News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Nugent

Cape Kidnappers: DAMN!!!
« on: July 28, 2005, 01:26:59 PM »
Just saw some pictures of Cape Kidnappers Resort, a new Doak course in New Zealand.  All I can say is, WOWWW!!  

Haven't found much online about the course.  I do see it's on the next 50.  Can anyone, including Tom, give more information in the meantime?

Tom_Doak

Re:Cape Kidnappers: DAMN!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 01:35:13 PM »
Jim:  There are several past threads about the course in the index here, if you can figure out how to use it.  I'm sure there was one in December or January after Jon Cummings got back from playing there in our Renaissance Cup event; and there is another from a New Zealander who took pictures hole-by-hole.

No matter what you see in pictures, it's bigger in three dimensions.

Punchbowl

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 01:37:47 PM »
Played Kidnappers in early March...It was just me and my caddie on the entire course....3-5 club wind all afternoon.  One of the most memorable rounds of golf I will probably ever play.  Forget about Pebble Beach and keep on going down to New Zealand to check this place out.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 01:45:25 PM »
Jim,

I was quite happy to make the trip from Nashville to Cape Kidnappers and would definitely recommend the journey.

The entrance to Cape Kidnappers is amazing in its own right. The small, low key clubhouse is an awfully pleasant place to hang out. Overall, the site itself is what Tom Doak once called a "wonder of the world".

But, there is also lots of good golf, including a 600 yard par 5 you can play with a putter.....as I saw intern Chris Hunt do.

Shots I most remember include:

the approach on #4 (landing the ball off the green and hoping to work the contour)

both the tee shot and approach on #14.....a short to moderate length version of the Road Hole

tee shot on #18.....for the sheer confusion of where to aim, something missing in too much modern architecture
Tim Weiman

Brian_Gracely

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 05:16:19 PM »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 06:19:07 PM »
Thanks for the links.  Looks incredible.  Will have to make the trip there some day.  

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 10:05:47 PM »
I should be in the neighborhood in about 6 months, I can't wait!

;D ;D
TK
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 10:06:03 PM by Tyler Kearns »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back