News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jack_Marr

Faldo to Overhaul Ballyliffin
« on: July 12, 2004, 12:27:24 PM »
The members of Ballyliffin golf club have given the go-ahead for Nick Faldo to make some changes to the old course. It just involves upgrading the tees, putting in sand-based greens and adjusting and enhancing the bunkering.
John Marr(inan)

Tom_Doak

Re:Faldo to Overhaul Ballyliffin
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 05:55:32 PM »
???

I thought the whole golf course was sand-based.  And I didn't think the old course had any bunkers ...

Jack_Marr

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 06:07:13 PM »
Here's the article from the Irish Independent:

Faldo gets EGM approval to overhaul Ballyliffin 'Old Links'
Monday July 12th 2004
ADVERTISEMENT

BALLYLIFFIN Golf Club members have approved a Nick Faldo overhaul of their original course dubbed the 'Old Links'. The members voted in favour of the proposal at an EGM last week and work is expected to start next October.

Cost of the project is estimated to be in excess of €400,000 but the layout will not be fundamentally altered. Instead, the work will be aimed at upgrading the tees, putting in sand-based greens and adjusting and enhancing the bunkering where appropriate.

Ballyliffin's Glashedy Links, designed by Pat Ruddy and the late Tom Craddock, offers plenty of challenge at 7,250 yards off the back stakes. The Old Links, which became a favourite with Faldo when he made his first visit to Ballyliffin in 1993, has a totally different character.

It measures just over 6,000 yards and was described by the six-time Major winner as "the most natural course I have ever played".

Guy Hockley, the main architect at Faldo Design, has drawn up preliminary plans and Faldo is expected to visit the Donegal club in the next few weeks to finalise the details.

The members want to keep the Old Links as a very playable, natural course which rewards good shotmaking, and with the Glashedy on site, they have a nice balance in terms of difficulty and challenge for all handicaps.

John Marr(inan)

Sean Walsh

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 07:22:06 PM »
Tom,

According to the strokesaver I bought last year the Ballyliffin Old Links has 21 bunkers.  

Like you, by virtue of the naturally hummocky ground, I would have thought the whole of the course was sand based and would be suprised if the greens were different.  

If Faldo believes it is "the most natural course he has ever played" what is he going to change to make it more natural.  Buy a flock of sheep!!

I like the course when I played it and hope the members are doing this for the right reasons and not to appease/entice the tourists.  

Why will it cost 400,000euro to create some new tees, give the greens a facelift and enhance the bunkering.

Alarm bells are ringing....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back