News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam_F_Collins

Articulate Architects
« on: August 16, 2004, 04:05:03 PM »
In my own design work, I find that it is very helpful to be able to articulate my design intentions, philosophies and various design decisions to the client.

For Design students, learning to share artistic ideas verbally is often one of the most difficult aspects of their education.

I find that there is a constant need to help a client understand how and why I've chosen one direction over another. This process of communication helps them to measure the value of my professional input. The more I am able to clarify that value, the more I strengthen my own business as well as the future of my field as a whole.

There are several examples of articulate architects such as MacKenzie, C.B. MacDonald, Geoffery Cornish and more recently, Tom Doak. However, do we know of any architects that had a difficult time communicating their thoughts and intentions?

Is that possible in Golf Course Architecture?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 04:06:10 PM by Adam_F_Collins »

Jeff_Brauer

Re:Articulate Architects
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 04:23:42 PM »
I could name a hundred of them, including, to a degree, me!  As you suggest, that articulation may have held back many otherwise great idea guys. It's a difference maker.

Many design profesionals (engineers are the worst, in my experience) get so caught up in their own jargon and technicalities that they don't communicate well in the clients language.  Sometimes, it goes the other way - the client just wants to know how big the green will be, and architects launch in to a soliloquy (sp) about the origins of design, without ever answering the simple question.  

Of course, I think the most successful architects are just vague and obtuse enough that NO ONE really knows what they're saying, but are afraid to ask, because it SOUNDS as impressive as hell! ::)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 04:51:20 PM »
I've learned a great lesson from Rod Whitman. Cut out the glossy bullsh*t and simply tell the truth. And, when there is no answer, don't make one up.

Early in the construction of Blackhawk GC, the developer/owner would occasionally ask about the design of a particular hole, or inquire about what was planned to happen here or there. [Keeping in mind that the design of the golf course evolved throughout construction] Rod would often answer: "I have no idea."

I'll never forget those moments! As silly as it may appear, that answer ["I have no idea."] sometimes sounds very smart, and conveys confidence.

It's an absolutely brilliant answer in some cases, in fact  8)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 05:09:21 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 05:04:15 PM »
"I have no idea".

Jeff,

That sounds much like my thoughts on some "genius" holes vs. "genius" literature.  English profs/teachers analyze to death some of the "great" works of literature, saying they know the writers' intent for this alliteration, that symbolism, blah, blah, blah.   Horsepucky.  Did the author specifically leave notes saying so?  If not, it's your opinion, and maybe I just enjoyed the story told, not the symbolism you interpreted.

The architect's intent is certainly up for analysis and interpretation, but you can't say for sure, without documentation, what the architect truly was trying to do (I'm sounding like Mucci).  Maybe it just felt right for the architect.  Maybe it's just "I know it when I see it."  Maybe it just looked the best from the topo map the architect used because he never set foot on site, but turned out great due to the view he couldn't see on paper.  Maybe #18 at Yale was the most direct route back to the clubhouse from the previous 17 great holes  ;D and a better hole just left too long a walk.... :)

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 05:11:02 PM »
Scott,

It's very easy to over-analyze golf architecture. No doubt about it. I've done it myself, only to realize later that, yes, I probably did delve too much into a non-existent strategy.
jeffmingay.com

ian

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 09:52:19 PM »
Communication doesn't have to be written, as your example suggests. Some architects use very detailed construction drawings to communicate ideas, others stick mostly to on site direction, and some others simply explain it by building it.

Everyone communicates differently through whatever medium that is most comfortable to them.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 10:30:27 PM »
For most of my consulting advice, I've relied on the written word to explain what I'm trying to do.  I think that being a good writer is an enormous help in that side of the business.  It also helps to be able to answer members' questions openly and succinctly in the right forum, including "I don't know" when appropriate.

However, most of all, what I rely on in the field is my ability to answer questions to further explain what I'm doing.  A lot of my instructions to my associates about how to contour a green are pretty vague at first ... but they ask questions about the parts they don't see for themselves, and by answering those I refine the design.  My best associates are the ones who ask the best questions.

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 10:43:22 PM »
Tom Paul to Bill Coore around 1999;

"Who's your favorite architect today?"

"A guy you've probably never heard of and may never hear of."

"Why don't you think I'll ever hear of him?"

"Because he doesn't speak in marketable sound-bites".

;)

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 09:43:37 AM »
Tom,

Let me guess who Bill was talking about  ;D
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back