News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tyler Kearns

EIGCA "Golf Architecture" Magazine
« on: August 10, 2005, 06:48:54 PM »
I have thoroughly enjoyed the great efforts of Neil Crafter & Paul Mogford as editors of the SAGCA's "Golf Architecture". Just this past June, "Golf Course Architecture" magazine in conjunction with the European Institute of Golf Course Architects was released, and I have yet to see this new publication, or heard any news regarding it's quality.

Does anybody care to weigh in on the merits of the EIGCA publication? How does it compare to the ASGCA magazine?

Thanks in advance.

TK
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 08:27:16 PM by Tyler Kearns »

Kris Kerr

Re:EIGCA "Golf Architecture" Magazine
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 07:55:02 PM »
fyi: you mean SAGCA (not ASCGA)...sorry to be pedantic with nothing to add on the quality of the EIGCA mag. Will find out but they're all asleep at the mo.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 08:27:54 PM »
Kris,

Duly noted.  :-[

TK

Kris Kerr

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 08:34:01 PM »
and to provide a potentially more useful response...you can check out the rivetting contents page:

www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

looks like it might live up to the Aussie one..and appears to be quarterly vs annual...

Andy Levett

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 03:28:25 AM »
Some info and opinions here:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=18010;start=msg334884#msg334884

I've not seen the Aussie one so can't compare but hopefully there's room for both   :)

James Edwards

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 04:25:10 AM »
I have the 1st edition of Golf Architecture and can say that Toby Ingleton has made a fine start.  I had the pleasure of playing golf with him in St.Andrews a couple of months ago on the new Course and he seems enthusiastic about the subject of Golf Architecture to say the least.  

The sponsors involved and the topics discussed already are strong - and will get stronger Im sure.

The magasine is well laid out, just like the other golf architecture which IMHO is its main strength overall.

I believe there is a long way to go to better the excellent publication which was the Journal and now is Golf Architecture, but this will be a welcome addition to the golf enthusiasts library resource.
@EDI__ADI

bodgeblack

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 07:21:09 AM »
Tyler,

The new magazine is excellant. I am not sure it is officially in conjunction with the EIGCA however the editorial panel would suggest so...

Geoff Shackleford has a nice piece and an article on short par 4's would, i'm sure, be of great interest to many on this web-site.

Kris is correct, it will be quarterly

cheers

Jamie

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 09:01:22 AM »
Anybody else?

TK

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 11:13:28 PM »
bump.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 11:44:58 PM »
I got mine today.
It looks excellent.
Looking forward to browsing for the next few weeks.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 03:41:19 AM »
Tyler, I would say that the English magazine has made a decent start, but it is quite a long way below the standard of its Australian equivalent. That should not be taken as a huge criticism because I think the Australian magazine is exceptional in terms of the quality of editorial and layout. Crudely, I would put it as a 9 out of 10, with the English as maybe a 7, with potential.

It takes time for a publication to find its voice, so it will be interesting to see how the English publication develops, and whether it goes a slightly different route from its Australian cousin.

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 03:56:37 AM »
Dr. Robin Hiseman forwarded a copy to me as I subscribed for a year, but have yet to receive a copy.  Not a good start.  I agree with Philip, this mag is not in the same league as the Oz mag, but I  am hoping it will find its feet.  

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2005, 01:08:32 PM »
Dr. Robin Hiseman forwarded a copy to me as I subscribed for a year, but have yet to receive a copy.  Not a good start.

Sean,
I'm still waiting for my copy too. (And I STILL haven't found any Nicklaus fivers yet!!!)

Cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 06:00:49 PM »
Martin

No worries about the Jack fiver, I received one a spell back.  I hope you frequent a well priced boozer if you were hoping to buy a round  for a tenner!

I received an email from Ewan Campbell today apologizing for the mix up on my magazine delivery.  What is more impressive is that HE contacted me after reading this thread.  Is that impressive or what?

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2005, 01:35:17 PM »

No worries about the Jack fiver, I received one a spell back.  I hope you frequent a well priced boozer if you were hoping to buy a round  for a tenner!

I do - it's called 'The Golf Club'!! ;)

I received an email from Ewan Campbell today apologizing for the mix up on my magazine delivery.  What is more impressive is that HE contacted me after reading this thread.  Is that impressive or what?

Hopefully he's seen my post too then....Mr Campbell, are you there?

FBD.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2005, 01:23:23 PM »
Update:

Mr Campbell has today emailed me letting me know my copy is in the mail. Great service, gentlemen. (What else would one expect from a lad wi' a guid Scots name like Ewan Campbell!?!?)

FBD.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back