News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Forrest Richardson's Feature Interview is posted
« on: June 11, 2004, 08:39:21 AM »
Our Feature Interviews on this site are typically either with architects or authors or in this case, both.

While I have never played a Forrest Richardson design, his book Routing the Golf Course was the surprise hit gift two Christmas's ago. As Forrest writes in the introduction, rarely do you hear some in the middle of a round say "Gee, the routing of this golf course is very interesting." And for the next 475 plus pages, Forrest details 'the art and science that forms the golf journey'. The type is none too big and the pages are genuinely crammed with all kinds of information, photographs, charts, diagrams, etc.

And in a tip of the hat to George C. Thomas, Forrest spends the last little bit talking about alternative games including Short Golf from Scotland and GolfCross from New Zealand where the ball goes 90% as far as a regular one, requires less mowing due to its elliptical shape, etc.

The point of mentioning this section is simply to highlight that it appears to me that Forrest has an open minded approach to golf in general - and that is something that sorely missing in this age of formuliac designs.

Cheers,

Brian Phillips

Re:Forrest Richardson's Feature Interview is posted
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 09:04:19 AM »
I have never met Forrest but he is yet another of those guys from the ASGCA that has influenced me and my thoughts about the business (in a positive way).  

His book is fantastic and is now full of pencil marks and is very worn.  It sits along those classics such as The Links, Architecture in America and The Anatomy of a Golf Course.  I refer to it often.

He always makes me chuckle when he replies to my e-mails as they are usually pretty short but always answer the question to the point!!

I look forward to sharing a beer with him one day discussing the ins and outs of design.  

Thanks for the book and this interview Forrest.

Brian Phillips.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 09:54:39 AM »
Well done, indeed!

I have golfed a FR design, and I have golfed a A.J.S. design.

Here in the four corner's Jack Snyder's name must've been as "hot" as Fazio's in the 90's.

Forrest, I know he did Civitan, but if it's at all possible, could you ask him if he knows anything about the faces at Riverview?If I had to guess, I'd say he did those too. The year was 54',for Riverview(el paso gas co.), and 60' for Civitan. What's even odder is that the Country Club' s green have the same feel, too. Any chance he did them also?

Fownes' caddie, fascinating!

thanx

« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 10:02:37 AM by Adam Clayman »

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 10:54:52 AM »
Terrific interview, one of the best yet. Thank you Forrest for providing answers that were both thought provoking and entertaining. Building a miniature course and printing up scorecards, etc., as a kid has to be one of the cooler things I've heard.

One of my college professors told me the secret of his own success: he found a job that was his hobby, his passion. Nice to see that Forrest is cut in the same mold.

Any chance you could share info on the Mexico project as it develops? Maybe a routing plan or some more photos? The photos in the interview look promising.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike Hendren

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 11:01:32 AM »
The failure to quiz Forrest regarding Foulpoint and his abrupt cessation of the saga of Mutan et al must rank as one of the most disappointing oversights in Feature Interview history - a pick-up double-bogey for you, Ran. ;)

Mike  
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

ForkaB

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 11:16:51 AM »
Good stuff, Forrest.

Ran also let the heretic yet truthful "All holes are strategic..." slip though.  Out Most Beloved Leader much be getting soft in his old age.........

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2004, 04:22:26 PM »
Adam — Jack Snyder had nothing to do with Riverview, but if you enjoy the bunkers I'm sure he will take credit! The course may have been built by Henry Shelton, a longtime friend of Jack's and a builder active in the late 50s through the 70s. I do not know about this.

His work in your area (within a day's drive) includes Civitan (Farmington), Scott Park (Silver City, NM), Blue Mountain Meadows (Monticello, UT — Now site of The Hideout), Arroyo del Oso (Albuquerque), Puerto del Sol (Albuquerque), Quail Run (Santa Fe), Concho Valley (Concho, AZ), and Show Low CC (North 9; Show Low, AZ)
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2004, 04:26:39 PM »
George — I'll share work on the Mexico project, sure. Better yet, driving there in a 7-passenger vehicle alone makes little sense. If you want, find a few guys and we can meet in Phoenix for a 2-day trip to hike around the sand dunes and work with Tim Taynor, our shaper. Tim will be spending loads of time in the next 2-3 weeks on the dunes holes (Nos. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 14, 15, 17 and 18 — and our bonus hole, No. 19).

I'll get with Tommy "Knows How to Post Photos" Naccarato and try and manage a decent thread with more photos. Maybe even a few mineature golf photos (how embarrassing)!
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Paul_Daley

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 07:27:33 AM »
Forrest: well done "Old Bean" on the Interview - I can say that because age-wise ... I'm six months shy.  ;D

Your affection for Jack Snyder as mentor and friend comes through load and clear.

I'm sure the GCA crew will enjoy reading your essay in "Favourite Holes by Design" coming out shortly. Your 1957 David Gill hole-nomination will be of interest, namely, being the only hole featured in the book with the distinction of being extinct!

The Mexico terrain looks super.

Cheers

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2004, 03:02:54 PM »
Forrest, when are you thinking about this Mexico trip?  Sounds like fun.  How far will you be from Rosarita Beach, home of Senor Frog's?  Will physical labor be required?

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2004, 07:09:01 PM »
Bill,

My current plan — if anyone wants — is to meet in Phoenix on 7-2 and drive down that aftrenoon. Return on the afternoon of the 3rd so we can all get someplace for July 4th. I recall Sr. Frog's, but it is a hazy recollection.

Puerto Peñasco is 3.5 hours drive south of Phoenix — on the eastern coast of the Sea of Cortez.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Lou_Duran

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2004, 10:09:48 AM »
Forrest,

What is the source of irrigation water for the Mexico course?  In such an arid climate, if stored in ponds, do you not loose much of it to evaporation?  What is your target market and how many rounds are projected?

BTW, is the Sea of Cortez ok for swimming?  I heard that some of the resorts around Los Cabos do not recommend or allow swimming in the sea because of currents.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2004, 10:26:37 AM »
Steinbeck's wonderful "Log of the Voyage to the Sea of Cortez" is mandatory reading for such a trip.  Forrest, wish I could make it, sounds great.

Is the course going to be private / daily fee / resort?  That is a pretty remote area, should be interesting.  A West Coast friend went down to that approximate area north of Cabo on a camping trip late Spring and had a great time.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2004, 10:37:52 AM »
Bill, it's now daily fee — probably private in about 3 years. I just received a copy of Steinbeck's log book from Amazon — I'm looking forward to the read.

Here's the website:

http://www.lpsgc.com

- - -

Irrigation water = Effluent (treated sewage from a plant we have built to US standards)

Evaporation = On a hot day, maybe .25-In. (about 1/4 acre foot total for our lakes)

Target market = Visitors (Americans) and Condo purchasers — there are 3,000 condos currently under construction along Sandy Beach, a 5-mile long white sand beach — the build out for Sandy Beach is as many as 25,000 — The only other completed golf is Laguna del Mar, a 9-hole Nicklaus about 5 miles north; the Mayan Palace has another Nicklaus under construction, primarily for their hotel/resort guests

How many rounds are projected = 20,000 first year, escalating to as many as possible

Is the Sea of Cortez ok for swimming?  Yes. There are few currents near shore at Sandy Beach — Peñasco is well north of Cabo, and on the east coast of the Sea of Cortez — it's gentle

« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 10:42:15 AM by Forrest Richardson »
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back