News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JNC Lyon

Battle of Springfield, Massachusettes
« on: August 30, 2004, 03:54:26 PM »
In the Springfield area, there are two very fine courses: Orchards and Longmeadow. Both are Donald Ross courses recently restored by Ron Prichard. My question is: which is better? I have played Orchards, and I have wondered how Longmeadow would stack up to it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 03:54:38 PM by JNC_Lyon »
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

michael j fay

Re:Battle of Springfield, Massachusettes
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 03:59:14 PM »
JNC:

I have played both a number of times before and after restoration. I think I will have to play them both again a few times before I decide which is actually better.

MJF

John_Conley

One guy calls it a tie
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 05:15:25 PM »
Lyon:

This evaluation coming from a resident who I just asked the same question...

Neither has very good par 5s, Longmeadow is much more difficult with length presenting much of the challenge, the Orchards gets the nod for being more "fun" to play in that you can score a bit better if you execute and that it allows you to play a broader variety of clubs.

He called it a draw.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 05:18:55 PM »
As far as the Orchards par fives go, I agree that number three is not very strong. However, I believe that 9, and especially 13 and 16, are very good with the second shot hazards being well placed to require a great deal of thought.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

DTaylor18

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 07:27:33 PM »
John C., I have not played Longmeadow, but know The Orchards very well.  The person who said the ORchards does not have good par 5's is mistaken.  John L is right on the money.  #3 is a weak 5, and in my opinion, the worst hole on the golf course, although it has a good green.  #9 is an excellent par 5, especially with the new tee box put in prior to the WOmen's Open.  John C., your friend may not have played the new tee box yet, but it changes the hole dramatically and makes it a true par 5 with more strategy.  #13 is really a 4.5, it's the hardest par 4 on the golf course, although it played as a 5 for the Open.  #16 played as a par 4 in the Open, but is a par 5 for the memberhsip.  #16 is in my opinion, one of the most fun holes on the course.  it gives plenty of options and has a very fun, although difficult approach shot.  It provides very different strategy  for the low and high handicapper and both can have a good score or a disasterous score.  Without knowing Longmeadow, I have to say, with the improvement on #9 the par 5's are not weak at all, and are actually a lot of fun.  John C., hopefully you'll see them both first hand in September.   8)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back