News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Galea

"A fine transition hole"
« on: September 14, 2004, 10:20:50 AM »
In Michael Moore's post on Northeast Harbor, he makes mention of a "fine transition hole." In no way do I doubt his judgement on this hole (I have never seen it), however I think the term may be an oxymoron. Usually the transition holes are dogs. They seem to be afterthoughts, and architects appear to really struggle with them. Now, not that I have played thousands of golf courses, this may be just my sophomoric opinion. Just as I think that a good set of one shotters make the golf course, these critical holes would have the same effect. Enlighten me, if you would, what are some "fine transition holes," and what makes them so?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 01:35:26 PM by Pete Galea »
"chief sherpa"

A_Clay_Man

Re:"A fine transition hole"
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 10:39:25 AM »
Pete- I didn't read MM's NE thread, but I recently used that same term to describe how well Rick Phelp's 7th and 8th holes at Devil's Thumb transitions the two distinct types of terrain the course traverses.  

I also believe I heard the term bandied about when Friar's Head was praised for how well C&C transitioned a similar situation.

Maybe it only applies to courses with names that are possesive. 8)

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 10:51:59 AM »
Friar's Head #2 is out of the dunes onto the farm, and #14 is reverse. See Ran's review: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/f2.html as Ran says it better than I can.

14 has to be one of my favorites 5's ever and it just happens to be a "transition hole"

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 11:14:19 AM »
Mike,

Seven at Friar's Head is a great par 5 too; and similar to fourteen, it also starts in the old farm field then plays back into the dunes.
jeffmingay.com

Michael Moore

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 01:09:26 PM »
Mr. Galea -

I had never even heard of a transition hole until the Friar's Head write up. Much was made of 2,7,11 and 14 - they are all great holes - 7 and 14 are two of the greatest holes you will ever see.

Now I pay a little more attention to this kind of puzzle. I think you are correct in that it is often done in a too obvious manner.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 02:14:37 PM »
What I'd like to know is why does it seem mandatory that transition holes are made in similar styles. Is a drastic change too much for our under used brains?

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 09:42:38 PM »
Due to the nature of the land (water, farms and tree holes) on the East End of Long Island, there are actually a couple of transition holes beyond FH.

The 3rd at Southampton a long 4 up a hill and down to a green starts out in the trees and finishes up in the area near Shinnecock, thus wide open holes. The 3rd and 4th @ Southampton matches up with some of its more famous neighbors.

Long Island National's 10th transitions from a wide open tee to the water holes 10-13 with a lake on the far left hand side of the 10th green.

On all of these, the architect does not force anything on you, bothe elements seem to blend.

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2004, 10:43:24 AM »
I'm pleased that this term has been used. Several years ago I heard the same term used to describe a hole that served to route the course from one "ideal" area to another "ideal" area. Thus the transition hole was the less desirable land. Later I was told that the term did not exist.Any thoughts for the proper name for such a hole?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back