News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alex_Wyatt

Greens and grass density
« on: July 26, 2004, 10:59:01 AM »
Played two courses with very old non-USGA spec greens over the weekend.  The greens at one were rolling about 9.5, the other about 7.5. The latter greens, to my untrained eye, seemed to have tremendous density of grass, making the greens almost spongy. Is it possible to have too many blades of grass per square inch, or however one might define the issue? Or am I just making stuff up, which is certainly possible.

Jeff_Brauer

Re:Greens and grass density
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 11:04:00 AM »
Spongy is usually a thatch problem in my experience, not density of grass.  It may also be a perched water table, where the density of the thatch holds water too close to the surface, but I am just guessing a bit here.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Alex_Wyatt

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 11:17:24 AM »
Jeff,

Thatch is the accumulation of dead material between the blades of living grass? Or below the top layer all together, hence creating that spongy feeling?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 11:20:24 AM by Alex_Wyatt »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 02:17:36 PM »
I've noticed the same thing with Passpallum tees, the blades are thick but I haven't seen any spongyness unless the grass gets too long.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back