News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Re: Spend a day getting to know Jeff Brauer...
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2009, 05:03:09 PM »
Jeff,

In Bill Kubly's "State of the Jeff" speech he says  "I told Jeff that he needed a set of plans with his name on them".....that is such a good statement....I been trying to say that at times using other words and never got it right.....there are a lot of people in this business that don't have that.
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2009, 05:12:26 PM »
Well, I don't know Jeff or his work, but I always appreciate his generosity on here. That the professionals share as much as they do and as frequently as they do, even in the face of occasional criticism (and almost never in the face of deference) continues to impress me.  So, my thanks Mr J.  From what I've read on the board about you and your courses, I think I can dub you the Steve Yzerman of golf course architects...

Peter
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 05:24:31 PM by Peter Pallotta »

mike_beene

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2009, 06:27:53 PM »
This is timely because I played Cowboys today.The greens are in much better shape and the course was soft but firmer.They have removed some trees including the big one that is in front of the 5th tee.Question:they have no stakes.What did you intend to be hazards? We have resorted to playing some of the thick woods as hazards because we are afraid to go in.The tree people said they killed 35 snakes.

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2009, 08:15:17 PM »

Jeff - my feeling is that it is really very decent of you to share your professional knowledge in such a selfless manner – I am sure many have gained benefit from your influence, myself included. The other thing that strikes me is your integrity – which was particularly evident when you were being beaten up on the asgca thread - perhaps George’s initiative will aid in quelling the bleeding  : )

Well done and thanks for the worthy presence you bring to this site.

Cheers – Lyne

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2009, 08:39:27 PM »
What I admire most about Jeff is the patience, graciousness, and tenacity that he exemplified during the Merion threads.

I look forward to playing some golf with him if he ever gets up our way. And I would love to talk Chicago golf course architecture history with him some time.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2009, 09:07:42 PM »
Jeff-

Coming to this late, sorry, been out of town...

1) What five courses would you recommend students of GCA study and why?

2) What is your favorite course in Texas?

3) Do you think when the big name Tour players move on out of design, Palmer & Nicklaus mainly, do you think their firms will be able to survive on their name/brand alone?  If not, I assume that would open up a lot of that "brand name" business to new GCAs.

4) Split 10 rounds between Shinnecock, Cypress, and Pine Valley...how would you break them out?

5) How would/do you market "brown is OK" to your client and the golfing public?

THanks in advance!

You have been very insightful,
Chip

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2009, 12:17:37 AM »
Mike B,

No stakes on what part of 5?  As to that creek in front of the tee, that was the second closest I ever came to being bitten by a snake (the closest was playing with Dana Fry and Bill Kubly at Sand Hills, when I climbed the blowout bunker on 18 to get a pic of Dana and damn near sat on a rattler) having stepped on a water moc, who was fortunately, was moving slow as winter approached.  Who says golf courses aren't good for wildlife?  And I saw a water moc on 13 near the creek the last time I played there, so your fears were well founded.

FYI, the 5th was a routing request of our original client, the owners of the nearby Hilton Hotel who started the project.  It goes through an old excavation for the nearby damn, and they found a dinosaur skeleton down there while digging it out in the 70's.  We had to fill the fw about ten feet for flood protection and also needed to create wetlands for environmental mitigation, explaining the ponds well left and right of the fw.

Lynn,

I feel like Rocky on those ASCCA threads......Adrian!  Adrian!  Don't want no rematch!

Chip,

1) What five courses would you recommend students of GCA study and why? - There are too many, but I would recommend a nice mix of old and new, probably starting with the Old Course (for sentimental reasons as much as anything) and including Royal Melbourne, Tobacco Road, and something from Pete Dye.  I think everyone ought to go play sand greens, and also a course whose recommendations are that "you could play it every day" but which doesn't fall in the top 100.

2) What is your favorite course in Texas?  Hmm, for some reason, none come to mind quickly.

3) Do you think when the big name Tour players move on out of design, Palmer & Nicklaus mainly, do you think their firms will be able to survive on their name/brand alone?  If not, I assume that would open up a lot of that "brand name" business to new GCAs.

I susepct they will do fine for a long time. I think Frank Lloyd Wright's descandant firm did well long after he died, and RTJ did well long after he retired, but not after he died, with some of the legacy passed on to his sons.  (Perhaps it ought to have passed to Roger Rulewich, but that is another topic)

4) Split 10 rounds between Shinnecock, Cypress, and Pine Valley...how would you break them out?  Gut feel and quick answer, CP 6, SH, 3, PV1.  Not any reflection of the courses, as they are all great, just a reflection of how much I enjoyed playing each one and anticpate playing again.

5) How would/do you market "brown is OK" to your client and the golfing public?

I try to limit irrigation system pumping capacity to sort of force every other day watering at most, and even less watering of rough. I also have an irrigation report where I talk about the soils, climates, etc. and try to lay out a plan for the bare minimum watering (really just above) so at least the first super has a plan to follow.  I wouldn't say I have had great success at either.....

Good questions....

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Carl Nichols

« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2009, 07:50:28 AM »
Jeff:
First of all, thanks for participating in this; your answers have been really interesting to read.  I have just one question:  Do you think that the quality of the site is the most important factor in determining whether a course is world-class?  This seems to be a view held by certain posters on here and I wonder if you agree. 

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2009, 08:01:45 AM »
Carl,

Oh absolutely.  Now, I feel I can design a really, really (insert your own number of really's here) good golf course almost anywhere but once courses like Sand Hills have been established, by default, others on lesser sites can't (or can no longer) be world class, right?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2009, 08:04:56 AM »

Jeff,

If I had known you were dying when we played last month I would have been nicer, maybe bought you a drink or something.  :'(

Hopefully you'll complete your Begay course before you pass on.  ;)

mike_beene

« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2009, 06:31:31 PM »
Jeff,I meant to say that the entire course has no stakes.I have no idea what is meant to play as a hazard,and what is not.I guess there are no hazards,but surely the lakes and creeks were meant to be.Was your thought that the left of two would be a lateral hazard?The woods are so thick we dont go in.There must have been some staked areas when the course was rated. Also,I assumed you designed the course for Jerry Jones,but your post sounds like it was for someone else originally? Did you design for bermuda greens,and do you design differently for bent v bermuda?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back