News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

Devries restoration at Mac's Meadow Club
« on: August 26, 2004, 12:32:09 PM »
I believe most know that this project has been going on for a while, and is still a work in progress according to the website.

Here are some  images from the Devries Designs website.  I thought some of you might like to see them.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

T_MacWood

Re:Devries restoration at Mac's Meadow Club
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 01:01:59 PM »
I am impressed with Devries' efforts for historical accuracy. It would have been tempting to restore a protoypical MacKenzie bunkering, with the flashy capes and bays, but it wouldn't have been accurate.

For whatever reason (prehaps the nature of the soil) MacKenzie utilized these broken edge bunkers at Meadow Club...completely unique--as far as I'm aware--to the MacKenzie portfolio.

Larry_Keltto

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 01:05:34 PM »
I'd hate to be stuck behind the threesome -- or is it four? -- that's pictured on hole eight!

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 01:36:08 PM »
I'm fortunate to have worked with Mike in his office on some stuff relative to his work at Meadow C., and I can attest his work there is 100% faithful to historic photos of the course.

The accurate replication of those bunkers at Meadow C. is remarkable. Amazing in some cases, really. It's some of the best restoration work done in recent years, by far.

If only the club would let Mike cut trees, the "meadow" could truly be restored.
jeffmingay.com

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 01:57:02 PM »
Does Mike have (or has he had) any recent course openings? Kingsley was so universally praised on this site, I've expected to hear more about him.

Great work. For some reason, it sticks in my head as looking like photos from one of Geoff S's books.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 02:07:24 PM »
George:

Mike's new course at Marquette G&CC in the upper peninsula, Michigan will opened late summer 2005. It's called Greywalls.

He's also building a new public-access course near Grand Rapids right now, called The Mines. It probably won't open until 2006, I guess.
jeffmingay.com

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 02:10:37 PM »
George:

Mike's new course at Marquette G&CC in the upper peninsula, Michigan will opened late summer 2005. It's called Greywalls.

How long is the golf season in the U.P.?  Maybe 3 months?

Brad Swanson

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 02:39:11 PM »
Brian,
   Since I didn't see a smiley after your question, I'll assume you were being serious. ;)

I would guess that the playing season there is easily 5 months for an average year (maybe more).  My wife and I went up to backpack in the Porcupine Mountains in the UP in the fall in early October, and the weather was a little damp, but easily playable.  Its a beautiful part of the country that most folks simply don't know exists.

Cheers,
Brad Swanson

Jim Franklin

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 05:27:19 PM »
I have a client that moved to Marquette so I can't wait to see him and play Greywalls.

Pardon my ignorance, but where is the Meadow Club?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 05:27:53 PM by Jim Franklin »
Mr Hurricane

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 05:29:56 PM »
Jim,

The Meadow Club is in Fairfax (Marin County), CA. It is about 7 miles west of San Rafael.

DT

Jim Franklin

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 05:30:47 PM »
David, thank you.
Mr Hurricane

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2004, 05:43:08 PM »
The bunkers may be atypical, but the look of the holes and how they fit on the landscape is pure and beauteous MacKenzie!  I caddied there as a kid not knowing a damned thing about MacKenzie, just that the course was a whole lot more interesting than my home course.  I got a real flashback seeing that 17th hole and the hillside to the right.  You walk back to the tee from the 16th green, so the caddies give the players their drivers and then walk down by that tree and stand on the hillside to follow the tee shots.  They really should have issued hard hats to the caddies, because that spot was right in the LZ for the club's slicers!  :o

Joe Hancock

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2004, 07:20:57 PM »
Not to sidetrack, but we believe The Mines will be ready for play by mid-summer of 2005. Grassing should commence in approx. two weeks.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2004, 07:43:14 PM »
The bunkers may be atypical, but the look of the holes and how they fit on the landscape is pure and beauteous MacKenzie!  I caddied there as a kid not knowing a damned thing about MacKenzie, just that the course was a whole lot more interesting than my home course.  I got a real flashback seeing that 17th hole and the hillside to the right.  You walk back to the tee from the 16th green, so the caddies give the players their drivers and then walk down by that tree and stand on the hillside to follow the tee shots.  They really should have issued hard hats to the caddies, because that spot was right in the LZ for the club's slicers!  :o

An aside, the trees on the 17th aren't as in play as much as the picture above might lead you to believe.  Sure, it would be better if they trimmed them back a bit, but it isn't too bad.

That green is something else!  A swale not as great as 16 at Pasa, but getting from the front to the back is quite a challenge!

IMO, the only "negative" at all about Meadow Club is the wall to wall cart paths.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2004, 08:02:01 AM »
I had the great pleasure of being taken there as a guest in Jan/Feb 2003 and again Feb 2004.  The thing that particularly impressed me was the way many greens had been expanded all the way out to the bunkers and that there were huge aprons on many holes.  I don't know whether any of the greens had changed contours but they all seemed to be good for at least 3 putts a hole this last time!  

Will E

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2004, 08:19:44 AM »
Why on earth would you use old pictures to restore the bunkers?
Sincerely,
The University of Michigan restoration crew
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 09:38:13 PM by Shooter »

SPDB

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2004, 08:24:20 AM »
Is it me or do these bunkers bear more than a passing resemblance to ones found both North and South of Ardmore Avenue (and East of Golf House Road)?

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2004, 09:40:09 AM »
Are those rock out-croppings to the right of 18?

If so, Da mayor may need to take notice.

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2004, 09:43:22 AM »
Are those rock out-croppings to the right of 18?

If so, Da mayor may need to take notice.

Appears to be some outcroppings on #8 (to the left) as well.

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2004, 10:05:30 AM »
Michael et al,

Thanks for the interest.  I just got back from Meadow last night, where we finished up the work for this year.  Next year, we have holes 7, 13, and 15 to complete the course.  After that, I hope to look more closely at adding some additional tee options that have been postponed these past few years and work on the trees (not an easy subject at any club!).

As noted above, the bunker aesthetic is quite different from other MacKenzie work -- I don't know why it is, but we are very accurate in our renditions from the photos we have.  The green contours are as they were in 1927, all we have done is re-establish them to their original margins -- they are very fun to play.  The 3rd green, which we did earlier this year, is the only surface that had been altered over the years and we had to rebuild the entire putting surface due to agronomic reasons.

Greywalls in Marquette, MI, will be opening to limited play in October this fall and full opening in the spring of 2005.  Mines GC in Grand Rapids, MI, will open in summer of 2005, as Joe said.

Good golfing!

Mike

PS  Yes, there are rock outcroppings from small to large around the golf course.  The most prominent is the "Rock" at the beverage station in the center of the property, near the 6th and 12th greens; 7th, 13th, and 16th tees.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 11:13:25 PM by Mike_DeVries »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2004, 10:42:16 AM »
I played it last year in the early spring with a very bad back and in a negative affect state.  Though Mike's work was only about half done at that time, I thoroughly enjoyed it.  It could very well be my third favorite MacKenzie course.  In my opinion, it is the quintessential club course.  The tree overgrowth and the location of the driving range (probably shoe-horned in after the golf course was built, and with the attendant effects on a few back nine holes) were the only major negatives.  Can't wait to play it again after Mike finishes all the greens and bunkers.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back