News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Geoff_Shackelford

Crenshaw on Augusta
« on: August 15, 2001, 07:29:00 PM »

Mike_Cirba

Crenshaw on Augusta
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2001, 07:48:00 PM »
As always, Ben remains the consummate gentleman in his criticism of ANGC.

I'm sure, however, that every pore of his being wanted to say, "WHAT THE F@*#*@ are those guys doing to the place??!!"

Sorry, Mr. Crenshaw, but sometimes primal screaming is the appropriate response.

Jeff_Brauer

Crenshaw on Augusta
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2001, 08:23:00 AM »
One problem I haven't heard discussed with the Augusta competition ball idea is that it levels the field too much. What if Tiger, Phil, et al work to peak their games for Augusta. Wouldn't swithching balls just for one week negate hard work, and perhaps lessen the skill level they display at the Masters? Confidence is a big key to their performance.  Or should the tour cancel events in the two weeks prior to the Masters to accomodate the change?

Would it bring many other lesser lights into the fray by sheer luck or inactivity - since it would allow them two weeks to get used to the different ball?   Would that increase the tournament's standing?  Is the drama of the tourney the best golfers, playing their best, or the course?

I actually endorse the added length - 18  was too short for a finisher, and 11 is plays too short for a long par 4.  Ditto for 13 and 15 if the goal is to restore the approximate dilemma of yesteryear in the second shot choice.

Overall, I think the added length is ok if they go back to no roughs, in that that combo would encourage harder swings and perhaps less accuracy to the "correct places".  I seem to recall that after growing the rough this year, more players finished below 10 under par than in any previous tournament, so growing rough seems not to be the way to toughen this course up.

I agree with Ben that the concept of rough and defending par only bring the Masters back to the middle a bit....of course, I could be wrong.

Jeff

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

ForkaB

Crenshaw on Augusta
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2001, 08:38:00 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks that Gentle Ben ripped off his idea for an Augusta competition ball from the conversations we had on that very issue several months ago?  To my knoweldge, this was the first place and that was the first time that the concept had been raised.  Perhaps GCA has more influence with more people than we can comprehend......

Any comments, Ben?

Masters® Fan

Crenshaw on Augusta
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2001, 02:33:00 AM »
zzzzzzzz

Scott_Burroughs

Crenshaw on Augusta
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2001, 07:21:00 AM »
Jeff,
   I don't think having to deal with a tournament ball would be that much of a stretch for them.  How is it any different than when they play The International?  They go there and the ball flies 10% farther and so they have to adjust to that.  10% in the other direction would be no different, IMO.

They've also had a few Opens in the high elevations at Cherry Hills, just as the women were at The Broadmoor (even higher than Denver) a few years ago.

aclayman

Crenshaw on Augusta
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2001, 07:48:00 AM »
Once again there seems to be a flaw in the premise.
If the Tour was interested in keeping these venues pristine and original, I think that this rolling back the ball idea, would have been the path taken. But, since they have chosen not to, and going low is associated with excitment, and since they are in the entertainment industry, the expenditures to destroy (alter), especially ANGC, just goes to show that they don't get it.
It, being eloquently put by our own esteemed contributor, Gib Pazarian, when at our recent outing at PG and raising his first glass at the tap room he uttered the toast,"Does it ever need to be more than that". Implying, that like the game itself, the simplicity of design is all that is needed to challenge and test, while simutateously entertaining and enhancing everyones enjoyment.

Gib- I have thought abought your offer to turn me into a 5 handicap and I can honestly say that I have no desire to become one. I think I can best describe my attitude this way: In the book "Golf in the Kingdom" I only quote that spoke to me. I found the toast that Mr. Irons serves up as my approach. " F#%K our ever getting better" This attitude has served me well as I have never tried but have done so, naturally.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back