:28:19 PM »
Aha.  Shoulda got that.  The sanctity of this dream is confirmed.

;)

Mike Benham

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 12:31:12 PM »
RJD -

Do they have spumoni ice cream?  

Having grown in an italian household, eating (mangiare is the verb and conjugate on your own) Gnocchi and Risotto Milanese, my pet peeve with Italian restruants is the lack of spumoni as a desert item ...

Yes, I also love a good panettone ...

Mike Benhamini
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 04:16:26 PM »
Dick,
The old Tommy would have loved to have been there. The new Tommy, well food is not even really thought about other then its a neccessity for sustanance.

No flour, no sugar, meals that are weighed and measured and no eating in between them.

I feel great.

Its either food or golf (life) and I chose life!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 04:17:06 PM by Tommy_Naccarato »

THuckaby2

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 04:56:51 PM »
Good for you, Thomas.  Keep it up and keep us apprised.  Looking forward to seeing the new you, a shadow of your former self, soon.

;D

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 05:34:10 PM »
Huck,
I hope to someday fit in your golf bag!

Thanks!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2004, 10:59:44 PM »
Tommy, I'll have to call you and hear from the cavallo's mouth about your successes keeping the faith of sticking to your diet goals. I sure didn't know you have attacked the beast so ferociously and I'm wishing you all the best.  

I actually heard that "La Stuzzicadente" used to enjoy a round of golf more than a plate of pasta con vongole.  So, you got that game going for you.  And, as Pete probably knows, a good wire cutters and a smile gets you more than a smile.  :o :P

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2004, 01:30:49 AM »
Dick,
I'm really feeling good, and while I'll be the first to say that a guy like me is always prone to a good fall, I have to remember that it could be my very last.

Still, I feel better then ever, and I walked around Costco yesterday for over an 1 hour and 10 minutes without sitting down or leaning against anything. (withthe exception of the shopping cart I was pushing.)  Now that may sound pretty pathetic for some, but its the depth of my illness which I have reached.

Thankfully there is a cure and its in thee process of changing my life back to one that can live happily and healthy.

Oh, and if they have Chicken or Veal Picatta with a nice healthy Antipasto, then we're there! Nothing with bread crumbs!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back