News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

The Weiskopf interview / Golf Magazine
« on: June 15, 2004, 06:19:44 PM »
I urge anyone with the July Golf Magazine issue to read Peter Kessler's interview with Tom Weiskopf.

Very frank and very much in detail.

One of the best comments by Weiskopf deals with Augusta National ....

"If they make any more changes to Augusta it's likely to be eligible for Best New Course."  ;D

I paraphrased the quote but it's accurate for its intent and humor.

Good stuff indeed ...

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:The Weiskopf interview / Golf Magazine
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 06:26:14 PM »
Matt,
Did he happen to mention any tips on how to get into a fellow competitors mind by threatening him or how to best feel comfortable in a straight jacket?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 06:28:54 PM »
Tommy:

Ease off brother on Mr. Weiskopf -- he comes clean on his shortcomings on a range of subjects from drinking to wasted opportunities on the course.

I have ambivalent feelings on Mr. Weiskopf but I can remember watching him play and just marvel at that glorious swing. I salute him for being candid and hope we is indeed a reformed person both on and off the course.

Ah -- what might have been ...

JDoyle

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 06:32:32 PM »
Matt,

I also just finished the article....very interesting and some honest comments from Tom.  He is a player I never saw much of....just a little before my time.  What was he like as a player/person?

Was he a better player or course designer?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 06:46:58 PM »
Jonathan:

My first contact in meeting Tom Weiskopf came as a young teen when the PGA visited Upper Montclair CC in Clifton, NJ when they used to host the former Thunderbird Classic and later the '70 Dow Jones Open -- the richest first prize at that time ($60,000) and won by Bobby Nichols.

I was simply awed by the nature of Weiskopf's powerful but elegant swing. When people talk about the Big Easy Ernie Els today you are seeing only a small portion of the complete command that Weiskopf had at his disposal.

The lone issue?

Weiskopf had a tough time with the Nicklaus comparisons and his head was far behind the physical skills he possessed. Tom could be moody and petulant.

Clearly, 1973 was a breakout year for Big Tom and I think that if he had garnered one US Open -- he had big time chances at the '76 event won by Jerry Pate and the '77 event won by Hale Irwin, to name just two. Let's also not forget the repeated failures at the Masters --  will always remember the big time tee shot and approach he hit on #18 in the final round -- how that birdie putt stayed out still amazes me.

Weiskopf was simple a perfectionist and incapable in being able to deal with the different bounces that always arise on a golf course. I completely concur with Kessler's opening comments that Big Tom had it within his skills to have won five (5) majors and no less than 30 PGA tournaments.

The pity is that Big Tom failed to match his head with his body. Like I said in his day he was simply awesome to watch.

But -- golf is played on the course and not just on the beauty points from one's swing.

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 07:05:34 PM »
There's only one guy I know of who apparently completely put Weiskopf in his place on or around the golf course. Not surprisingly, it was our own straight talking Patrick Algernon Horatio Mucci! Apparently every time thereafter Weiskopf ran into him he tried everything he could think of to get back in Pat's good graces but Pat would have none of it.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 09:49:48 PM »
A majestic swing, a keen competitor but an absolute shit.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 10:04:59 PM »
Matt,
On issues like this, I have no problem speaking my mind. The man is a psychopath and as I said aout six months ago, he needs to be kept as far away from society as possible.

I have had my dealing with him, and being a person that could always give the person the benefit of the doubt or a second chance, I never want anything to do with him ever again.

However, I would like to see that course he did in Michigan. It looks pretty good.

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 10:33:50 PM »
Psychopath is a strong word Tommy...  

Unless he has a reason, or feels he has, I doubt TW is inclined to suddenly boil up in a fit of rage - as in spontaneous combustion...  Granted, he may have a short temper, and have suffered from diminished judgement during the course of his life, but psychopath?  C'mon now...

TW is a very gifted designer - and as a person is NOT a phony.  I respect that about him and will look forward the Golf Magazine read...

Thomas_Brown

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2004, 12:51:40 AM »
Tommy's stories aside, if I get paired w/ him I'll be sure to use pennies to mark.   >:(

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2004, 01:00:45 AM »
Tommy's stories aside, if I get paired w/ him I'll be sure to use pennies to mark.   >:(

Non-reflective pennies, Tom.  ;)
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back